Youtube Video: Guy shoot himself on leg while drawing from holster - Page 4

Youtube Video: Guy shoot himself on leg while drawing from holster

This is a discussion on Youtube Video: Guy shoot himself on leg while drawing from holster within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK been reading all of the posts for a while and thought I'd throw in 2 more cents. I think a guy who admits to ...

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: Youtube Video: Guy shoot himself on leg while drawing from holster

OK been reading all of the posts for a while and thought I'd throw in 2 more cents. I think a guy who admits to making a mistake after taking a bullet shouldn't be called an idiot.
    First his pride probably hurts almost as much as his leg.
    Second just because you don't feel his admission of fault is 100% in line with what what actually occured doesn't mean he should be labeled an idiot. Lets give the guy a little slack for trying to save just a little face (after taking a bullet).
    I have a lot of respect for someone who makes a mistake, tries to learn from it and ligitimately tries to pass on knowledge to as many people as possible to prevent other people from making a similar mistake. A man I knew and respected very much back in the Navy once told me,"everyone makes mistakes, but how a man recovers is what defines him." I heard those words after I made my own bonehead mistake. (did not concern firearms) I just wish everyone would cut the guy a little more slack and take away his obvious intentions of being carefull with your firearms and don't think it cant happen to you.
    ejes and OD* like this.

I make my own leather holsters,boned to the gun,the retention is in the trigger area,I don't like retention holsters for CC since I've seen hammer straps hang and hinder the draw.It seems like everybody with a target stand and a Video Camera suddenly becomes an expert in how to shoot a handgun,Major Fail don't quit your night job
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    It seems like everybody with a target stand and a Video Camera suddenly becomes an expert in how to shoot a handgun
    ^^This. I can't believe some of the people who are "teaching" under the 'Expert Village' banner..giving horrible advice.

Still, the only blame I can give this guy in the video is using the wrong holster. Serpas are pumped up too much, and they are dangerous.

Doodle,

I thought about what you said. I have come to the conclusion that he is still an idiot.
    claude clay likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by G19inLV View Post
    Still, the only blame I can give this guy in the video is using the wrong holster. Serpas are pumped up too much, and they are dangerous.
    I'm not familiar with the Serpa holster. I must admit being a little confused on the whole holster issue. I was always trained that anytime you are drawing a weapon or even pointing a weapon, your trigger finger should be on the side of the gun, above the trigger. In fact, one of my OWB paddle holsters actually has a button which must be lightly depressed in order to remove the gun from the holster, and the location of the button actually puts your finger exactly where it is supposed to be on the gun once the gun is fully withdrawn from the holster.

So am I to understand this guy was putting his finger around the trigger as he was pulling the gun out? Or is it something I am missing in regards to the "serpa" holster?

The holster had nothing to do with the ND. He drew the weapon out of the holster...and then before he put the muzzle on target, he put his finger on the trigger, swept his leg with the muzzle, and pulled the trigger.

Again...this was a training issue...but of course, there are those who believe the equipment should be blamed and bashed.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    I'm not familiar with the Serpa holster. I must admit being a little confused on the whole holster issue. I was always trained that anytime you are drawing a weapon or even pointing a weapon, your trigger finger should be on the side of the gun, above the trigger. In fact, one of my OWB paddle holsters actually has a button which must be lightly depressed in order to remove the gun from the holster, and the location of the button actually puts your finger exactly where it is supposed to be on the gun once the gun is fully withdrawn from the holster.

So am I to understand this guy was putting his finger around the trigger as he was pulling the gun out? Or is it something I am missing in regards to the "serpa" holster?
    The Serpa calls for you to push a retention device that is directly over the trigger. The retention is in the trigger, and to release it, you have to push it in causing your finger to be directly on the trigger, with pressure instead of along the side of the gun, above the trigger. Your understanding is correct. Although he was not using the Serpa when this happened, his training with it earlier in the day causes his finger to be where it would need to be to release the retention device of the Serpa, and that place is directly on the trigger. Very dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    Serpa - Just say NO!

However I fully expect the disciples of the cult to cry blasphemy. I would submit that a mechanism which when working properly and as designed yet allows improper operation that results in injury is a poorly designed and flawed mechanism. YMMV, but I allow no Serpa's in my class.
    Because the shooter doesn't bear any responsibility for their NDs? Trigger discipline is required, regardless of the holster. The Serpa doesn't "make" anyone do anything...it's all up to the shooter.

You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    The holster had nothing to do with the ND. He drew the weapon out of the holster...and then before he put the muzzle on target, he put his finger on the trigger, swept his leg with the muzzle, and pulled the trigger.

Again...this was a training issue...but of course, there are those who believe the equipment should be blamed and bashed.
    The holster had everything to do with it, but you are correct in that it was a training issue. His training with a Serpa caused his finger to be in a dangerous spot upon unholstering the firearm, which caused the discharge. Again, people discharging their weapon because of the placement of their finger while using a Serpa (or heavily training with one) is not something new, and has happened enough to warrant the holster to be a safety issue.

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Because the shooter doesn't bear any responsibility for their NDs? Trigger discipline is required, regardless of the holster. The Serpa doesn't "make" anyone do anything...it's all up to the shooter.
    The problem is the trigger discipline needed when using a Serpa is not a safe discipline.

The Serpa calls for you to push a retention device that is directly over the trigger. The retention is in the trigger, and to release it, you have to push it in causing your finger to be directly on the trigger, with pressure instead of along the side of the gun, above the trigger. Your understanding is correct. Although he was not using the Serpa when this happened, his training with it earlier in the day causes his finger to be where it would need to be to release the retention device of the Serpa, and that place is directly on the trigger. Very dangerous.
    Thank you for that explanation. I now understand the issue a little better. It sounds to me like I would probably never buy such a holster. That actually sounds crazy that the retention release would place your finger right on the trigger. Most holsters don't even have a release button and those that I've seen and own that do have a button force your finger to the "safe" position above the trigger when removing. I would not not have it any other way.

My Instructor even said that everyone has had an ND. Well, I've been shooting for 26 + years, not a single ND. A friend of mine had a ND with a 22lr and shot himself in his foot.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

The problem is the trigger discipline needed when using a Serpa is not a safe discipline.

Seriously? You need different trigger discipline with a Serpa than with a regular holster? YHGTBSM. What is difficult about keeping your finger off the trigger when drawing?

i like the vid he made, he takes responsibility for his actions.

when he actually shot himself i laughed pretty hard at his response to doing it! lol
    There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    1. It's not hard to look around DC and find a couple old threads about members who admit to NDs. They're pretty long threads. A shooter may go his whole life without an ND, or he may not. The thing is, if you carry and shoot a firearm, there is the potential to have an ND. Some reach that potential, some don't. Knowing about the potential to have an ND, and taking the steps to prevent it, is what keeps you from having an ND. If you believe in the potential, you have brought your safety level up a notch. IMHO if you don't believe in the potential of having an ND, you are fooling yourself and at the least setting yourself up to eat some serious crow.

2. As far as the videographer's comments a la 'stuff happens' etc., he was talking off the cuff, not reading a prepared speech. Either he was just filling in the time with oft used phrases from our popular lexicon, or they were Freudian slips unmasking chinks in his armor. I can't say one way or the other but I don't think he would consciously sit down, write and rewrite a statement (while not on painkillers!) for public consumption, and leave those phrases in.

3. Maybe he, Plaxico Burress and 'ATF Professional Fowtay' can get together to make a public service announcement.
    OD* and adric22 like this.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links