Diamondback 9mm: 3 Range Trips and I'm loving it

This is a discussion on Diamondback 9mm: 3 Range Trips and I'm loving it within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Went out today for my 3rd range trip to shoot my Diamondback 9mm(DB9) and have to say this gun has to be the best small ...

Thread: Diamondback 9mm: 3 Range Trips and I'm loving it

Diamondback 9mm: 3 Range Trips and I'm loving it

Went out today for my 3rd range trip to shoot my Diamondback 9mm(DB9) and have to say this gun has to be the best small 9mm in it's price class.

The first range trip I was having issues with some rounds FTF, but have since learned that this was more than likely caused by having a Crimson Trace installed on the gun. Since removing the CT the gun has swallowed up Blazer Brass 115gr FMJ's and Winchester Ranger SXT 147gr JHP's.

Read my complete review along with comparisons between the Kahr PM9 and S&W Bodyguard .380, with range report info and more.

RKBA Holsters: Diamondback 9mm DB9 - Updated 7/3 : Success!!!!

www.RKBAholsters.com

Check it out for quality reasonably priced leather and kydex Pocket, IWB and OWB Holsters......

2. Remove Ads

I personally would shoot 124 grain out of a short barrel pistol
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I personally would shoot 124 grain out of a short barrel pistol
    I've got to find a good 124gr self defense load locally. I tried out some Hornady TAP 124gr XTP JHP's and they worked fine, but they're not a very good load for expansion and they penetrate too much.
    www.RKBAholsters.com

Check it out for quality reasonably priced leather and kydex Pocket, IWB and OWB Holsters......

I'm a firm believer in lasers on defensive pistols, and what I observed at a recent low light pistol class I took only reinforced that belief. For me, no CT laser = no go.

Given that this price class now includes the Kahr CM9, I'd have to disagree with your assessment. The DB9 does not lock the slide open when empty, and is not rated for continuous use of +P ammo. It is lighter in weight - its only advantage over the Kahr. It is also a bit larger, going by the posted specs.

Glad you like yours, but I'll pass. I was considering it, but no longer.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    I'm a firm believer in lasers on defensive pistols, and what I observed at a recent low light pistol class I took only reinforced that belief. For me, no CT laser = no go.

Given that this price class now includes the Kahr CM9, I'd have to disagree with your assessment. The DB9 does not lock the slide open when empty, and is not rated for continuous use of +P ammo. It is lighter in weight - its only advantage over the Kahr. It is also a bit larger, going by the posted specs.

Glad you like yours, but I'll pass. I was considering it, but no longer.
    The DB9 is considerably smaller than the CM9, I've got both here to compare. I hate the slide lock on the Kahr's, they are sharp and make a high hold very painful.

This is not a gun for a fire fight IMHO, it's designed to get you out of a pinch. In that role I feel it's at the top of the list.
    www.RKBAholsters.com

I've never seen a DB9 in person, so I'll defer to you there. On the mouseguns chart, they seem about the exact same size. In any event, they both fit into the "pocketable" category, so any slight difference is moot - they both fit into a pocket, though the DB9 is lighter in weight.

The slide lock on the Kahrs is sharp, but I do not use a high hold, so no issue there. If you are so inclined, a few moments with a dremel with take care of that. I like that it tells me when I'm empty - with only 7 rounds on tap, that is important to me. It tells me when I need to drop it and go to my LCP secondary...

If you're going to carry a small/low capacity gun, better to carry two of them.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

I agree somewhat with 10thmtn. I dont necessarily think a laser is mandatory, but the fact that I wanted one on there and the gun wont function without it, makes it a no go for me too. Too many other depenedable Mini 9s out there that will work regardless of what accessories you add. Glad you like yours. BTW for a good 124 gr 9mm look at the Gold Dots. Should be a short barrel load from them too.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post

If you're going to carry a small/low capacity gun, better to carry two of them.
    I agree with that.
    www.RKBAholsters.com

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    I agree somewhat with 10thmtn. I dont necessarily think a laser is mandatory, but the fact that I wanted one on there and the gun wont function without it, makes it a no go for me too. Too many other depenedable Mini 9s out there that will work regardless of what accessories you add. Glad you like yours. BTW for a good 124 gr 9mm look at the Gold Dots. Should be a short barrel load from them too.
    Crimson Trace is working to fix the issue, they need to remove a little material to stop the upward pressure on the bottom of the dust cover.

I'll have to try the Gold Dots, I'm sure one of the shops in Portland has them.
    www.RKBAholsters.com

Links