Advice on three .40 S&W options.

This is a discussion on Advice on three .40 S&W options. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by matthew03 Brad, Your last couple of posts made me want to comment. First of all don't base your decision on statistics and ...

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Advice on three .40 S&W options.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    Brad, Your last couple of posts made me want to comment. First of all don't base your decision on statistics and one shot stop percentages, numbers lie and shouldn't play any part of your decision. Shot placement means more than caliber/power.

The mentality that you discuss about the legalities of firing any more than a double tap have no real world merit. If you fire one shot or fifty it's either going to be justified or not; there is no legal number of shots that makes you right or wrong. That said you are responsible for every bullet you fire. I highly recommend you get some professional training before carrying a firearm.
    The real world merit comes down to essentially avoiding the use of excessive force. The vast majority of assailants would go down with no more than one or two shots, though a meth-head or unusually large individual may take more. The mentality I have is using minimal force needed, which is what is required legally to avoid criminal charges. I had thought that would have been clear by using the terminology I had. Also, I am not the type to panic to the point where I would just pull the trigger and shoot blindly. If I think there is any chance I would miss an assailant or it would overpenetrate(which is really only a major problem with the 10mm and a few higher caliber magnum revolver rounds(or the ammo used in a Desert Eagle, but let's face it those high caliber revolvers and Desert Eagles are too big to be a practical carry weapon)), I would not take the shot until I was sure it would hit the intended target. Better to put yourself in slightly more danger than risk innocent casualties. I also know 25 feet is the maximum range you need to be effective in for self defense. I take the responsibility involved in concealed carry and self defense usage of a firearm very seriously. You have to. I know many may disagree with me but the point to gun control laws is to keep them out of the wrong hands and honestly I do think they go too far with it sometimes. Politicians need to quit blaming the gun and start putting together crime control legislation that actually would keep firearms out of the hands of criminals and other individuals that should not have them(even though this is a bit off topic, but this is my thread anyway). I think with firearms, like with anything in life, using some common sense goes a long way.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I have a Sig 250 and Glock 23. They are both fantastic guns, but i do prefer the Sig.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Quote Originally Posted by 40strapped View Post
    I suggest you at least try an M&P before you buy. Try different palm swells to figure out which one you like.
    Smith and Wesson grips have an odd feel to me. I have considered them for years(I waited until I got my CHP to consider seriously though since open carry is just like saying that you are out to scare everyone.) but they never really just felt right. The Smith & Wesson name was the main reason I even considered one of their firearms. I have been giving this quite some thought before narrowing down to what seems most ideal for me. A live fire test with rental guns at a reputable range/shop should certainly help the final decision. Another influencing factor will be if Crimson Trace has a compatible product, since I may add a laser eventually, but do wish to train without one initially to familiarize myself with natural sighting, as well as operation, for the chosen sidearm. I am hoping that, by the time I am ready to purchase(or pay off a layaway), I will be able to go to the range at least once a week, if not twice a week. I do have a hectic schedule but am aware regular training is a must.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedomofchoice View Post
    I have a Sig 250 and Glock 23. They are both fantastic guns, but i do prefer the Sig.
    I am thinking I likely will as well, since it is a slightly better feel for me, but I also will likely own both at some point. It never hurts to have two primary firearms, in addition to backups, in case you do end up in a defensive shooting and the police have to take your weapon to run ballistics on it as well. For backups, I will likely look to good quality 9mm or .380ACP, though I am not opposed to learning to use revolvers for a backup, though my preference is obviously towards semi-automatics.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    i started to type how making a decision by reading how others feel/perceive a product (one they are compensated for to make the review...) goes to the fact that until you have experienced something else they have reviewed, you do not know if in fact they speak for you. and holding a gun tells you about as much as sitting in a car tells you how it will react at 75mph for an evasive manauver...which is almost nothing. about the same as the article tells you how it will feel in your hand when it is being fired. lock time is much different than getting back on target for the follow up (if necessary by your laws. ps, it 21 feet, but....) but....your posts are just soo cute.
    please continue. I'm laughing....err, learning soo much.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Quote Originally Posted by brad813 View Post
    Smith and Wesson grips have an odd feel to me. I have considered them for years(I waited until I got my CHP to consider seriously though since open carry is just like saying that you are out to scare everyone.) but they never really just felt right. The Smith & Wesson name was the main reason I even considered one of their firearms. I have been giving this quite some thought before narrowing down to what seems most ideal for me. A live fire test with rental guns at a reputable range/shop should certainly help the final decision. Another influencing factor will be if Crimson Trace has a compatible product, since I may add a laser eventually, but do wish to train without one initially to familiarize myself with natural sighting, as well as operation, for the chosen sidearm. I am hoping that, by the time I am ready to purchase(or pay off a layaway), I will be able to go to the range at least once a week, if not twice a week. I do have a hectic schedule but am aware regular training is a must.

Can't argue with that. Keep looking! I am confident that you will know and be certain when you find the one your looking for. Definitely need to shoot before you buy if at all possible! Again, you can't go wrong with Glock or Sig. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    i started to type how making a decision by reading how others feel/perceive a product (one they are compensated for to make the review...) goes to the fact that until you have experienced something else they have reviewed, you do not know if in fact they speak for you. and holding a gun tells you about as much as sitting in a car tells you how it will react at 75mph for an evasive manauver...which is almost nothing. about the same as the article tells you how it will feel in your hand when it is being fired. lock time is much different than getting back on target for the follow up (if necessary by your laws. ps, it 21 feet, but....) but....your posts are just soo cute.
    please continue. I'm laughing....err, learning soo much.
    I would not make fun if I were you(for one it is the sign of a weak mind). Doing research simply allows you to learn others experiences and any potential problems to look out for. You start with that and then make a choice based on personal experience. It is very similar to choosing a college(and I have, in the past, applied to Julliard at least twice, but did not audition due to funds.....however, I am well aware if I chose to in the future it would be a good fit for me and my acting career because it feels like home).........it is a very personal decision that you can use the experience of others to help you make an informed decision. Those who laugh at those who seek to learn from the experiences of others lack the wisdom to realize that, ultimately, it can save you from mistakes and problems of your own(or at least the same problems anyway). Food for thought.

For those who would be immature enough to post insults or poke fun at me, please do not. I have a decision making process I follow for everything(which excludes women due to the fact you can't hesitate), which is a very scientific approach gathering a combination of statistical data, personal experiences of others, and my own empirical experiences. I do not play games and as you do not as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 40strapped View Post
    Can't argue with that. Keep looking! I am confident that you will know and be certain when you find the one your looking for. Definitely need to shoot before you buy if at all possible! Again, you can't go wrong with Glock or Sig. Good luck!
    My basis for choosing the three finalists I have was the fact that they all have very similar physical dimensions, and I knew I like the feel of a Glock to begin with, so that gave me an excellent starting point. The fact that a .40 S&W has at least a 3% edge over a 9mm in practice added to help narrow it down. I considered 13+ different firearms chambered for .40 S&W and found aspects I didn't care for in all but these three. I did not consider magazine capacity a major detriment since magazines can be changed out within about 5 seconds and you likely won't need a full magazine unless your assailant has an automatic assault rifle and you are probably insane to attempt to fight against that in the first place(It is an extreme example but makes a clear point). I also knew a subcompact is too small for me but the full size was too large. Simple numbers information, along with reliability reports, like this helped me to get to the point where I could consider the three or four best options for me. Other's experiences combined with my own tests will help me make a final decision. The upside is if I make the wrong choice I can get at least a good portion of my money back as a trade.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    for one it is the sign of a weak mind and you know this cause.....rather than get sidetracked...

heck, even being rejected from Julliard ( though that is not clear...) is aiming high. I'll strum my les paul'72 sunburst and ponder on, hmmmmmm, lets see.... research and practice.
    two good topics for DC and strategy.
    laws for my state, go to local PD and ask for their latest printing on Firearms, Personal Ownership and Carry Regulations. though how it is called will vary by area...its a jumping off point.
    and it will help you to understand use of force, escalation, your rights, others rights. rather than guessing or culling info from various and dubious sources.
    for strategy i would google NRA and look for instructors in my state and also recommendations from people at a local club.
    i would find the clubs schedule for IDPA matches and attend hoping to meet members and observe shooters 'playing' the game.
    most like to talk to new comers and even share equipment...likly you will be received as you act....presentation is everything sometimes.

and if you are going to carry you will want to have the name of a guncentric lawyer in your wallet. good idea to buy a half hour of his time and get acquainted.

well, thats a start....im all thunk out and the dog needs a walk.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    for one it is the sign of a weak mind and you know this cause.....rather than get sidetracked...

heck, even being rejected from Julliard ( though that is not clear...) is aiming high. I'll strum my les paul'72 sunburst and ponder on, hmmmmmm, lets see.... research and practice.
    two good topics for DC and strategy.
    laws for my state, go to local PD and ask for their latest printing on Firearms, Personal Ownership and Carry Regulations. though how it is called will vary by area...its a jumping off point.
    and it will help you to understand use of force, escalation, your rights, others rights. rather than guessing or culling info from various and dubious sources.
    for strategy i would google NRA and look for instructors in my state and also recommendations from people at a local club.
    i would find the clubs schedule for IDPA matches and attend hoping to meet members and observe shooters 'playing' the game.
    most like to talk to new comers and even share equipment...likly you will be received as you act....presentation is everything sometimes.

and if you are going to carry you will want to have the name of a guncentric lawyer in your wallet. good idea to buy a half hour of his time and get acquainted.

well, thats a start....im all thunk out and the dog needs a walk.
    Not rejected....just couldn't audition. Long story but it was the comparison that was the point.

I have decided to look at other Kahr options. I know I will not go with the CW40 because it feels too light even though the dimensions are nice. The K40 could be nice, but I can't seem to find any trigger weight on it, which concerns me. If anyone knows, let me know.

"Those that assume I need more professional training are simply being fools...... (quote)

As I said I was not trying to flame you, I was only commenting on what your own words in your posts were saying about your own expierence and thoughts on the subjects you mentioned.

The best of luck in your search for your handgun.

OS
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

GLOCK all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Glock 23 Gen3-- Mepro Light Tru Glo night sights-Polished Internals-3.5 lb connector-6 lb trigger return spring Extended slide release lever-Stainless steel guide rod-Pierce grip plug
    Glock 26 gen3--
    Pierce +2 mag extension w/ finger groove

I am thinking I will skip the Kahr because there is something that feels off about the grip on them to me. To me, the grip on the Glock and the Sig were very similar with the Sig slightly edging out the Glock. From this point it looks like my best bet will be to feed a mag or two through at a range and see which I will shoot more comfortably with. Thanks for everyone's help on this. I know that the Sig P250 doesn't have the best reputation(not sure why though.......most complaints seem to involve a trigger pull), but that could be more due to Sig's reputation than the gun itself. Seems to me it would make a good entry level .40 S&W compact. There are more similarities than differences between the Glock and the Sig from what I can tell but it will be those differences that make or break each one in the decision making process. I think I have what I need.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Links