Advice on three .40 S&W options.

This is a discussion on Advice on three .40 S&W options. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I hope you get a chance to test the guns you think you might like before buying one. Given the choice between the Glock 19 ...

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Advice on three .40 S&W options.

I hope you get a chance to test the guns you think you might like before buying one. Given the choice between the Glock 19 and the Sig 250, I would go Glock all the way. I have shot the 9mm versions of both, and the Sig was a poor shooter for me. I could not hit hardly anything with the Sig, and the Glock was much more accurate for me.
    .357 mag, When you care enough to send the very best!

2. Remove Ads

I'm a 'converted' Glock fan, but we all have different tastes.
    Of your three choices, I would still settle on a Glock, but handle your three choices and decide which one is 'calling out your name'.
    Why Glock? Simplicity and proven reliability!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The logic is very simple. The 9mm is easier to learn to shoot well. It doesn't have the biting recoil of the 40. The ammunition is more available and at a cheaper price. More comfortable to shoot and less costly to shoot would go hand in hand with more practice. The more practice the better. As far as power the 9mm is more than adequate.

I am not going 9mm. The capacity is about the same and the .40 has a bit more power. Also, unlike a handgun chambered for 9mm, if I find I do not care for the .40 I can always try the .357 Sig and 9mm options most .40 options offer. Also, quality ammo for 9mm and .40 both run between $20-$30 on average. I would rather get used to a higher caliber and step down then the other way around. Everyone has their preferences though but all credible sources mention that 9mm and .40 S&W have a negligible difference. Like I said, I will test fire first. As for the Kahr, it is gone from the list.

Quote Originally Posted by brad813 View Post
    I am not going 9mm. The capacity is about the same and the .40 has a bit more power. Also, unlike a handgun chambered for 9mm, if I find I do not care for the .40 I can always try the .357 Sig and 9mm options most .40 options offer. Also, quality ammo for 9mm and .40 both run between $20-$30 on average. I would rather get used to a higher caliber and step down then the other way around. Everyone has their preferences though but all credible sources mention that 9mm and .40 S&W have a negligible difference. Like I said, I will test fire first. As for the Kahr, it is gone from the list.
    I think you've got it just exactly right, I like .40 to carry as well.. And for you guys that keep talkin' 9mm, we can all talk later about .40 to 9mm conversions to save $$ at the range for practice..!

So...
    -E!-

"The Hill",
    'burbs of Sav'h., GA.

VIP Member
    I would get an M&P .357 sig.{ammo is less expensive than .40}

Then buy the conv. barrel for the .40 if you so desire.

.357 sig is a better performing round OVERALL than the .40

JMHO

AmmoEngine: .40 S&W / .40 Smith & Wesson, Instock For Sale Premium & Discount Ammunition, Ammo Deals

AmmoEngine: .357 SIG, Instock For Sale Premium & Discount Ammunition, Ammo Deals
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    you are aware that when you change bbls, say from 40 to 357 sig or (gasp) 9mm that you will be changing poi/poa so you have to change one of the guns sights so that poa=poi again. but all the research, of course you knew that. just like you knew it takes 5 seconds to change a mag...unless you actually went to a IDPA or even watched a u-tube. than you would know that you were wrong....way wrong. a decent change by someone who has practiced just a little will be under 2 seconds. well practiced can be .75 sec. said another way; from slidelock split time may be under 1.5 sec.without retention. a change during action may be under ,5 sec.
    but as i am talking to someone who has a SYSTEM that works for him. what could i possibly tell him that is new to him?
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Just go with whatever caliber you like to shoot, forget about all the caliber war people on here. Like I said before, I carry the P250 in .357 Sig, and love it. When I go to the range, I shoot .40 more, maybe a box of .357, and carry the .357. It is less than .40, but slightly more recoil than 9mm. To me, it is THE self defense round. If it was cheaper and more available, more people would carry it. The Secret Service uses that caliber to protect the POTUS, and the Federal Air Marshals also use it (in the Sig P250 actually), and I don't think anyone would argue how good of shooters they are. That is the beauty of getting a .40..if you don't like it, just get a .357 Sig barrel and you're not that off from 9mm.

Check this out, this is what I got, and it is nice..you get 3 mags, and the barrel for the price of a normal Glock or Sig. Mags all say .357-.40 on them...and stock night sights. $419 shipped, can't beat it.

SIG SAUER P250 COMPACT .40 W/NS, 3-MAGS, Used .357 SIG BARREL! SHIPS FREE

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    I would get an M&P .357 sig.{ammo is less expensive than .40}
    .357 is less expensive than .40? Where?

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    40S&W cost for lead 180gr TC is 12 cents; 180gr Hornedy TCHP is 35 cents vs factory Gold Dots~$1.35 each
    357 plated RN 125gr is 18 cents. Hornedy 125gr HP 35 cents vs factory at ~$1.25 each.

rolling your own has other advantages besides being able to practice with what you carry inexpensively.
    but not relevant here.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    "Those that assume I need more professional training are simply being fools...... (quote)

As I said I was not trying to flame you, I was only commenting on what your own words in your posts were saying about your own expierence and thoughts on the subjects you mentioned.

The best of luck in your search for your handgun.

OS
    +1 Brad, you are throwing out a lot of "researched facts" that are WAY WRONG. You may want to re-evaluate your method's and go forward only after you talk to reputable sources. A 5 second mag change? Wow that's smoking fast.

If you are going to conceal carry it, take a long look at the Kahr but look at the K40 or a different SIG, the P239 in 40
    I have a Kahr K9 and its awesome.

After seeing what damage and penetration a 9mm makes from Corbon DPX, I switched to 9mm FROM 40.
    (The results were equal to most 40 cal loads)

If its not for carry, the SIG P226, in my mind is one of the best pistols going
    An imperfect servant of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ

Buying American made, keeping Americans working
    ....Whenever I still can

What non-shooter are YOU planning on taking to the range?

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    I just got my Virginia Concealed Handgun Permit a couple months back and am needing advice on which firearm to choose. I have narrowed it down to three based on weight and size, along with trigger pull(not too light and not too heavy). I am looking at the Glock 23, Kahr TP40, and Sig Sauer P250 Compact. I have done my due diligence on reliability to narrow it down to these three options. I would like everyone's opinions on which to choose, and the reasons why you would choose that option over the others.

Brad
    Of those three I would choose the Glock, but I would also suggest you consider the SW MP.

Jim

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vista461 View Post
    I only have experience with the Glock. Make sure the finger grooves fit your hand if choosing a 3rd or 4th gen. They are perfect for my hand on a G22 but too close on a G23.

I'm a M&P and 3rd gen Smith guy now, had Glocks since the mid 90's until earlier this year though.
    I hear you, I am the same way with M&P.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Good, reliable ammo for 9mm and .40 is no more than a couple dollars difference if that. If I ever have to use it to stop someone, the .40 has a better record and more power. I would rather not risk being charged with a felony by using more than the double tap typically allowed by law, unless needed. It is, for me, a balance of needed force and legal(and fiscal) responsibility. The 9mm, while favored by the military(and NYPD), could possibly force you to use a third shot to disable and the more shots you take the more likely you are to run into legal trouble.
    Brad...I fear you are being fed bad info. There is no "double tap" law...you use the amount of force needed to stop the threat. Use the firearm and caliber you can shoot comfortably and accurately...shot placement is key. I might also recommend additional training beyond what is required by VA, and learn how to employ your firearm.

I will add that I usually carry a SIG P229/.40.... I would encourage you to consider the P239 before the P250...the 250 is still going through it teething phase as I've read on other forums. For a first time firearm owner, I would go with something proven reliable, instead of having problems and trying to figure out if it's the gun or the shooter that has the problem. Kahr and Glock also have good products...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Links