Smith and wesson Bodyguard 38

This is a discussion on Smith and wesson Bodyguard 38 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just picked up a S/W BG38 revolver with Insight laser. I have had several requests for BG 38 holsters but Ring's does not make ...

Thread: Smith and wesson Bodyguard 38

Smith and wesson Bodyguard 38

I just picked up a S/W BG38 revolver with Insight laser. I have had several requests for BG 38 holsters but Ring's does not make a blue gun for this one yet. I really like this little thing. I have an LCR and will carry the LCR but hey, you can't have too many guns. I think my better half is going to carry this. The competition will be her K frame that her dad gave her.
    I believe it will be easier for her than me to train and use the laser and cylinder release. Something about old dogs and new tricks.
    Dry firing, my better half likes the BG trigger. I like the LCR. I do believe the BG trigger will smooth up like butter after a hundred or so rounds. The BG also seems to fit her hand better than the K frame.
    I will probably sight in the laser this evening and then we will both shoot the BG tomorrow.
    I'll keep you posted on our first impressions after firing it.
    Attached Images
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

I played around with one of those in the local gun store. I thought it felt ok, but felt that in a defensive scenario there would be no way I could get that laser turned on. Maybe the display model was overused but it felt like I had to push the button multiple times. Or maybe I'm just used to the Crimson Trace grips I have on my SP101. I'm glad you like it, and you are right, you can never have too many guns!

well not sure as for the revolver but I have the auto and love it as you can see on my profile picture. I have shot about 120 rounds throw mine so fae no problem yet.

Laser is dialed in

Well I shot a few rounds of 158g swc and 125g SJHP. Took a few minutes to get the hang of the laser/trigger. I like the laser. But the iron sights are shooting high. Groups are 4 inches high at 7 and 10 yards. Anyone have any ideas?
    Thanks,
    Jeff
    Attached Images
    NRA Life Member

When the laser is centered on the target, where do the sights align? Is it a pinned front sight? If it is, maybe S&W has a different height they can send you.

eb
    I just rented one of these at the range this evening, then went back out and grabbed their LCR for comparison back-to-back (both .38). I found the Smith to be much raunchier to shoot, it kept beating up my fingers/hand in various ways. I wish they had just put a fatter grip on that thing, because I wanted to like it. Neither one is what I'd call a range gun, however I liked the Ruger far better for me. It was just more comfortable to shoot IMO.

After I was finished shooting, I went upstairs to their store area and bought a new LCR (standard sights in .38). I'll take my own back out next week when I go shooting again...

The trigger on mine smoothed out nicely after a few boxes, I'd say it probably has over a thousand rounds through it now and it is silly how accurate it is once I got used to it. 10" patterns out past 35ft, made my brother laugh out loud at the range that a snubby could even do that. Practicing with +p is a bit brutal with it, after a few boxes even my hands get sore, but I typically just practice with .38 spl for the cost and comfort.

I can't fathom ever turning the laser on in a real self defense scenario, but it's a nice option to have. I don't practice much with the laser, I find the sights to be far easier and more accurate overall.

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    They can be picked up pretty cheap shoot me a PM and I can give you details. They are an awesome gun.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Quote Originally Posted by Dragman View Post
    They can be picked up pretty cheap shoot me a PM and I can give you details. They are an awesome gun.
    Dragman - I have the gun. I am now thinking of installing a taller front sight. I called S/W this am. Asked if they had different sights or knew of aftermarket sights. S/W advised me to return the gun to them.
    My question is - should I return the gun or continue in my quest for a taller aftermarket sight? I have an inquiry into HiViz about the 3003 sight. It is .310 inches tall compared to my original front sight of about .25 inches tall.
    Thanks guys,
    Jeff
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Haystacker View Post
    Dragman - I have the gun. I am now thinking of installing a taller front sight. I called S/W this am. Asked if they had different sights or knew of aftermarket sights. S/W advised me to return the gun to them.
    My question is - should I return the gun or continue in my quest for a taller aftermarket sight? I have an inquiry into HiViz about the 3003 sight. It is .310 inches tall compared to my original front sight of about .25 inches tall.
    Thanks guys,
    Jeff
    If your a guy who likes to tinker and isn't afraid of getting your hands dirty sometimes just go aftermarket it is way easy than hastling with sending the gun back. If you send it back you have to pay your shipping to them (they will most likely pay for the return) plus you have to insure the pistol. packaging and such are just not my cup of tea so that isn't what I would do. Hope this helps Jeff

Blake
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

I'd look into the aftermarket. As for having to pay to ship it to them, I've only had to send one gun in (FN FNP9) and they sent me a prepaid label. Can't imagine S&W would actually make you pay to ship to them.

Links