Advice on three .40 S&W options.

This is a discussion on Advice on three .40 S&W options. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry a G23. Magazines available everywhere, accessory options abound, easy to work on yourself, holsters everywhere too....

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Advice on three .40 S&W options.

I carry a G23. Magazines available everywhere, accessory options abound, easy to work on yourself, holsters everywhere too.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

2. Remove Ads

Although I don't own one (yet), I have to jump in and give a thumbs up for the glock. Many of my shooting buddies own the 23 and/or the 27, and I have fired them many times. To say I love those guns is an understatement. I was very pleasantly surprised by the accuracy of the 27, since it is such a small weapon - I have big ham hands...

I've also fired a few sigs. I wasn't impressed with the feel or accuracy. I'm sure that has to do with the fit in my hand, and isn't a reflection on the quality of the gun. No experience with the S&W. Like someone else said earlier in this thread - test fire them. Personally, I would test fire them over the course of many trips to the range.

Don't let the haters get to you. This is your decision - you have to live with it. If someone else doesn't like how you go about making the decision, that would be their problem. That being said, after reading this entire thread, I think there is a lot of good information here that you can use as a starting point. I know that you are way past the starting point, but the opinions of others are a good place to start.

I really don't have a lot to offer you, other than the fact that I like the glocks. I personally carry a revolver. Had a bad experience with an auto jamming on me during a competition, and didn't have a back-up with me. Got me to thinking...

Good luck on your decision.
    "How much self-defense is too much?"

A prudent one foresees the evil and hides himself, but the simple pass on and are punished. - Proverbs 22:3

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brad813 View Post
    Does a semester long marksmanship course count?
    Nope, by your comments on the subject that class had little to do with real world gunfighting or use of a firearm to protect oneself. My advice to you would be to seek professional training in SD before carrying a firearm. The VA CCW course is very basic and covers nothing but the required information to allow you to carry a concealed handgun legally. That doesn't mean you are prepared to do so.

As others have stated on this thread you have some ideas about ballistics that are simply not at all accurate. It is unrealistic to think that an adversary bent on doing you harm will stop after being shot once or twice. There are a huge number of accounts where assailants have continued to advance and even kill the GG's after being shot multiple times. Your logic and apparently your method of arriving at your conclusions is corrupt. My advice to you would be to preach a little less and listen to those who are trying to give you factual information. It isn't shameful to not know something, but to close your mind to reality and constantly rail against those who actually do have factual information show's immaturity. There is a wealth of information out there, but unfortunately there is much opinion not based on fact.
    SIGguy229 likes this.

I know this is not in your group but you might want to wait a little and look at the new Ruger SR40c!
    If you want to check it's size check out the SR9c they will be the same size (the 40's slide will be a little wider, not much).
    The SR40 (full size is a soft shooting .40! Ruger has their act together now on the new guns, no problems with the SR40 or SR1911 or LC9.
    I have the 9c and it is very carry-able and accurate.

Just a thought.
    Good Luck!

Lateck,
    Proud Ruger & SIG owner, in the Free State of Arizona

Just because its worth repeating...
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    Nope, by your comments on the subject that class had little to do with real world gunfighting or use of a firearm to protect oneself. My advice to you would be to seek professional training in SD before carrying a firearm. The VA CCW course is very basic and covers nothing but the required information to allow you to carry a concealed handgun legally. That doesn't mean you are prepared to do so.

As others have stated on this thread you have some ideas about ballistics that are simply not at all accurate. It is unrealistic to think that an adversary bent on doing you harm will stop after being shot once or twice. There are a huge number of accounts where assailants have continued to advance and even kill the GG's after being shot multiple times. Your logic and apparently your method of arriving at your conclusions is corrupt. My advice to you would be to preach a little less and listen to those who are trying to give you factual information. It isn't shameful to not know something, but to close your mind to reality and constantly rail against those who actually do have factual information show's immaturity. There is a wealth of information out there, but unfortunately there is much opinion not based on fact.
    There are folks here who have been there, done that...and will answer your questions if asked. But if you've come here to validate your choices, and you are not receiving the reception you're expecting...then there might be a flaw in your analysis...for someone who hasn't shot the guns he plans on buying. As mentioned in previous posts, read more, post less, evaluate what you are reading and who is providing the information.

Welcome!
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

My first handgun was a gen2 glock 17.

I've had several since then.

My current carry guns are a Kahr PM9, Ruger .38 LCR, Ruger SP101 .357mag and..........

a Glock 23.

Senior Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    of those 3 GLOCK for sure......I am also liking the Ruger SR series...better trigger,made in USA and 100.00 cheaper

Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN
    If this is your first pistol, you really should be buying a 9mm, instead of a .40 S&W
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy
    I really don't understand that logic.

I agree. There is nothing wrong with a 40 S&W as a first gun. If the OP's hand fits the gun, then there would be no problem controlling it. To me, the 40 shoots the same as a 9mm....all day long.
    The whole "snappy" thing or killer recoil and all the other garbage is well, garbage.

Get the 40!

And yes, the Glock is the way to go.
    The man's nuts....grab 'em!
    A pistol free zone is a crime spree zone!
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    I will add that I usually carry a SIG P229/.40.... I would encourage you to consider the P239 before the P250...the 250 is still going through it teething phase as I've read on other forums. For a first time firearm owner, I would go with something proven reliable, instead of having problems and trying to figure out if it's the gun or the shooter that has the problem. Kahr and Glock also have good products...
    No it's not. The 1st Generation had issues, the new ones don't. Reliability is in the eye of the beholder anyway. Honestly, after about 500 rounds through my P250, I haven't had a single hiccup. I had 2 failures in that amount of rounds with my G19. So for me, the P250 is more reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by Texag View Post
    If that doesn't tell you what you need to know, the Federal Air Marshals recently purchased a large amount of 250s to replace their 229s. They never issued the 250s because they wouldn't run right, and have now ditched them and returned to 229s.
    Nope. They were going to ditch them because Sig announced that they had a contract with them. The FAMS got upset, and did not want people to know what gun they carried. They did have issues with the 1st gen P250, but they have long since fixed the issues.

Said it in another thread, saying it again here..

I am loving this gun! (P250) I have put around 5000 rounds in my Glock, was trained professionally with it, and after 2 times at the range with my P250 in .357 Sig, I am much more accurate with it than my Glock. It is amazing. Once you master that trigger pull, it is accurate as hell.

I don't know if any of you have seen the Front Sight targets..there a 4 little 1"x1" squares on the sides of the head area, I can shoot 6 shots, at 7 yards and all 6 shots are touching that square. This gun is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by G19inLV View Post
    No it's not. The 1st Generation had issues, the new ones don't. Reliability is in the eye of the beholder anyway. Honestly, after about 500 rounds through my P250, I haven't had a single hiccup. I had 2 failures in that amount of rounds with my G19. So for me, the P250 is more reliable.
    I'll agree...for the sample size of ONE, the P250 is reliable for 500 rds.....let's see how it works after a couple of thousands of rounds...and over time with a larger sample size...

The P239 has a proven record over time (as well as Kahr, Glock, HK)...for a new shooter, I would want to eliminate as many variables as possible, but that's just me.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    I'll agree...for the sample size of ONE, the P250 is reliable for 500 rds.....let's see how it works after a couple of thousands of rounds...and over time with a larger sample size...

The P239 has a proven record over time (as well as Kahr, Glock, HK)...for a new shooter, I would want to eliminate as many variables as possible, but that's just me.
    Well, everything has to go through it's paces. But since the new design of the P250 was introduced in 2009 (after the initial issues with the 1st gen introduced in 2007), the gun has been spot on. It has gotten rave reviews, and people who have shot the thousands of rounds have you suggested, still like the gun. In my research prior to purchasing, and had trouble finding a bad review of the redesigned model, and most of the negative reviews concerned the trigger pull...which I admit takes some getting used to.

But after 4000-5000 rounds with my G19, I still got hiccups, so again, any gun can have a bad day. Sig itself has a proven record, no reason why the P250 should be any different. But you do mention Glocks and Kahrs..how many people had issues withe Gen 4 Glocks? How many kabooms has the 23 had? How many people complain about the reliability of Kahrs? I have seen more issues with these than with the P250.

Quote Originally Posted by G19inLV View Post
    Nope. They were going to ditch them because Sig announced that they had a contract with them. The FAMS got upset, and did not want people to know what gun they carried. They did have issues with the 1st gen P250, but they have long since fixed the issues.
    Hmm, trust you, or Todd Green who has worked in the firearms and training industry for over a decade?

Yup, gonna go with the guy who has worked at sig and has contacts all over the shooting community.
    I collect ammo, not guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Texag View Post
    Hmm, trust you, or Todd Green who has worked in the firearms and training industry for over a decade?

Yup, gonna go with the guy who has worked at sig and has contacts all over the shooting community.
    That's fine, go with whoever you want to.

Forget the fact that the FAMS got pissed the first time around when Sig slipped up and told the world what the FAMS carry when they switched the P250 in the first place. I guess Todd Green, whoever that is, didn't get it the first time, and opened his big mouth again. The fact that you mentioned somebody that "worked at Sig" as your source, tells me how much credibility that is worth. I don't think Sig would make the same mistake twice. Good try though.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Links