Advice on three .40 S&W options. - Page 3

Advice on three .40 S&W options.

This is a discussion on Advice on three .40 S&W options. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Venge My first gun was a 40. and I can tell you every gun shoots but they do not shoot the same ...

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Advice on three .40 S&W options.

Quote Originally Posted by Venge View Post
    My first gun was a 40. and I can tell you every gun shoots but they do not shoot the same once you get used to a 45 or 40 I'm sure you will be able to shoot the crap out of 9. Why buy a 9 if you want a 40 and if you decide to get a 40 later on you will have get used to a bigger recoil and buy another gun in a 40. Hey but its your choice try a 9 and 40, do you have a range by you that will let you test them out?
    No local ranges, so I am mostly going on the feel of the grip and what feels comfortable. It is a good start but not something you can substitute for hands on. I hope to at least bridge the gap some. The Glock 23 and Kahr firearms both have a good feel to me, so I based my final choices on similar sizes based on what I know is comfortable to grip size-wise.

Oh, am definitely looking in the compact range of firearms. I have slender hands for a guy but the subcompacts are too small and the full size are ok but aren't as comfortable as I would like.

Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    Lower recoil that a beginner can more easily handle, and the ammo is less expensive, making it more affordable to shoot more, and thus gain some experience.

Actually, the very first handgun that a person should own and shoot would be a .22 LR That is what I first started out with as a teenager. It is the easiest to adapt to of them all, and it is super affordable to practice a lot with. With a .22 LR, you can pretty much focus on developing the basic skills of pistol shooting.

Good, reliable ammo for 9mm and .40 is no more than a couple dollars difference if that. If I ever have to use it to stop someone, the .40 has a better record and more power. I would rather not risk being charged with a felony by using more than the double tap typically allowed by law, unless needed. It is, for me, a balance of needed force and legal(and fiscal) responsibility. The 9mm, while favored by the military(and NYPD), could possibly force you to use a third shot to disable and the more shots you take the more likely you are to run into legal trouble.

I also should add I won't touch a revolver. The cylinders have this nasty habit of wanting to pinch my hand, so I am a bit wary on that. I know all firearms have their own issues, but so does each shooter.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    Brad, Your last couple of posts made me want to comment. First of all don't base your decision on statistics and one shot stop percentages, numbers lie and shouldn't play any part of your decision. Shot placement means more than caliber/power.

The mentality that you discuss about the legalities of firing any more than a double tap have no real world merit. If you fire one shot or fifty it's either going to be justified or not; there is no legal number of shots that makes you right or wrong. That said you are responsible for every bullet you fire. I highly recommend you get some professional training before carrying a firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by brad813 View Post
    I also should add I won't touch a revolver. The cylinders have this nasty habit of wanting to pinch my hand, so I am a bit wary on that. I know all firearms have their own issues, but so does each shooter.
    brad813

I mean the below comments in a posistive constructive way and not as a flame.

There is no way a revolvers "cylinders" should pinch your hands.

You may want to get some professional training to give you the correct introduction into shooting and carrying a handgun for personal protection.

The below site may be a good place to start.

http://virginiapistol.com/

OS
    Inspector71 likes this.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

The P250 trigger is heavy and LLLLOOONNNGGGG. Sig got it wrong on this one, they are accurate but the trigger is horrible. The Kahr TP40 is a single stack and not really a popular gun, youwill have ahard time finding accessories.

The mid size Glocks are routinely considered some of the best allaround fighting handguns in the world. I think you would be very happy allaround with the G23. Lot sof ammo, lots of holsters and all kind of stuff. Go with it and you will only strta buying more Glocks. Great guns .

I will add though if you havent looked at them, you should look at the Sig Pro Lineup. The 2340 and 2022 are great shooters and can be found relatively cheap about anywhere you look. Summit Gunbroker has them for 365 with NS and two mags.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    Hey Brad, I would like to chime in, since I was in your shoes not too long ago.

I came here and did some research and really thought about what I wanted in my first Self Defense Handgun.
    I debated the calibers, and also decided on the .40 for the same reasons you have decided on it. It had the best power to capacity ratio. I like how it shoots, too.

That said, here are the features that I wanted in my self defense .40 cal:
    1) As large as I could carry comfortably. First, I looked at subcompacts, but decided I would want a little longer barrel to get on target easier, and I wanted a full grip for accuracy. I have a friend with a sub compact who only uses his extended magazine with a full grip (because the small grip is hard to hold). Since barrel length doesn't really compromise in IWB carry, I decided on either a compact or standard size gun with a normal sized grip. This also gives more ammo capacity.
    2) I wanted some safety features. Not to rely on, but anything to help prevent an accidental or negligent discharge.
    3) I wanted a polymer gun.
    4) I wanted the right grip angle. I tried out several guns, and the glock angle was not for me. You may think the opposite.
    5) I wanted tritium night sights (you know, the ones that glow in the dark). Lots of shootings happen at night, and these are a big bonus for a self defense gun.
    6) Reliability. I wanted a gun that has been put through the ringer and comes out on top. Several guns made this cut, and I initially narrowed my choices down based on this factor.
    7) I wanted a gun that I enjoyed to shoot / shoots well (for me).

In the end, I decided on the Springfield XD Service Model. I know it is not a gun on your initial list of choices, but it really had all of the features that I wanted in a self defense handgun. Multiple safety features (grip safety, trigger scissor safety, drop safety, striker indicator, chambered round indicator, ect). It covered all the bases that I listed, and I liked how it shot. I got the trijicon sights with it, installed, for about $70 extra. Anyways, I hope this helps you narrow your choices a little. The last piece of advice I can give is... Get a good holster and a decent belt and you will carry every day. With a good holster, you don't have to carry a tiny gun to be comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    Wormy raises a good point -

If your reason for buying a gun is to try and prove that you're not a "girly whimpy man", then you probably shouldn't settle for a .40 - get a .50 S&W or something. You certainly would feel big & macho with a gun like that!

On the other hand, if you want to develop useful skills with a handgun, you'd be better advised to start with a more practical CCW and move up as you acquire the skills. A .40 is not a good beginner's gun, any more than a Corvette is a good beginner's car for a 16-year-old. You can base your choice on reason and experience, or on a fragile ego - your call.

Regards,
    Jim
    Dude...were not putting a teenager in a 400hp corvette here and sending em out on the street. Its a grown man shooting a handgun. He can handle it. Get the .40 if thats what he wants and learn with it. The man asked about opinions for a Glock, Sig and Kahr and you guys are trying to talk him out of a .40.

Nobody has fragile egos or wants to feel "macho." And yes I base my opinion on reason and experience because I learned with a .40 and Ive shot a 9mm. Zacii got it right. Its really up to the individual shooter.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

I purchased my first handgun a couple of years ago and it was a .40. All this talk about your first gun should be a 9mm or .22lr yada yada. Pick the caliber you want and roll with it. However, I'm not an expert!!!

When I took my CHL course we had a girl that was scared to death of guns and didn't even have one to qualify with so I let her use my M&P .40 and she scored a 235 out of 250 with it. She never said a word about recoil etc... She didn't know the difference. Perhaps she could of scored better with a 9 or smaller I don't know. I have been training with this 40 for about a year now and I still love it. Learning double and tripple taps with it was never an issue! I had a Baretta 92 Centurion in 9mm and I hated shooting it and was not accurate at all with it. I loved the feel of it but man I hated shooting that gun. Mainly because of the long trigger pull. Decide what you want, more rounds and less thump or more thump and less rounds. You can't go wrong with 9, .40, or .45!

Back to your original request. Of the 3 guns mentioned, I would go with a Glock. I would never own a Kahr!!! My buddy has the G23 and if you like the feel of it you will keep it forever! I chose my M&P .40 and M&P .40c because of the way it feels in my hand and the 5-6 lbs triggers! Not a hiccup one in either of them! Plus S&W is American customer service is second to none.

Glock 23!,I wasn't aware there were any other guns made.
    Justified likes this.

Well, the reason for choosing the three options is due to size mainly. I do like the Springfields as well and certainly would consider them as well, and did check them out. The Sig SP2022 was one I eliminatedfor some reason. I am using statistics as one part of the process(numbers can lie yes, but are useful for getting a general idea), but also know comfort and training plays a large part. Those that assume I need more professional training are simply being fools......I know how to unlock a cylinder in a revolver but it pinches me due to the size of my hand. The only thing that bothers me about the Kahr is the low capacity mag, but I can work around that. I believe the other two are double stack options. I will post again later after I get back from my local dealer.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    In all honesty, I wish I had started with a .40 or .45 for that matter. It would have cut down on buying a bunch of pistols and revolvers and the learning curve that goes with them. I could have spent the learning curve time and cost of ammo on what I carry now. Allbeit, I do have a nice collection of guns now... I think, in retrospect, I should have bought a Ruger SR40 first, a Springfield 1911 A1 in .45 and/or a Springfield XD40 and a S&W 442 or 637. My wife's SP-101 in .357 was a demand item.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Ok, comfort test for the grip is complete(sorta anyway).

Glock 23: Ok but always feels a bit wide(though it could just be due to the shaping) in my hand.
    Kahr TP40: Store did not have in stock, but they do have the CW40 which I assume has a similar grip but the CW40 is a bit light feeling.
    Springfield XD Series: They did not have a .40 in stock but the .45 was a bit muzzle heavy, so I assume that would be the case with the .40 as well.
    Sig Sauer P250 Compact: Fit my hand very well, and the weight was comfortable. Racking the slide was a bit difficult but that is not a major concern since you only use that for cleaning, clearing, and loading. Overall an excellent fit for me gripwise.

I automatically eliminated the Springfield due to the fact there was too much weight at the muzzle for me. The Kahr would probably be a good weight for me but until I can test it I won't know. The main ones I will probably look at are the Glock and the Sig, though I will be going to a range once I move(or before if I have to go out there before) to the Norfolk/Virginia Beach area and do a live fire test to test trigger pull and recoil on each of the three remaining options.

Brad

Quote Originally Posted by brad813 View Post
    Ok, comfort test for the grip is complete(sorta anyway).

Glock 23: Ok but always feels a bit wide(though it could just be due to the shaping) in my hand.
    Kahr TP40: Store did not have in stock, but they do have the CW40 which I assume has a similar grip but the CW40 is a bit light feeling.
    Springfield XD Series: They did not have a .40 in stock but the .45 was a bit muzzle heavy, so I assume that would be the case with the .40 as well.
    Sig Sauer P250 Compact: Fit my hand very well, and the weight was comfortable. Racking the slide was a bit difficult but that is not a major concern since you only use that for cleaning, clearing, and loading. Overall an excellent fit for me gripwise.

I automatically eliminated the Springfield due to the fact there was too much weight at the muzzle for me. The Kahr would probably be a good weight for me but until I can test it I won't know. The main ones I will probably look at are the Glock and the Sig, though I will be going to a range once I move(or before if I have to go out there before) to the Norfolk/Virginia Beach area and do a live fire test to test trigger pull and recoil on each of the three remaining options.

Brad
    I suggest you at least try an M&P before you buy. Try different palm swells to figure out which one you like.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links