Advice on three .40 S&W options.

This is a discussion on Advice on three .40 S&W options. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How about this for facts..? Massad Ayoob, Guns Magazine, 1/11, pg 43 GUNS Magazine January 2011...

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Advice on three .40 S&W options.

How about this for facts..?

Massad Ayoob, Guns Magazine, 1/11, pg 43

GUNS Magazine January 2011

2. Remove Ads

I ran into an Air Marshal the other day (don't ask), and he was not carrying the P250. I asked him what happened to it, he said some still have it, but those who wanted to could change back.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G19inLV View Post
    I ran into an Air Marshal the other day (don't ask), and he was not carrying the P250. I asked him what happened to it, he said some still have it, but those who wanted to could change back.
    What did they revert back to, P229s?

Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    What did they revert back to, P229s?
    Yes.

...and just like that, 1 post negates a page of back and forth.
    I collect ammo, not guns.

Quote Originally Posted by gunfixer View Post
    Hi from the "Low Country:, S.E., GA.
    I've been a Glock & 1911 guy for eons, but actually
    gave up Glocks for S&W, M&P's about 6 months ago &
    won't look back.. The M&P is an excellent piece, very dependable
    light as a Glock, and actually fits my hands like a glove; comfort in
    your hand & on your waist are paramount in my opinion.. Allot of thought
    needs to go into the decision to carry concealed, and the equipt. is only a
    small portion of it all... Be safe & good luck w/ your choices..!
    I will be purchasing a MP Pro9 shortly instead of a G17. I figure to start out with the 9mm because of the ammo cost then get a 40 or 45 in the future.
    Can you give me any ammo tips for the S&WMPPro9?
    Thanks,
    WalterM

I have a glock 23, for ccw purposes I use a cheap uncle Mikes iwb holster it was fun to carry till I got a SA xd-40 sub-compact, then went to a Taurus millennium pro 745, cuz it was cheap, and is reliable plus I don't care if it gets beat up.
    And so when man and horse go down beneath a saber keen, or in a roaring charge of fierce melee you stop a bullet clean, and the hostiles come to get your scalp, just empty your canteen, put your pistol to your head and go to Fiddlers green. U.S Army Cavalry

Quote Originally Posted by WalterM View Post
    I will be purchasing a MP Pro9 shortly instead of a G17. I figure to start out with the 9mm because of the ammo cost then get a 40 or 45 in the future.
    Thanks,
    WalterM
    I would carry 147gr JHP'S for self defense. Heavier bullets have better penetration. Choose your manufacturer as any of the heavy loads will do just fine. I carry Winchester White Box 147 gr JHP's in a couple of my pistols, but usually carry Hornady 147 gr in my regular carry pistols.

Welcome to the forum from....Orlando.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by WalterM View Post
    Thanks,
    WalterM
    Hi Walter,
    I always used Winchester "Winclean" 147gr. TFPMJ bullets in my M&P9 Pro, but it did run on anything..!
    (I guess I made a liar out of myself though.. I sold off my M&P's as well, and now am carrying my 'ole
    faithful all steel, Kahr K-40, DLC Black and for competition am shooting solely the 1911/ 2011 platforms, both in .40sw..)

Good luck w/ it and enjoy, but.. BE SAFE doing it..!!

-E!-
    -E!-

"The Hill",
    'burbs of Sav'h., GA.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    Have to agree with Lance on this one. A .40 S&W is not really a good choice for a first handgun. If not a .22, my first pick would be a .38 (NOT a snubbie). Gain some basic handgun skills before you take on the added complexity of a semi-auto. If you must have a semi-auto, look at a 9mm. If you start out with a .40, you're going to be focusing too much on recoil management and the particular manual of arms of your pistol, and not on basic skills while you're learning handguns. FWIW

Regards,
    Jim
    I completely disagree with this logic. That doesn't mean it is gospel my way or their way, just my opinion. My first handgun was an xd40. Learned how to use it well, and now a 9 seems even easier. There is, again OMO, no correct way to purchase guns other than getting a good price and as many as you can! Merry Christmas!!!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

i would go with a glock 23. they are extreamely reliable i carried a glock 36 for about a year and switch to my ruger sr40c about 6 moths ago. i liked the way the ruger felt better and wanted the extra capacity.
    "A PERSON WHO LEGALLY CARRIES A CONCEALED FIREARM IS THE BEST ASSET FOR ANY COMMUNITY, THEY DETER CRIMES BEFORE THEY EVER HAPPEN."

"I CHOOSE TO CARRY TO PROTECT THE PEOPLE I LOVE FROM THE MONSTERS IN THE WORLD. WHEN I AM NOT AROUND THEM I CHOOSE TO CARRY SO THAT I MAY RETURN TO THEM."

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Welcome to the DC Forum from Delaware! Since I chose the SA XD40 SC, I can't help you with your decision.
    I agree on the SA XD. I looked at alot of guns when i bought mine glock, smith m&p, sig saurer and others but the springfeild xd was by far the best IMO. Love the feel of the gun the looks the options that come with it for the price and its a tack driver for sure! My vote go with SA XD40 OR 45 compact or sub compact for ccw and regular or tactical for duty carry! oh and love the ambidexterous mag release esp if your left handed or right hand is wounded!!

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Links