OK, Glock guys

OK, Glock guys

This is a discussion on OK, Glock guys within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Last month I meant to get a 9mm, but wound up getting a 357 SIG M&P instead. Looks like I still need a 9. I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: OK, Glock guys

OK, Glock guys

Last month I meant to get a 9mm, but wound up getting a 357 SIG M&P instead. Looks like I still need a 9. I know nothing of Glocks. I can get an M&P 9mm with three mags and tritium sights for 500 dollars. Or I could get something else. So I ask you Glock guys to tell me why I need a Glock. Or do I need to shoot one to understand? Am considering the G19. Tell me why I should get the Glock (two mags, standard sights) over the M&P (three mags, night sights).

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    I am a Glock fan, They just fit me and I have never had any issues with any of mine, but they are not for everyone. I would suggest that if all possible you should shoot both weapons and see for yourself which one suits you best. If there is a range nearby that rents them or you know someone that owns one. In my opinion, you wont go wrong with either one.
    I would not suggest buying a gun based soley on advise from the internet. As you will see..... you will have MANY different opinions coming your way from this thread.

Good Luck
    Old School likes this.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AZJD1968 View Post
    I am a Glock fan, They just fit me and I have never had any issues with any of mine, but they are not for everyone. I would suggest that if all possible you should shoot both weapons and see for yourself which one suits you best. If there is a range nearby that rents them or you know someone that owns one. In my opinion, you wont go wrong with either one.
    I would not suggest buying a gun based soley on advise from the internet. As you will see..... you will have MANY different opinions coming your way from this thread.

Good Luck
    This is the best advice you're going to get, period.
    AZJD1968 and mr.stuart like this.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

I love my Glocks...but I am a fan of quality, reliable guns which include HK and Sig for me. The M&P sounds like a good deal. Have you shot both?

I love my Glocks. I like how they feel and I am more than comfortable trusting my life to mine every second of every day. I want a gun that could possibly be thrown across the parking lot and dropped in the dirt and water and still function perfectly. They are simple to maintain, (most modern guns are though) Very durable finish, Good company--will work with you if you need something, they will eat any ammo you put through them--no hassle, no worries, no nothing. You buy it and your glock will eat it. (Thats my favorite thing, I hate that my other guns are picky at times...)

Bottom line, AZJD has the best advice. Go rent both and see how they feel. Different guns have different grip patterns, angles and thicknesses. One may be more accurate/comfortable then the other for you. To each his own.

Good luck my friend.

VIP Member
    Let me ask you this, why are you getting a 9mm? Are you trying to get a smaller gun that is easier to conceal?

I think the answer is no. I think you just want to buy another pistol just to have a different caliber gun. Don't. A G19 is just about the same size as a M&P so you're not really gaining anything CC wise. You already have a fine weapon in the full/medium sized pistol class. Keep it and shoot it until you can't miss with it.

Now if you want a smaller CCW pistol then IMO the 9mm is the way to go. The M&P 9c or the G26 will fill a different niche for you than your .357 Sig does.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Glock has one hell of a reputation. Many feel it is the epitome of reliability and accuracy right out of the box. The Glock torture test is a testament to a solid, reliable design and build. It is combat tested and it passed.

That said, reputation alone is no reason to buy something that doesn't suit your needs, your taste or your personal feel towards the gun.

Ergonomics has a lot to do whether a gun is going to work for you or not. The Glock does not fit, or suit everyone.

I have a Glock 23 and love it. I'm thinking of trading it in for a Glock in another caliber as I'm wanting to standardize my caliber choices somewhat and the G-23 is the only gun I have in .40 cal.

I also have an XD9sc by comparison and feel it is everything the Glock is. Lots of others would disagree and that is fine, and probably very valid for them. I'm also a fan of 1911's and two of those. Several revolvers too. It's a matter of personal taste as much as anything else. And what works for you ergonomically. If it's reliable, fits your hand, and allows you to shoot well, it's a winning combination!

I have heard a lot of good things about the M&P and if you are liking your M&P and feel it was a good choice, there's no reason not to get another one in the 9mm.

For whatever reason, Glock became a phenomenon. It swept the law enforcement community from coast to coast and there was no looking back. That does not mean, any of the others are inferior or the Glock is supreme. It is what it is.

If you are considering a Glock, either find one to try out, or go ahead and get one and shoot it. It will either meet your approval or it won't.

But if you're really liking the M&P you already have, don't believe you have to get a Glock because everyone says so.

I've had my Glock for 12 years and love it. But when I got an XD 2 years ago, or so, I found it is also an excellent gun. And as far as I'm concerned, every bit as much as the Glock. Until one or the other proves me wrong, (which hasn't happened yet), I have no reason to second guess my decisions.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Let me ask you this, why are you getting a 9mm? Are you trying to get a smaller gun that is easier to conceal?

I think the answer is no. I think you just want to buy another pistol just to have a different caliber gun. Don't. A G19 is just about the same size as a M&P so you're not really gaining anything CC wise. You already have a fine weapon in the full/medium sized pistol class. Keep it and shoot it until you can't miss with it.

Now if you want a smaller CCW pistol then IMO the 9mm is the way to go. The M&P 9c or the G26 will fill a different niche for you than your .357 Sig does.
    And another gun in another caliber thats easier to shoot and train with is bad why?
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

I have professionally & Civilian carried/ CCw's a Glock (17,19,23) since 1987.

From 1971-1987, I CCW a 1911 Colt Commander in 45.ACP or a Browning HP in 9mm.

I have ccw other guns for a short period but always end up going back to the Glock. Over the years I have tried to CCW the Kahr CW, (.40 S&W and the .45 ACP) series, the Kahr MK9, S&W j frames-2 & 3 inchers, with and without an exposed hammers, S&WS K frame 4 inch and 2 1/2 inch, Colt snubbies, A Sig, Glock Sub compacts, a Walter PP and PPKS, 1911 Full size Govt models in .45 ACP and 9mm, Star models 28 and 30, Star PD, S&W model 39. KEL-TEC P-3AT . Kel tec 32 ACP, Colt Model 1909 in .380.

These have all went by-by, some sold, some traded. and I have retained just 3 handguns. the Glock 19 or 23 for CCW and a Glock 35 for Competition.

I have to agree the Glock is not for everyone but they seem to have stuck to me.

I look at the my Glock the same as I looked at my issued USMC K-Bar. There maybe many others out there that does some things better, but my Glock and my K-bar does all things good enought
    Bark'n, WHEC724 and Old School like this.

Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    Last month I meant to get a 9mm, but wound up getting a 357 SIG M&P instead. Looks like I still need a 9. I know nothing of Glocks. I can get an M&P 9mm with three mags and tritium sights for 500 dollars. Or I could get something else. So I ask you Glock guys to tell me why I need a Glock. Or do I need to shoot one to understand? Am considering the G19. Tell me why I should get the Glock (two mags, standard sights) over the M&P (three mags, night sights).
    I am a big glock fan; however, I'm also a fan of cross compatibility between holsters, support gear and training, uniform trigger pull, weapon manipulation & sights.

If you have an M&P - run with it.

I'd have went with a Glock for the AA Conversion Kit to use .22lr when you shoot to save cash...but if you like the M&P and can afford to feed it, run with it.

The quality difference and durability difference between glock and M&P is minimal, and it's really a matter of how you shoot each, how you train and if you are willing to keep on top of the minimal maintenance each requires.

Gen 4 Glocks come with three mags.

VIP Member
    I'm not a Glock or M&P guy. Since you already have an M&P, the question I'd ask is do you like the way it shoots and handles? If so I'd stick with a platform your familiar with and like. If not, then explore other options. Either way, shoot what your considering, if possible, before buying one.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I used to hate the looks and feel of Bricks, errr, Glocks.
    It was a slow transformation, but now I have five Glocks.
    The Glock-36 is my EDC, but I also have the Glock-21 and 30 for .45's, and the 19 and 26 for 9mm.
    The Glock-19, as to your question, would be a fine addition of quality, dependability, and accuracy. It doesn't get much better...
    Bark'n likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    For me, I put accuracy over "comfortable" grip any day. For instance, I have a Glock 30. Compared to some other "concealables," it's fat, heavy, and wouldn't win any beauty contests. I much prefer the looks and feel of my S&W 3 gens, but the G30 will out shoot both of them as far as making holes where the sights align.

There's three basic styles of handguns: those that look pretty in a case; those that make one ragged hole in the paper targets; and those that get the SD job done when called upon and looks and pinpoint accuracy don't matter.

Try as many makes as you can and then decide which suits you best for the intended purpose. Nothing else nor anyone else's opinion matters.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I'm not as experienced as most who have replied. When I was looking for a 9 MM, I looked at the M&P and the Glock. I was not able to shoot the M&P but was abel to shoot the Glock. Both felt good in my hand. For me, the stack sights of the M&P just did not work. I ended up with a Gen 4 G 19 and Glock night sights. I have not regrets. In fact, I plan to add a Glock 36 very very soon.

Let us know what you decide.

Mike
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links