Have you fired the model 905 by Taurus?

This is a discussion on Have you fired the model 905 by Taurus? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Why is it or isn't it worth owning?.........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Have you fired the model 905 by Taurus?

Have you fired the model 905 by Taurus?

Why is it or isn't it worth owning?......

2. Remove Ads

I love mine... I have one because my other guns are 9mm.
    Go to taurusarmed.net and look in the revolver section and you'll see a few threads on the 905.

Friends don't let friends buy A Taurus...I'm just sayin'...
    azchevy likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I have a 940 S&W and I'd say a 9mm snub is worth owning. The main reason is "don't see one of those everyday". bt it gives as good or better performance than .38s of similar weights.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Love mine. well worth the money. I just bought the Taurus 405 also. I am a little mad at Taurus though. It did not come with the full ribber grips like it show on the catalog or every picture it came with. It came with the little concealed grips like on the 85.... It does need the full grips on the 405, plenty stout recoil. Still better recoil then the
    85UL.

steve

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Very useful... Thanks....

Had mine for 6 years, LOVE IT!! Cheap ammo, not much recoil, accurate, and fun to shoot! Better stopping power in 2" barrel than .38, and cheaper bullets, why wouldn't anyone want one. And...mine is as well-made as any gun you could buy for twice the price -- over 1500 rounds through it and it's still as tight as it was new.

Quote Originally Posted by whodog View Post
    Very useful... Thanks....
    Yep...not a very useful response is it?

I have not shot one, but have shot other 9mm snubbies. I like the idea of a 9mm snub nose. I would say you should go for it.

Danimal, what have you shot via 9mm snubbies and your thoughts about them? I'm just curious. I've only shot the 905. I know there are others out there, but not shot them. The 905, I believe, is the only new gun in the offering as of now. Charter Arms is bringing the 9mm/.380 snubby out supposedly this fall, also. But I still like my Taurus, despite "friends", LOL.

Is my info correct that this 9mm revolver comes ported from Taurus???

Whodog,

My dad has a Ruger SP101 in 9mm. I have also shot a Ruger SP101 that had the cylinder re-chambered by this guy:

Pinnacle-Guns.com: Pinnacle High Performance Custom Gunsmithing

I think they are neat little guns. I have a few Taurus revos. I think for the most part they make fairly good guns.

I wouldn't hold my breath on the Charter release. They have supposedly been coming out for over 3 or 4 years now. I am tired of waiting.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I agree. I only had 100 rounds through my 651 when it the cylinder fell off the weapon. Then I had to deal with the nightmare that is taurus customer service. Once I finally got it back, I promptly sold it while I still could. The LCR I bought was only 130 bucks more and now has more than 2000 trouble free rounds... not to mention a prompt courteous company to back it up. With Taurus, I got what I paid for and then some. I have had issues with other manufacturers as well, but never had to deal with incompetent, non communicating, rude, slow customer service like that before. Never again. Maybe one day if they ever overhaul their customer service/warranty department. But as it stands now, my money and recommendations go elsewhere. Their taurusarmed.net actually had a sub forum for Taurus customer service complaints. Seriously!!! I have never seen that on any other manufacturer based internet forum. I should have done more research before I tried to save a buck.

I'm no fan of Taurus. I had a DAO 905 Instant Backup. Great idea, that particular model has a shorter frame and cylinder than the .38spls. The problem was poor execution of that great idea. Poor fit and a cylinder that would bind against the barrel made the gun useless to me and Taurus customer service is well known for it's inability to fix things in a timely manner but I tried them anyway. When I called about it they wanted me to pay for round trip shipping and, IMO, that's a deal breaker. If other manufacturers can cover shipping for warranty work, Taurus can too but instead choose not to. So, based on my personal experience with the 905 and other Taurus poducts, their quality control is too hit and miss for me to consider purchasing any more of their guns. Who knows, you might get lucky, but remember - When they're good, they're very good. But when they're bad, they're horrid.

I also have a custom 9mm S&W 360J that was modified by Pinnacle. I've been carrying it as a BUG and sometimes primary for 2.5 years now and it has been a great gun. I've also owned a S&W PC 940, another great gun but it weighed 22oz. Compared to the 13oz weight of my 360J it just didn't do anything better enough to make me choose it over the other.

If you want a 9mm snubby your choices are very limited and price makes the Taurus attractive but, like I said, be aware that CS can be questionable and getting something fixed is costly and very time consuming.

Cheap guns are cheap for a reason. Oh sure, you will have some guns that are ok, but over all, there has been something short cutted to reduce price.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

After noting the last 3 posters, we shall move on... Thanks, danimal, I don't have any faith in Charter Arms, either, but I don't have my .380 now, so that doesn't matter, anymore... The SP101 definitely is a possibility...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links