DB9 Range Report

DB9 Range Report

This is a discussion on DB9 Range Report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; DB9 Range Report Last week, one of the guys at my local range let me borrow/rent his new DB9 and fire some rounds through it. ...

Thread: DB9 Range Report

DB9 Range Report

DB9 Range Report

Last week, one of the guys at my local range let me borrow/rent his new DB9 and fire some rounds through it.

First impressions were that it is extremely small for a 9mm and would be incredibly easy to conceal anywhere, especially a pocket. It felt a little odd in my hand, I wasn’t a huge fan of the grip feel. I do have smaller hands. It doesn’t lock back on the last round and is very bare bones not having any safeties or other things to manipulate but the slide. All things that can be a plus in a defensive pistol.

It is a snappy little bugger. I’m accustomed to my LCP and its snap, and my LC9 though snappy is much more manageable than the LCP or DB9. The DB9 doesn’t hurt to shoot but it is not comfortable and it was a little harder to get back on target for multiple shots. Obviously it’s not meant as a range gun, but 50 to 100 rounds is about the max I would want to put through a DB9 per range session.

Out of the 50 rounds I put through it, I had one double feed at round 37. The owner had already fired 450 rounds through it without any malfunctions. The following 13 shots fed just fine for me. Accuracy was decent for such a small pistol, but I am much more accurate with my LC9 which is basically in the same pocket 9 class.

I think this gun has potential as a great EDC pistol. But, from many other reviews I have read online it sounds like the DB9 still has some bugs to work out like its little brother the DB380. I would consider purchasing one but not for quite some time, at least 6 months to a year. On the Diamond Back forum, even the company’s sales rep admits they are having some issues with the DB9 that need to be resolved. I also wonder about the pistol in the long run. Will it stand up to the abuse of 9mm in such a small package or will it beat itself to death? Personally the trade off in the larger size of the LC9 makes up for itself with greater accuracy and possibly greater durability, but time will tell. But the LC9 also has many superfluous safety features that turn many off.

This review is not meant to recommend the LC9 over the DB9, its just the only pocket 9 I have in my stable to compare to the DB9.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Thanks for the report. Yeah, I was really keen on this gun until I found the forumn and read about the multitudes of problems. Same as you, when they fix it, I will buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibber View Post
    Thanks for the report. Yeah, I was really keen on this gun until I found the forumn and read about the multitudes of problems. Same as you, when they fix it, I will buy it.
    Yup, a very promising gun, but not until they've worked out the bugs. I took the risk when I bought the LC9 but have been very pleased with it.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

eb
    I looked at one of these last night and the store clerk pretty much said "I like you man, so I can't let you buy that thing" due to all the issues they've seen. :)

Quote Originally Posted by eb View Post
    I looked at one of these last night and the store clerk pretty much said "I like you man, so I can't let you buy that thing" due to all the issues they've seen. :)
    It's not always what you know, sometimes it's who you know.

As with any manufactured product, it would be wise to wait until after the first year. That first year for any platform is critical these days as most companies let us do all of their beta testing for them.

Ah, the good ol' days when a product was launched, it worked as advertised, and that was it.

Now it is a race to see what launches first, the product itself, or the first recall/service bulletin.
    If you have never broken your gun or bled on your gun in training, you're doing it wrong!
    Train hard, live easy.

eb
    Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    It's not always what you know, sometimes it's who you know.
    He said they've had numerous issues with the 380 version, and now a few already with the 9mm. I've bought 1/2 dozen guns from that place made by various manufacturers, and they never once have had any bias whatsoever. Furthermore, they work on hourly wage, not commission. But hey man, anythings possible I guess. /shrug

Like trying to cram a v-8 engine in a Hyundai Excel while still maintaining a rear seat, competing in the Indy 500, and doing it on a Yugo budget...just not going to happen...Kahr has made the best run of anyone with the size of their poly guns (not all metal), but they still start having problems with durability after several thousand rounds...

Quote Originally Posted by SGFvr View Post
    Like trying to cram a v-8 engine in a Hyundai Excel while still maintaining a rear seat, competing in the Indy 500, and doing it on a Yugo budget...just not going to happen...Kahr has made the best run of anyone with the size of their poly guns (not all metal), but they still start having problems with durability after several thousand rounds...
    Too true

Sponsored Links