Need a Weapon for the wife? HELP

This is a discussion on Need a Weapon for the wife? HELP within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have started getting my wife out shooting with me however the only gun she likes so far is my dads old 22 magnum but ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Need a Weapon for the wife? HELP

I have started getting my wife out shooting with me however the only gun she likes so far is my dads old 22 magnum but with long rifle loads in it. I didnt put any magnums in it due to only having long rifle. It is a old pistol about 30 years old. Wooden handle long barrel so no recoil at all. She was very accurate with it and liked it. It is a double or single action 6 shoot. Too big to carry and not enough power. She shot my XDSC 9mm and wanted to just drop it and run because of the noise and recoil. I think I can get her over the noise its just the recoil might be too much. The recoil was from a 124+P HST round as I couldnt get my hands on FMJ's.

The next big problem is her hands are soo small she cant reach the mag release or the slide release with her thumb and cant release the slide stop/also cant pull the slide back very well. Would have problems in a panic situation. I was looking into a ruger lcp but I think it will be the same problem with the slide stop and recoil. She held a S&W 642 with laser and liked it and fit her hand. However I am thinking the recoil will match or beat the 9mm XDSC so she wont like it. Havent shot one yet but just figuring they are close in recoil and the revolver will let the recoil go to the hand unlike the semi auto that takes in some recoil due to the slide. These are my options

32NAA guardian. if she can manage the slide and function the gun. I am guessing the recoil should be mild compared to the 9mm.
    32 H&R in a S&W 432PD 6 shoot and wont have any problems operating the gun.

If there is any guys that have wifes that are recoil sensitive please post or any women that have small hands and her hands arent the problem its more of her thumbs are so short.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dbraves8 View Post
    I have started getting my wife out shooting with me however the only gun she likes so far is my dads old 22 magnum but with long rifle loads in it. I didn't put any magnums in it due to only having long rifle. It is a old pistol about 30 years old. Wooden handle long barrel so no recoil at all. She was very accurate with it and liked it. It is a double or single action 6 shoot. Too big to carry and not enough power. She shot my XDSC 9mm and wanted to just drop it and run because of the noise and recoil. I think I can get her over the noise its just the recoil might be too much. The recoil was from a 124+P HST round as I couldnt get my hands on FMJ's.

The next big problem is her hands are soo small she cant reach the mag release or the slide release with her thumb and cant release the slide stop/also cant pull the slide back very well. Would have problems in a panic situation. I was looking into a ruger lcp but I think it will be the same problem with the slide stop and recoil. She held a S&W 642 with laser and liked it and fit her hand. However I am thinking the recoil will match or beat the 9mm XDSC so she wont like it. Havent shot one yet but just figuring they are close in recoil and the revolver will let the recoil go to the hand unlike the semi auto that takes in some recoil due to the slide. These are my options

32NAA guardian. if she can manage the slide and function the gun. I am guessing the recoil should be mild compared to the 9mm.
    32 H&R in a S&W 432PD 6 shoot and wont have any problems operating the gun.If there is any guys that have wifes that are recoil sensitive please post or any women that have small hands and her hands aren't the problem its more of her thumbs are so short.
    good start there as you can also fire 32 S&W longs and 32acp's . work up to a 32 H&R slowly, perhaps the 3rd range session, after she can group with the lesser rounds.
    also try ear buds and muffs. quiet it for her and happy she will better be--hopefully. cause you already may have induced a negative with the +p 9mm's

as for a slide--
    have her to push the frame away from herself with the strong hand while pulling the slide towards herself with the weak hand.
    by splitting the work she may muster the strength needed. but getting her comfy with the revolver 1st s the agenda.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Get her to try a few 9's and 38s. I would wager you can find one that will be a pussycat. My Sig P6 (the 239 or 225 would be the American equivalent) is as tame as they come.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Look at the Kahr CW9 but your best bet is to take her to a gun shop and let her finger evrything she can and gently steer her from any bad brands or designs. If she doesnt like how it fits her hand she wont carry it or shoot it.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Take your dad's old .22 magnum, clean the cylinder out real well since you really should not shoot .22 lr in a .22 magnum cylinder because of the residue left in the chambers that could keep the magnum rounds from properly chambering and may cause some pressure problems. Make sure the forcing cone is clean of built up leading from the .22 lr loads.

Now load up that .22 magnum with .22 magnum ammo and let your wife shoot that. If she likes it then until she decides on something else and she is the one that needs to decide what she wants, she has a decent self defense weapon in your dad's old revolver.

Usually being sensitive to recoil can be worked out by learning proper grip and arm/body posistioning.

Give her the Cornered Cat website as there are many good articles for the ladies in it.

Good luck.

http://corneredcat.com/
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Thanks guys. She had ear plugs and ear muffs on at the same time she could just tell it was loud and strong recoil. Also far as the cylinder in the 22 we switched out the cylinder to the one for Long rifle. so thats not a worry there. Thanks for the heads up though. She was holding the guns correct once I worked with her and is a good shot. She was hitting 8" paper plates set up next to each other 3 side by side and was switching from plate to plate and hitting them everytime with good grouping prob a 3 inch group from 7 yards away. I dont expect her to carry a gun on her all the time just want something she can use and function and shoot on target. I mainly want her to have it in the car or in her purse with her at all times. Since like most women in their young 20's wear tight fitting clothing its hard to conceal for women.

She wants a gun that fits her hand in a caliber she can control. She will need to handle them for herself, but will probably eliminate all the double stacks including those with interchangeable back straps. FWIW the baby GLOCK and XD, frequently recommended for the little lady, are quite snappy and very susceptible to malfunctions with slightest amount of limp-wristing.

To check fit, align the gun with the forearm and check trigger reach. For a single action she needs enough trigger finger to reach the center of the pad of the first joint. For a traditional double action or DA/SA she needs enough trigger finger to reach the outside edge of the trigger with the crease of the first joint (power crease) in order to have enough leverage to pull it. Don't cheat on a DA/SA and thumb cock the hammer for the first shot.

If you are looking at .380 ACP semi's look at something around 25 ounces and 3" + of barrel. The Bersa is good. If the budget permits, look at a Sig P238.

The Kahr K9 should be given a serious look. It's single stack 9mm with surprisingly soft recoil. Kahr will cost more than Bersa, but 9mm ammo for practice is more available and cheaper than .380.

NAA .32 Guardian has a smooth but long and heavy trigger. very short sight radius, and probably stiff for her recoil spring.

Actually I am in the revolver school of thought for situations like yours and an all steel 3" J-frame S&W or Ruger 101 with cushy grips and light loads is where I would turn to look when the time comes.

Be supportive and let her enjoy the .22 for a while rather than rushing things. Sorta like the first kiss - patience is a virtue, if you rush the first time you may not get a second time.

It's her quest so let her lead, but stay close enough she don't get hornswoggled by some fast talking salesman.

Best wishes!

I would recommend letting her enjoy/get real good with a 22lr pistol, since she is starting to go out shooting with you ( not a carry piece)...maybe get her a 5" walther p22...let her get real used to it...then slowly check out various 9's along the way, if she develops an interest in home defense or for carry then be more serious about trying others...Kahr K-9, or Walther PPS 9, Berretta PX 4comp...

Go to a range that rents guns and let her fire a few.

The 642 probably does feel good when just holding it, but the recoil is pretty bad. Concealing with "tight fitting" clothing is doable, but it is more difficult to conceal a full size weapon without a cover garment. What really helped me was sitting down and watching Limatune's videos.

Check out a Ruger LCR 38, Mild recoil, small enough for easy carry.

Do you re-load? If so you can load up some pretty tame .38s since the 642 feels good to her. If not you can buy some low re-coil .38s also. Heck maybe even some .38 bird shot till she gets used to it. But I would continue with the .22 until shes ready to move up. As mentioned the Walther P22 would be a good starting place.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

An officer model 1911 is a great gun for a woman. A lot of people look at the 38 snub, the .380's and even light 9mm's and brand them as "women" guns cause they are smaller (I'm guilty of this too) when in fact, a larger, heavier gun is easier to control and shoot. I can tell you my .38 airweight snub with +p ammo is a ***** to shoot compared to my commander model 1911. And my wife wants a .45, so she's getting an officer model 1911 with pink grips!

Besides, God forbid she had to shoot in defense, a .45 gives her the best chance of disabling a would be attacker. Say what you want but a .45 hollow point in 230gr will take the fight out of someone faster than a .380 or 38 which seem to be the most common "woman calibers".

My wife has had a steel framed S&W 36 in the night stand for years. Last month I got her to get a carry permit. She is a former USAF Security Police so she is no stranger to fire arms. I want her to start carrying, especially when she travels to Atlanta to see family.

I started her with a Kahr P380, she shot it well and it is a dream to carry. The only problem is...well...its a .380. Next I had her try a Ruger LC9, it has more recoil and barks a little louder but she could handle it. I convinced her that the bark she feels is indicative of the bite that the bad guy will feel. I gave her the gun and made a holster for her. She is now carrying it around the house getting used to it. She told me tonight that she is becoming more and more comfortable about it.

I think if you put it to your wife that if and when she needs the gun that the recoil and noise won't be an issue and run some short 25 round range sessions you might find that she can handle a 9mm a little easier.

Good luck!

I started with a Ruger LCR. Grip was small enough for my hands, but still felt substantial. I found that it was a little too snappy for my liking though and switched to a LC9. The S&W Bodyguard has a grip that's perfect for small hands, but as I've never personally shot one I can't speak for the recoil.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links