Advice on three .40 S&W options.

This is a discussion on Advice on three .40 S&W options. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Welcome to the forum from Prince William County... 95% of the time, I carry a Glock 23...it conceals well for me, fits my hand, and ...

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Advice on three .40 S&W options.

Welcome to the forum from Prince William County...

95% of the time, I carry a Glock 23...it conceals well for me, fits my hand, and is reliable...
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    If this is your first pistol, you really should be buying a 9mm, instead of a .40 S&W

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    I really don't understand that logic.
    I don't get it, either. Why do you say that Lance?
    Idahokid likes this.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

FNX-40

Please lQQk at the FNX-40,,it is a wonderful DA/SA
    Disinformation! We're the Blue ones, they are the Reds!

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    I really don't understand that logic.

Lower recoil that a beginner can more easily handle, and the ammo is less expensive, making it more affordable to shoot more, and thus gain some experience.

Actually, the very first handgun that a person should own and shoot would be a .22 LR That is what I first started out with as a teenager. It is the easiest to adapt to of them all, and it is super affordable to practice a lot with. With a .22 LR, you can pretty much focus on developing the basic skills of pistol shooting.

Hi from the "Low Country:, S.E., GA.
    I've been a Glock & 1911 guy for eons, but actually
    gave up Glocks for S&W, M&P's about 6 months ago &
    won't look back.. The M&P is an excellent piece, very dependable
    light as a Glock, and actually fits my hands like a glove; comfort in
    your hand & on your waist are paramount in my opinion.. Allot of thought
    needs to go into the decision to carry concealed, and the equipt. is only a
    small portion of it all... Be safe & good luck w/ your choices..!
    -E!-

"The Hill",
    'burbs of Sav'h., GA.

Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    Lower recoil that a beginner can more easily handle, and the ammo is less expensive, making it more affordable to shoot more, and thus gain some experience.

Actually, the very first handgun that a person should own and shoot would be a .22 LR That is what I first started out with as a teenager. It is the easiest to adapt to of them all, and it is super affordable to practice a lot with. With a .22 LR, you can pretty much focus on developing the basic skills of pistol shooting.
    Have to agree with Lance on this one. A .40 S&W is not really a good choice for a first handgun. If not a .22, my first pick would be a .38 (NOT a snubbie). Gain some basic handgun skills before you take on the added complexity of a semi-auto. If you must have a semi-auto, look at a 9mm. If you start out with a .40, you're going to be focusing too much on recoil management and the particular manual of arms of your pistol, and not on basic skills while you're learning handguns. FWIW

Regards,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    Have to agree with Lance on this one. A .40 S&W is not really a good choice for a first handgun. If not a .22, my first pick would be a .38 (NOT a snubbie). Gain some basic handgun skills before you take on the added complexity of a semi-auto. If you must have a semi-auto, look at a 9mm. If you start out with a .40, you're going to be focusing too much on recoil management and the particular manual of arms of your pistol, and not on basic skills while you're learning handguns. FWIW

Regards,
    Jim
    Ah Jeeez if you want a .40 get it! Unless your a girly whimpy man get the .40 and shoot the hell out of it. There aint that much difference in re-coil and the .40 makes bigger holes. Where I live .40 is not that much more money than 9mm for FMJ anyway. And yes I speak from experience as my first guns were a .357 mag and a Glock 23. I got some training and learning the automatic in .40 was no problem.

As far as your choices its a toss up between the Glock and the Sig. I dont like Kahr, but thats just my opinion. Get which ever one feels best to ya.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Quote Originally Posted by brad813 View Post
    I just got my Virginia Concealed Handgun Permit a couple months back and am needing advice on which firearm to choose. I have narrowed it down to three based on weight and size, along with trigger pull(not too light and not too heavy). I am looking at the Glock 23, Kahr TP40, and Sig Sauer P250 Compact. I have done my due diligence on reliability to narrow it down to these three options. I would like everyone's opinions on which to choose, and the reasons why you would choose that option over the others.

Brad
    I have a G19, which is the 9mm version of the 23, same size and what not. I also have the P250 in .40 but carry in .357 Sig. Just a barrel swap, and the mags are for both. I got the deal at buds, don't know if it's still going on. Honestly, after having this gun for a while, I would say the P250 in a heart beat. It just feels so good in my hand. Don't get me wrong, I love my Glock, and you can get pretty much everything for it, mags are cheaper, etc., but damn if I don't love the Sig. Although it is wider than the Glock in the slide area, it disappears with my Milt Sparks. The grip is thinner than the Glock grip. I just love this gun. Only thing I like better for the Glock, is the trigger. I love the staging, and the short reset. But the Sig trigger is good as well, longer but smooth w/o the short reset.

My advice, rent them and test them out. But honestly, the Sig is sweet, and more and more holsters are being made for it now.
    skysoldier29 likes this.

I believe that most recoil is 'perceived', and thus relative to each individual shooter. Their hand shape, and strength have as much to do with recoil,, as the weight to caliber ratio of any given pistol.

I began teaching my wife to shoot, using an XD subcompact 9mm, a 1911 .45 ACP, and a Glock 23. I use her, because she was completely new to shooting. She preferred to shoot the Glock, despite the 40's reputation as 'snappy'.

One of the reasons that she liked the Glock, is because it's lightweight. She didn't have to fight the weight of the pistol, in addition to recoil management. It is a real good balance of weight to recoil.

I would not, not recommend one caliber over another for a new shooter. Rather I would exhort to pick one that you like, and then get professional training and learn how to run it.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by wormy View Post
    Ah Jeeez if you want a .40 get it! Unless your a girly whimpy man get the .40 and shoot the hell out of it. There aint that much difference in re-coil and the .40 makes bigger holes. Where I live .40 is not that much more money than 9mm for FMJ anyway. And yes I speak from experience as my first guns were a .357 mag and a Glock 23. I got some training and learning the automatic in .40 was no problem...
    Wormy raises a good point -

If your reason for buying a gun is to try and prove that you're not a "girly whimpy man", then you probably shouldn't settle for a .40 - get a .50 S&W or something. You certainly would feel big & macho with a gun like that!

On the other hand, if you want to develop useful skills with a handgun, you'd be better advised to start with a more practical CCW and move up as you acquire the skills. A .40 is not a good beginner's gun, any more than a Corvette is a good beginner's car for a 16-year-old. You can base your choice on reason and experience, or on a fragile ego - your call.

Regards,
    Jim

I chose the xd40sc but have shot my buddy's G23 a lot and it is fine. The xd felt better in hand and I shot it better. I have a Glock 30, so I don't have any issue with them, they are fine handguns. It just depends on the features you want, what fits your hand, your eye, your intended carry method, and most importantly how well you can perform with it. You'll never know this about one handgun over another until you try them both. Then you'll know and not have to ask anyone else their opinion. The handguns you have listed are of good quality...the rest is personal preference.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Glock 23...cause it's a Glock!
    Proud NRA member

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    if you are so fixated on a 40 get one that you will at least be able to learn with and have for strong side forever.
    the SIG P-239 in 40. you can get a 357 bbl from EFKfiredragon. also a 9mm conversion.

the gun is the best balance of weight, power, size and capacity---accuracy too.

get a 1st generation...DA/SA de-cocker and no rail. mine still gets carried and does IDPA's.
    this is top shelf even if it is not your fit it warrents a test drive.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

My first gun was a 40. and I can tell you every gun shoots but they do not shoot the same once you get used to a 45 or 40 I'm sure you will be able to shoot the crap out of 9. Why buy a 9 if you want a 40 and if you decide to get a 40 later on you will have get used to a bigger recoil and buy another gun in a 40. Hey but its your choice try a 9 and 40, do you have a range by you that will let you test them out?

I am not a rank beginner, as I do understand recoil and what not(I have had marksmanship classes before), but no expert either. I had considered a 9mm but felt that for the price versus the .40 that it was better to step up. I have also heard that the recoil on the two is similar. As I do not have the money to buy a new gun every few months and have plenty of time on my hands(I have my culinary arts kitchen labs twice a week with most of my other classes online), being able to adapt to the recoil(plus I am one of these people who can withstand inordinate amounts of pain) will be a minor issue for me. I also know exactly what effects the recoil in the physics of it. To answer a few questions, the Glock fits my hand very well until I hit the subcompacts, then I have to switch to something with a better grip. I have held a Kahr CW40 which also had a good feel as well, but liked certain aspects of the TP40 better. As for the Sig, I know about reliability and found the specs on that particular one in line with what I wanted. I have already chosen a dealer that carries all three of these manufacturers. For the smarta** that used the car analogy, I know that you have to test them, but I also know that the experiences of others and research definitely helps. Basically, I came on here looking to find the pros and cons of each firearm. When it comes to concealed carry, brand means nothing.....it is a matter of knowing that the firearm will be reliable when it comes to saving your life. I am personally not too worried about rails as I do not see myself needing a tac light since I don't intend to use it for drug raids at night or anything(a little levity on my part here), since I am a civilian and hate the rail mounted lasers as they really make no sense in a life or death situation. I will say though, given that I have been in situations where someone has tried to kill me before(had to do with a crazy ex I was dating at the time and three guys she hired to try and kill me), that I know above most civilians(not counting leos and military of course) the importance of a reliable firearm that you can shoot comfortably. Another reason for the choice of the .40 is there is a higher percentage of one shot take downs in real world scenarios, which is why I assume it is the official caliber of the FBI. These kinds of statistics really do count in a concealed carry choice. While this will be my first carry gun, I do know my way around a firearm having trained previously simply for the fun and challenge of marksmanship. If I got a bit long winded, my apologies, but I hope this clears a few things up.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links