Advice on three .40 S&W options.

This is a discussion on Advice on three .40 S&W options. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just got my Virginia Concealed Handgun Permit a couple months back and am needing advice on which firearm to choose. I have narrowed it ...

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Advice on three .40 S&W options.

I just got my Virginia Concealed Handgun Permit a couple months back and am needing advice on which firearm to choose. I have narrowed it down to three based on weight and size, along with trigger pull(not too light and not too heavy). I am looking at the Glock 23, Kahr TP40, and Sig Sauer P250 Compact. I have done my due diligence on reliability to narrow it down to these three options. I would like everyone's opinions on which to choose, and the reasons why you would choose that option over the others.

Brad

Welcome to the DC Forum from Delaware! Since I chose the SA XD40 SC, I can't help you with your decision.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I only have experience with the Glock. Make sure the finger grooves fit your hand if choosing a 3rd or 4th gen. They are perfect for my hand on a G22 but too close on a G23.

I'm a M&P and 3rd gen Smith guy now, had Glocks since the mid 90's until earlier this year though.
    C hawk Glock likes this.

I have a G23. I like it over the others because it has a higher capacity, no break-in period and better resale.

Magazines and holsters are abundant, also.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I am a glock fan, I carry one everyday.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    If I were in your shoes, I would go with the G23. That is assuming it fits your hand well. Another option (and one not in your list but let me suggest it) is the Springfield XD40 Service. It comes with 2-12-round magazines.

Quote Originally Posted by Diddle View Post
    If I were in your shoes, I would go with the G23. That is assuming it fits your hand well. Another option (and one not in your list but let me suggest it) is the Springfield XD40 Service. It comes with 2-12-round magazines.
    My vote if it was on your list is the XD40 Service as well. I've had one since 2004 and it's been outstanding. Never a single issue and Springfield is great to work with if something does come up.

i have a sig p250 compact 9mm with night sights that i paid $360 for new. Budsgunshop.com has the .40 compact for $419.00 and that includes 3 magazines and a additional barrel in .357 sig. I love my p250, haven't had a hiccup in 700 rounds and it is the most mechanically simple semi auto handgun i know of. at the price they're selling for, i think they're a steal. it is a pretty chunky gun though, i'm sure it's larger and heavier than the glock.

i've owned kahr's before and love them too.

honestly, i don't see how you can go wrong with any of them. it really boils down to which one fits your hand the best.
    Justified likes this.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    i just got my driver license and I've narrowed it.....

its you gonna be 'driving the machine'

it best be you that does the test drive. fit it to your hand size, and grip strength, are the sights ( dot-the i or fill the center or.... to your liking
    which holster for daytime, casual or formal dress? multiple guns cause you go different places and have different base requirements than i do.
    and on, and on.

friends at a range
    a gun store with rentals
    go to IDPA, Pins and Plates shoots and see what others are using--
    most of us like to share equipment and talk about 'why'.
    find a instructor local to you that works 1 on 1 to fit you . I may bring 1 gun with 3 different grips and 6 different holsters to find what fits and works for you.
    and another score of handguns to try on for size, than when you go shopping, you have a knowledge of what works for you. many buy, try and exchange--
    that gets expensive, and frustrating--cause you may well have had the right gun but not the proper for you grip on it. how would you know?

for instance the glock 23 is a very small and not fun (for many) to shoot gun. so one may not practice as much cause it hurts.
    the Kahr may 'fit' better after 50 rounds and the
    Sig is versatile in change the frame size.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

My vote goes for the glock all the way. Simplicity, reliability, aftermarket parts and accessories galore.... can't go wrong.
    Justified likes this.

When I choose a gun and I use gun shows to check out different weapons,theres a good chance that one of the dealers has something your thinking of buying,I pick it up to see how it feels,does it fit my hand and does it feel balanced,does it point naturally etc.once I find one that I really like,I check price.If possible my next option is try to find a range that rents one if possible,or then ask on forums what people think about the gun you are thinking of buying
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum. As to helping you decide, I'm not going to be able to. When I carried a .40 I carried a CZ 75 P-06.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

twc
    Well the Kahr will be the easiest to conceal due to size. The Kahr and the Sig are both double action only so keep that in mind. Also if you are looking to attach a light or laser the sig and glock come with rails for it. YOu might want to look at the S&W SD40 also. Out of curiosity why are you set on the 40 caliber?

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brad813 View Post
    I just got my Virginia Concealed Handgun Permit a couple months back and am needing advice on which firearm to choose. I have narrowed it down to three based on weight and size, along with trigger pull(not too light and not too heavy). I am looking at the Glock 23, Kahr TP40, and Sig Sauer P250 Compact. I have done my due diligence on reliability to narrow it down to these three options. I would like everyone's opinions on which to choose, and the reasons why you would choose that option over the others.

If this is your first pistol, you really should be buying a 9mm, instead of a .40 S&W

Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    If this is your first pistol, you really should be buying a 9mm, instead of a .40 S&W

I really don't understand that logic.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Links