If you had to choose

This is a discussion on If you had to choose within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Gen 4 Glock 19 and was going to add a Glock 36 then a 1911 much much latter. Earlier tonight, I had ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: If you had to choose

If you had to choose

I have a Gen 4 Glock 19 and was going to add a Glock 36 then a 1911 much much latter. Earlier tonight, I had to read "1911 why do you own one?" started by MichSteve. I know, I know, DUMBA!

So, I started to look. I can purchase a S&W 1911 PD blackened for $907 or stainless for $830. Both are true commander configuration, with three 8 round magazines. Or, the new Ruger for $650.

The S&W's have external extractors. I believe the Ruger's is internal. Not sure how important the placement of the extractor is to the performance.

Which would you choose and why?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Mike
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

2. Remove Ads

Smith & Wesson
    1) I have been drooling over the S&W for a few months
    2) the price is not bad at all for what you get
    3) Smith did not roll over & support the Clinton era weapons bans & caps
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    S&W all the way for me since you are asking for opinions. People are gettin too drunk off the Glockaide.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I would definitely go with the Smith & Wesson 1911PD, since you will get a lot more bang for your buck.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

The G36. You are already familiar with the Glock manual of arms. The BG will not know the difference between a bullet launched by a Glock and one launched by a 1911. Use the difference in price to get some training, and call it a day.

Better yet - stick with the G19 you already have. Train, train, train.
    Old School likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Administrator
    Never ever buy a new model gun, from any manufacture. Let some other impatient guy be the guinea pig with his money. Ruger's first runs are notoriously problematic.
    redrick likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I am a Glockaholic but I do have some other handguns.

My Glock .45 ACP's include a G-21 and a G-36 both of which are reliable and comfortable to shoot.

Last week I went shooting with "Old Vet" and shot his G-30. This was the first time I had ever shot one.

Before you decide on a carry .45 shoot as many different one's as you can but whatever you do make sure you shoot a G-30.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I would buy a 1911 but it would be a Colt or a Springfield Armory.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

@10thmnt -- I really enjoy my 19. It shoots well (as well as the shooter is capable of shooting) I train as often as budget allows.

@SIXTO -- point well taken.

@OLD SCHOOL -- I have shot a G30 and 36. I did well with both.

I keep shooting low left (trigger pull?) and as mentioned above train as often as budget allows (100 150 rounds a week). I missed two weeks and when I went to the range last week it was evident. My hope was that the trigger and SA on the 1911 would get me back to center quicker. Admittedly, I'm still a new rookie to handguns so my thinking may, like my shooting, may be off center :)
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

I say go with the Glock but that's mainly because I don't like safeties on my defensive guns.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I don't know if it would apply to a Ruger, Colt or Springfield but, I had three Kimbers with external extractors and had massive FTE problems. Sent them back to the factory and they replaced them with internal ones. Hence, no more FTE'S. Just saying...
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

VIP Member
    If your going to go with a 1911 my chose of the 2 listed would be the S&W. Not that I don't like Ruger, it's the same reason SIXTO gave. It's a new model for them and the bugs haven't been worked out yet.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by mwhartman View Post
    @10thmnt -- I really enjoy my 19. It shoots well (as well as the shooter is capable of shooting) I train as often as budget allows.

@SIXTO -- point well taken.

@OLD SCHOOL -- I have shot a G30 and 36. I did well with both.

I keep shooting low left (trigger pull?) and as mentioned above train as often as budget allows (100 150 rounds a week). I missed two weeks and when I went to the range last week it was evident. My hope was that the trigger and SA on the 1911 would get me back to center quicker. Admittedly, I'm still a new rookie to handguns so my thinking may, like my shooting, may be off center :)
    Some Thoughts:

Low left could indicate for a right handed shooter that they are anticipating recoil and as they press the trigger they are pushing down against the preceived recoil of the forthcoming shot just prior to the round being fired.

Try not to "pull" the trigger which can also cause low left but press the trigger with the pad of your finger.

Learn to stage the Glock trigger after the first shot so that the distance the trigger needs to move to fire the next shot is shorter and the triggers preceived resistance is lighter.

Good luck on your choice for your next handgun.

OS
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

You didn't state the purpose of your purchase (SD, Range, or whatever). Neither of your named 1911's would be my first choice (I would look at Colt and STI) and if you decide on one and it is for carry, consider the smaller size (eg, the PD or some other commander or commander-officer hybrid sized). I love 1911s, but if it is going to get carried, I usually opt for a Glock. In the Glock lineup of 45s, I prefer the 30, but that doesn't mean you would like it. We all have different likes and biases, so try to handle and shoot all of the weapons you are considering, then decide which seems like the best choice for you.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    I am a Glockaholic but I do have some other handguns.

My Glock .45 ACP's include a G-21 and a G-36 both of which are reliable and comfortable to shoot.

Last week I went shooting with "Old Vet" and shot his G-30. This was the first time I had ever shot one.

Before you decide on a carry .45 shoot as many different one's as you can but whatever you do make sure you shoot a G-30.
    How 'bout that? Last week I went shooting with "Old School" and shot his G36 for the first time.

Personally I consider the size differences between the G30 and G36 to be pretty minimal. In fact, I felt the G36 grip was longer (it did have the Hogue rubber sleeve), front to back, than my G30. Admittedly I reduced my G30 grip ever so slightly and like it better now, but as to width the difference is slight. Weight is a different matter. More 230 grain .45 ammo is going to be heavier, but that's a trade-off for packing more ammo.

The G36 had a tad more snap to it, but to me the deciding factor between the two would be how many rounds one chooses to carry. I like having 2-3 more rounds than a 1911 and 4 more than the 36. But we each have our own "comfort zone" in regards to weight and capacity.

Enjoyed the heck out of the range time, Old School. It's nice to put some lead downrange--"Old School" style!
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links