Got a pic of a broken extractor? Want to see one in a SA TRP?

This is a discussion on Got a pic of a broken extractor? Want to see one in a SA TRP? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The SA TRP costs $1400 gun and I have to finish the internals and at about 220 rounds the extractor broke! Compared to a Kimber, ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Got a pic of a broken extractor? Want to see one in a SA TRP?

Senior Moderator

The SA TRP costs $1400 gun and I have to finish the internals and at about 220 rounds the extractor broke! Compared to a Kimber, this gun should be priced at about $700, and that's being generous.

Let's see, three Kimbers at 800 rounds and no failures and the most expensive one cost $1089 vs $1400 for the TRP and I didn't have to do any thing to the internals.

broken extrator 1 by ron.0000, on Flickr
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

That's just an unfortunate fluke. My 1990-vintage Springer suffered a broken extractor (same failure mode, the tip broke off) at about 5000 rounds. My TRP has about 3000 rounds through it by now and it's running like a sewing machine.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

OD*
    Tangle, is that a cast or MIM extractor?
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    What a great question. I just assumed it was MIM, but looking at it, I don't believe it is. The break looks like casting. There is no sign of MIM marks.

Here's a look at all four sides:

extractor side 1 by ron.0000, on Flickr

extractor side2 by ron.0000, on Flickr

extractor side 3 by ron.0000, on Flickr

extractor side 4 by ron.0000, on Flickr

Man that's no good. Defintely looks cast but I am no expert.
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post

Gottabe MIM..

From another site I visit...
    Nither Colt nor Kimber nor Springfield use MIM extractors.

Colt is the only major player that I'm aware of that ever used MIM extractors...and only for a brief period. An OEM Colt still shows up now and then with an MIM extractor, but that's a matter of using up existing stock. Colt has a rep for not throwing anything away, and they deal with any problems that arise from defective parts.
    Have no Idea if it's worth a hill of beans or not, but thought I'd offer it up anyway..
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

I have a RIA 1911 compact has several thousand rounds thru it very accurate,I changed the trigger and installed an Ambi-Safety,gun cost 369.00 new and I have had 0 problems.I have a friend bought a STI and had several problems including a broken ejector in the first magazine he ran thru it,so It kinda goes to show that High dollar guns even tho we expect them to be perfect can be IMHO over priced
    BugDude likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I have a RIA 9mm tactical (play gun) that has gone thru 2 extractors and is on it's 3rd. The orginal chipped at 700 rounds and the W-C Bullet Proof broke at 1200 rounds. The current W-C bullet proof has about 3700 rounds on it. I have had extractors last 10's of thousands of rounds and some that let go before 500 over the last 40+ years. That is why I always have an extra pre-fitted one as a spare for all my 1911's. I have even had a few Glock extractors break. Stuff happens - does not mean you have to like it - get it fitted and get a spare.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Wow, glad I got a Series 80 Colt Commander instead of paying double for a TRP.
    deadguy and C hawk Glock like this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Tangle I'm starting to question the user with all of your recent 1911 problems...

Just a serious run of bad luck here it seems. Sorry to be reading all of it.

The TRP is hyped up on every board on the webs. Shouldn't be like that on a gun at that price. Then again, the price may reflect the features added and not the quality of workmanship.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    Tangle I'm starting to question the user with all of your recent 1911 problems...
    LOL! Don't say that!

...Just a serious run of bad luck here it seems. Sorry to be reading all of it.
    Well, the broken extractor may be bad luck; I doubt that's a common problem. But the finishing of the internals probably is standard operating procedure.

...The TRP is hyped up on every board on the webs. Shouldn't be like that on a gun at that price. Then again, the price may reflect the features added and not the quality of workmanship.
    Yeah, I think it reflects looks, features, hype, and a mistaken reputation. And, I think there's some price gouging. I mean it's got some fancy grips, ambi safety, a mag chute, sloppy internals, and that's about it. Oh, it does have one other thing - a ridiculous take down system.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    Gottabe MIM..

From another site I visit...

Have no Idea if it's worth a hill of beans or not, but thought I'd offer it up anyway..
    He/she is correct about Colt and SA, wrong about Kimber, they tried it too, they also saw the the error of there ways.

ETA: My apologies, brain fade, I believe they are correct about SA also, all of them I have had a part with the exception of the FBI Professional Model, have been cast and not MIM.

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

I held a TRP after someone on another forum spent 10 months screaming the superiority of the TRP over every other weapon in its price range or lower. To be honest, I just did not get the warm & fuzzy feeling. It seems like a really nice weapon, but it just did not come close to warranting the price tag it held.

My Colt was half the price and has had a little custom work done to it. After everything it was still under $1k and is just a dream to shoot. I saw in the other thread about the TRP someone challenged you to get a Colt next. I would be delighted to see that happen & see a report like the ones you have on the S&W and the TRP.

Very good posts!
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

OD*
    Tangle, they did a great job finishing that extractor (lotta good it did ), on mine, the casting flange was quite evident.

What kind of cartridges were you shooting? Brass?
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links