So you think the SA TRP is better eh? Well, lets see... - Page 2

So you think the SA TRP is better eh? Well, lets see...

This is a discussion on So you think the SA TRP is better eh? Well, lets see... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've owned Kimbers, Springfields, Colts and the crown jewel of my WWII collection is a near-mint Remington Rand. Never had a problem with any of ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I've owned Kimbers, Springfields, Colts and the crown jewel of my WWII collection is a near-mint Remington Rand. Never had a problem with any of them. There's a reason why the U.S. military loved them for what, 75 years? In fact, the only 1911 I've recently seen problems with is a friend's new Remington R-1. Out of the box, it shot 12 inches low at 7 yards for both of us. But Remington was quick to have him return it on their dime, and it should be coming home any day now. That said, it did still go "bang" whenever you pulled the trigger.
    The common complaints about 1911s (too big, too heavy, too many parts, hard to clean, etc.) led me to try the SAO version of the Sig P220, which I've always liked. Sure, there aren't too many ways to pimp it out, but hey, it's a Sig. And with a 3.9" barrel and aluminum frame and 8+1 capacity, it's my personal dream carry pistol. Call it a 1911 that cleans up like a Glock! LOL
    BigRay

Springfield TRP Armory Kote, Springfield Trophy Match, Sig Sauer P220R SAO, Glock 35 with Heinie Slant Pro sights, Springfield Armory XDs 45, S&W Model 29 Mountain Gun, PTR-91F in 7.62mm NATO, Springfield M1A1, Sig 556 Patrol Rifle and Benelli M2 with 10-round magazine

Senior Moderator
    The extractor broke after about 20 rounds today. That brings the total to about 220 rounds before the extractor broke.

So much for a $1400 SA 1911.

Let's see, three Kimbers at 800 rounds and no failures and the most expensive one cost $1089 vs $1400 for the TRP and I didn't have to do anything to the internals.

broken extrator 1 by ron.0000, on Flickr
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

OD*
    Unbelieveable!

That would sour me on SAs, and it's one of the reasons I dumped the factory extractors in the Springers I had.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRay View Post
    Call it a 1911 that cleans up like a Glock! LOL
    A 1911 in Glock's clothing?

I would love a P220 SAO for the same reason. A modern combat pistol with all of the features I love about the 1911.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Unbelieveable!

That would sour me on SAs, and it's one of the reasons I dumped the factory extractors in the Springers I had.
    I am sour on SA and not just over the extractor. The gun is waaaay over priced. I mean what does it have my $1089 Al frame Kimber Tactical Pro doesn't? Nothing, and I didn't have to do all the trigger and slide work on my Kimbers.

I'm especially soured on S&W - I have no idea what they're doing.

Not saying Kimber is the 'best', but they've been good for me.

And in all honesty, SA is not likely having a problem with extractors breaking or we'd have heard about it by now. Then again maybe we're starting to hear about it.

I'm thinking about calling Kimber and getting one of their extractors to replace it!

Actually, I probably have an extractor I can use.

And before we get too far down the road about Sig P220 SAs, I traded mine for something - I couldn't reliably work the safety like I can a 1911 safety. Must be the width of the gun or something.

VIP Member
    Tangle has me scared he is now going to buy a Colt and undress her! LOL.......
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    Tangle has me scared he is now going to buy a Colt and undress her! LOL.......
    Wouldn't that be interesting!

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    And in all honesty, SA is not likely having a problem with extractors breaking or we'd have heard about it by now. Then again maybe we're starting to hear about it.
    It has been mentioned on a couple of the 1911 boards, and I've seen several in the past myself, yours is the first in quite some time though. If you want a truly great extractor, get one from George Smith at EGW or one from Cylinder & Slide (unless you have a stash of real USGIs ).
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Schools out,I'm thinking it was bring your kid to work day and somebody let their kid build a gun
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

@ azchevy - I hear you, the 1911 is a piece of history. Unfortunately, I have a long list of other things I need to spend my money on, before I can get to the want of a range toy 1911.

@ Tangle - Thanks for spending your coin to satisfy your curiosity, and educate all of us. The reality is that for the ~$700+ your Kimber cost, you can about buy a Glock and a LCP as a back-up. For the ~$1400 your Springer cost, you can buy two Glocks, and a LCP as a back-up. More power to you if you can afford it, but for me the math just "doesn't add up."

Sorry to hear about the extractor - hope they take care of it for ya!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    ...The reality is that for the ~$700+ your Kimber cost, you can about buy a Glock and a LCP as a back-up. For the ~$1400 your Springer cost, you can buy two Glocks, and a LCP as a back-up. More power to you if you can afford it, but for me the math just "doesn't add up."
    But this isn't about math, it's about 1911s. People that want a 1911 don't buy a Glock if they can swing the 1911. Why would they if they had their mind set on a 1911?

We could apply the same math logic for the type of vacations we take, the kind of car, truck, or motorcycle we drive, the type/size/location of a house - just about anything. 1911s can run from about $500 to over $3000. People that want a 1911 buy 1911s like people that want a Harley buy a Harley - unless they can't, and then of course they settle for something less than they want.

With a LEO discount, you can get a Glock for a bit over $400, and a LCP can be had for under $300. Hence, ~$700.

If you like 1911s, then great - go for it. If I had the money, I would consider getting one myself as a range toy. But the BG isn't going to tell the difference between a bullet launched by a 1911 vs one launched by a Glock (or whatever). I'm not into looks, trigger feel, or anything else other than effect on target. That was my only point - I don't want to derail this into another useless 1911 vs Glock thread.

My dad spends several thousand dollars on each of his several Beretta shotguns. I only have one shotty, a relatively cheap Rem 870 Express. You could argue that his guns are better, and I suppose they are. But you couldn't tell from our scores on the trap field, where he has yet to beat me.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

You're right that price doesn't necessarily equate to quality. My 1911 cost me $300 (with 6 mags and a serpa holster) and 1500 rounds later it has been flawless with zero issues.

I like 1911s, and I appreciate 1911s for their historical importance, artistic qualities, and shooting characteristics. Mine is a RIA GI model (nothing fancy). I got a super deal on it second hand and it has been 100% reliable. But all I use mine for is range fun. I very rarely carry it anymore. No issues at all, I just feel more comfortable carrying other guns I have because I am more accurate, more familiar, and more confident with the others. I've just never fallen in love with the 1911 platform for a carry piece. I have a few others that I rarely carry (revolvers and semiautos) but as long as I have a variety of tools to meet my carry needs and can swing having others for fun, why not. I don't have any safe queens, all my guns are shooters and carriers. Some I have just because I like them. I don't need them, I don't carry them, they're not expensive, not fancy, not collectors items, nor showy impress anyone types...I just like 'em and got them at a price I couldn't pass up.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

So is it true that Kimber is back up to par since Cohen has fled the coop and gone over to Sig, or is Kimber still building with the cheaper materials from the contracts set up when Cohen was running the show?
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    So is it true that Kimber is back up to par since Cohen has fled the coop and gone over to Sig, or is Kimber still building with the cheaper materials from the contracts set up when Cohen was running the show?
    I hope Kimber not back up to par, but up to excellent. I can't answer your question directly, but I can say those negative reports about MIM failures seem to be a thing of the past. And I'm sure we'll hear of some failures, maybe from some of Kimber's problematic years and maybe even a few on their present guns.

But, I'm hearing almost no negative from Kimber owners, well, other than some break-in issues that go away and some have some isolated mag problems. But more and more I'm hearing positive about Kimber. I can't speak to Kimber longivity yet and make no pretense to. But if their MIM production is as good as it looks and the fit and finish, they'll be there for a lifetime or two.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links