Youtube Video: Guy shoot himself on leg while drawing from holster

This is a discussion on Youtube Video: Guy shoot himself on leg while drawing from holster within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Another point. He mentioned using a Glock then a Kimber 1911. I will carry a 642 revolver or a Glock. Two different platforms. Two different ...

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: Youtube Video: Guy shoot himself on leg while drawing from holster

Another point. He mentioned using a Glock then a Kimber 1911. I will carry a 642 revolver or a Glock. Two different platforms. Two different grips, reloading methods, sights, etc. It is nice to think I will remember what I have but under stress? Lets just hope we learn from someone elses mistake. Evil finger.
    " The illegal we do immediately. The unconstitutional takes a little longer." Henry Kissenger

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    above all else, his error was breaking the rule concerning trigger and finger.

all else is secondary--a very distant second.

some can adjust very well though practice and or natural ability to different things.
    others can not even find the wipers on the wifes' car after the 3rd try.
    start slow, be smooth; smooth will become fast with out trying.
    and above all else--observe at all times the 4 rule.s
    we who have thought about them, know that you can in fact break one of them without causing injury
    (the ringing in your ears may stop...) but he did 3 wrong.

back to one platform, you know yourself best.....train to improve your abilities
    rather than to match someone else's.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Experience is the best trainer...unfortunately some of it hurts...a lot.

I'm of the opinion that the root cause was rushing into fast drawing and firing with live rounds with a holster/firearm combo that he had not sufficiently trained with before hand. If he had trained with it slowly unloaded and then worked up to faster speeds perhaps this problem would have revealed itself without him getting injured....or perhaps not. JMO.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

OUCH!!!
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

I may get flamed for this since there are ravenous fans of it, but this is one of the reasons I do not care for the Serpa holster (which I believe is the holster he was using during the ND). The problem I have with it is where the actuation mechanism lays on the holster. Muscle memory training of the trigger finger should, if possible, should be limited to 2 things in my opinion. Laying along the side of the firearm and pulling the trigger. When you start asking your trigger finger to perform other movements in there, you're asking for trouble. When you are depending on your muscle memory to actuate more mechanisms without thinking for sudden, quick action scenarios in order to speed up response time, you are asking for trouble with things like this. Training with the Serpa in this case was more of the issue than the training with the 5.11 holster in this instance, in my opinion. You can flick that 1911 safety of and on all day long without a discharge. It's when you put that finger on the trigger when bad stuff happens. Watching that video in slow motion only confirms it in my mind. Truly, the fault is his; he has chosen poorly with relation to equipment and consistency in training with it.

The Serpa was accually disigned To have trigger finger staight & drag as you are appliying preasure, As to remain in along side the trigger gaurd. Just a thought ; ) PS OOHHCH !!
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Quote Originally Posted by hogdaddy View Post
    The Serpa was accually disigned To have trigger finger staight & drag as you are appliying preasure, As to remain in along side the trigger gaurd. Just a thought ; ) PS OOHHCH !!
    H/D
    You are correct, great concept, but as you see here, it is a poor design when put into action. With a normal holster, you do not need to apply pressure to the side of the holster to have your finger along side the firearm on the draw cycle; you simply straighten and extend your trigger finger. Muscle Memory. If you are applying pressure, and your finger is not where it is supposed to be, it will find the path of least resistance. When you stress a shooter more (say in a gun battle), movements can be exaggerated and more forceful. The path of least resistance, in this case with downward pressure of the trigger finger, is an open hole; the trigger guard. If it happens to one person who is able to admit it, how many others are out there has this happened to that won't? I've seen this while instructing on the range. Fortunately, the round only grazed the heal of my shooter's boot. Since that incident, no more Serpas on my range.

VIP Member
    Lucky guy, and publically admitted to making a mistake.

Extracting the positive............the video is good to share, makes a great wake-up call.
    ejes and OD* like this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Wow, I bet that hurt like a son of a gun. Thank goodness he wasn't practicing with a hollow point.

I have mixed thoughts about this because when I saw the first part of the video I was thinking "idiot". Then I heard him speak and explain it and thought differently. Mistakes happen, and if you practice stuff like this it is bound to happen. And in the heat of battle and a real situation, who knows what would happen.

One thing I take away from it, a retention holster isn't a great choice for CC. I'll stick with my open top leather holsters.
    garyacman and rolyat63 like this.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    Wow, I bet that hurt like a son of a gun. Thank goodness he wasn't practicing with a hollow point.

I have mixed thoughts about this because when I saw the first part of the video I was thinking "idiot". Then I heard him speak and explain it and thought differently. Mistakes happen, and if you practice stuff like this it is bound to happen. And in the heat of battle and a real situation, who knows what would happen.

One thing I take away from it, a retention holster isn't a great choice for CC. I'll stick with my open top leather holsters.
    if you are going to believe that, than you are going to live a self-fulfilling prophecy.

and if you practice smart , as do the great majority of us--we have not had 'mistakes' resulting in emergency room visits. if we had--than the newspapers would be full of these stories: they are not cause these 'mistake' are not common nor are they mistakes--they are acts done in a careless or poorly trained manor.

if you can not come to realize that guns are special--they require that you think, pay attention and think some more.
    and the word 'mistake' and 'gun' only go in the same sentence like this:

"His mistake was in buying a gun cause he did not receive the proper training nor did he learn to respect it."
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Although the shooter is ultimately responsible, I do place some blame on the holster. In the heat of sudden, unexpected combat, a holster that requires you to use your trigger finger to release the gun is a poor design. It's fine for the range, I suppose, but I would never use such a holster for my every day carry.

Switching from one holster design to another is also a supremely bad idea, for a defensive handgun. Two different kinds of release mechanisms are a no-no, as you do build muscle memory when training for a defensive draw. This is why I use open top holsters with no mechanical retention for my EDC, and stay with the same style of handgun (no safety lever, draw and pull trigger), even if not the same brand of handgun.
    ejes and garyacman like this.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Ditto to haystacker!
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

Not much to add. He was somewhat fortunate, in that, noting the ground impact of the round, he nearly also hit his foot.

As noted by others two different operating holsters, with two different operating pistols, introduces four variables into the equation. Not something I personally care for. I also do not care for built in retention devices on ccw holsters.
    OD* likes this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    1. Finger off trigger until pointing downrange.

2. Passive retention holsters ONLY for me.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

I like to compare this to driving a car. You can have a perfect driving record for 30 years, but eventually you can make a mistake and cause an accident. When you do, the person you hit is going to call you a moron, an unsafe driver, etc. You will be judged by that one incident.

Before anyone starts insulting this guy and calling him a moron, saying his gun rights should be revoked, and all of the other comments I anticipate, I would like to point out that this could happen to any of us. I'm glad this guy's injuries appear to be minor.

This is the primary reason I like to carry unchambered 90% of the time. I realize there is an added risk in the event of an attack, but I also recognize this type of incident as being equal if not greater risk than the alternative. As I've said before, I do not attempt to advocate others to follow my example. I simply want people to understand the reasons for my person decision. One last thing - please do not turn this into a flame war. And lets all be glad this guy took the time to share his story with us, lets not ridicule him.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links