G19 - XS big dot VS triicon 3 dot

This is a discussion on G19 - XS big dot VS triicon 3 dot within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I bought my G19 a couple weeks ago used (LNIB) and it came with 3 dot triji night sites. I like them. Most of my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: G19 - XS big dot VS triicon 3 dot

G19 - XS big dot VS triicon 3 dot

I bought my G19 a couple weeks ago used (LNIB) and it came with 3 dot triji night sites. I like them. Most of my pistols and pistols I have shot have had 3 dot sights on them. I had planed on buying my G19 new with factory sights and putting on XS big dots but I saw this one on my local gun forum and it was to good of a deal to pass up. I have never used the XS sights but have heard good things about them for defensive pistols. So here's the question. Stick with the 3 dot triji's or go with the XS's? Have you used the XS sights? How did you like them compared to standard 3 dots?
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

2. Remove Ads

I'll be watching this one closely. I just picked up a G19 as well that has the factory sights (not night sight) and was looking at adding either the XS or 3 Dot night sight variety. I know Glock will put their night sights on for $57 if you send them the slide.

Have you guys looked at Americlo +0 ghost ring 3 dot night sights??? really work great...super quick on target a real +

I have the standard dot on my G19 and the big dot on my 638 snubby. I really like how fast they are. Not for precision but if its intent is to be a defensive pistol, speed in picking up a sight picture is more important. I like XS on my carry guns but have the factory adjustable sights on my 686 and MKIII that I don't carry.

In a dimly lit circumstance of SD, the only thing that a night sight (Trij) will do is allow you to point shoot with some accuracy.
    I have Trijicons on my Glocks, and that's all that is needed for point shooting. I don't think that sights in general will be much of an aid in a Wally World parking lot.OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    I also have Trijicons 3dot, green - green on all of my Glocks and like them very much.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

I like the big dot's. You need to give them a couple of range trips before you decide. People seem to love them or hate them. I use them on all my self defense guns so that my sights are all the same. It's hard to shot big dot's, then go to 3 dot without a few practice shots when shooting, vice versa.

I had trijicon for years on my Colt Officers. I don't really use my sights exceept for so IDPA past 12 yards. I decided to put XS on my Glock 19 and I am glad I did. Why? I am older and the bigger front sight just works for me when I use a sighted shot versus a point shoot. Old guys point shoot!

I keep Mep's for my three dot night sights for my Glocks. I'm gonna put a big dot on my Ruger KLCR though cause thats a point and shoot platform for me.
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

I have Big Dots on several pistols. Think of them as more of an aid to point shooting than a precision shooting sight. I only use them due to recent vision loss.

XS Big Dots are the fastest target acquisition I have found out of a night sight. They are not designed with competition accuracy in mind. A 3-dot sight is more accurate inherently, but the purpose of the Big Dot is that your mind can process dotting an "i" faster than lining up three dots. Processing two items happens faster than processing three.

In short: XS Big Dots - fast target acquisition, Three Dot Sights, accuracy.

Granted, the loss of accuracy is negligible at 10 - 15 yards. You may be in the 9 ring instead of the 10 ring, but when getting the shot off faster than the BG, a 10th of a second may be the clincher.

Personally I would rather have a laser than a Night Sight. After dark and after the first muzzle flash your night sights are going to be pretty worthless anyway. Either way, do not get dependent on it.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

I have shot them on a frineds guns and I have an XS on my M&P 340. IMO they are not worth switching out a perfectly good set of trijicons for. If your Trij sights were dim or you had the factory plastic sights I woudl tellyou to do it, butnot worth the money you could spend on ammo.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I really like the Ameriglo I-Dot Pro sights that came on my G19 EXO. That red ring around the front pops out at you in daylight.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Last month, I purchased a Gen 4 G19 with factory installed Glock night sights. I'm still getting used to the gun and the sights. For me, the biggest issue is my eyes. I'll be 64 next month, wear contacts so my distant vision is very sharp. My close up (sights) is not as sharp. Not sure if the big dot system would rectify or not.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

XS are very good pd sights,but!,your normal sight picture changes,as does your grouping,they tend to have a vertical group,they acquire a target pic twice as fast as reg night sights,good luck with your choice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links