Is the EMP 9mm a high quality gun?

This is a discussion on Is the EMP 9mm a high quality gun? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know alot of you that own the Springfield EMP 9mm love how the gun shoots and feels, but would you say its a high ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Is the EMP 9mm a high quality gun?

Is the EMP 9mm a high quality gun?

I know alot of you that own the Springfield EMP 9mm love how the gun shoots and feels, but would you say its a high quality gun? I'm talking about fit and finish, quality of machining. I'm really wanting one of these and havent been able to handle one yet. Personally I think they are pretty expensive givin its a 3" 9mm thats a shrunkin 1911. Is that correct? They are a little bit smaller that a standard 1911? I think they are beautiful guns and I could easily get some use out of this. Are they worth the money? I know thats subjective but is it a gun that should last a lifetime with proper car?

Thanks
    Steve
    I carry a .357mag because no one bickers about the .357mag being "enough".

2. Remove Ads

Heck, a Rock Island Armory can last a lifetime with proper care and would run you under $400.

But yes, the EMP is very nice... was tempted myself but decided not to spend so much money at this time.

All I can say is I love mine. Yes, a bit expensive but I believe it is very high quality, shoots great and so far no FTF. No regrets at all. Go to LGS and check one out. Ill bet you will be impressed.
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

I have not fired one, but I have handled one in a store. From what I remember it appeared to be of good quality. Yes, they are quite a bit smaller than a compact 1911 since it's a 9mm, but it's much larger than many other 9mm on the market. This gun are for people who want to carry a single action gun in the cocked and locked position, but I am sure there are many who would prefer the .45acp if they are going for a 1911 style gun. You might want to take a look at the Colt Defender, it's a very compact 1911 in .45ACP.

Yes, it is.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I borrowed my buddy's and took it to the range. It shot cloverleaf groups at 15 yards and I'm not that good a shot. The 9mm is a great round for this pistol. The 40 has a steel frame while the 9 is alloy. As soon as I can sell a few holsters this baby will be mine!

I love mine. It carries very well. Extremely accurate and reliable.

Thanks for the replies. I'm gonna head out to a couple of shops this weekend in hopes of finding one. It sure is a beauty!
    I carry a .357mag because no one bickers about the .357mag being "enough".

mkh
    I don't know as I don't have one. I do have the EMP .40 though and it is worth every penny. The quality and fit is excellent and the steel frame handles the .40 well. It is my EDC and if fills that role very well. Check out the EMP postings in the Springfield section of the 1911 forums.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    The Springfield that is in my avatar is bigger, heavier, and shoots .45, but I love everything about the build of this gun and I wear it a lot. I'd buy another Springfield in a minute.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

You should be aware, that IIRC it wont handle +p loads. IMO any modern era handgun should be able to shoot +p rounds. That would make it a no-go for me.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Yes, I would consider this a high quality pistol, well that is if its well taken care of.

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    You should be aware, that IIRC it wont handle +p loads. IMO any modern era handgun should be able to shoot +p rounds. That would make it a no-go for me.
    Massad Ayoob told me on Glocktalk that he runs the 127-gr. +P+ Ranger load through his at the rate of about 100 rounds per year and has seen no detectable increase in wear and tear. The gun will handle +P loads about as well as any other gun, which is to say that the gun will not explode with factory +P or +P+ loads but will probably see some accelerated wear over the gun's lifetime, which is many more rounds than the average shooter will put through it.

Additionally, there have been mixed reports... some people report calling Springfield and them saying that limited +P was fine.

If the +P is a no-go, there's plenty of fine 124-gr. and 147-gr. standard pressure loads.
    Hakkaa päälle!

I really do love mine. Had some minor issues with it chambering H.P.'s out of the mag hitting the mag release, it always seemed to get caught up on the feed ramp but sent it into the great Springfield customer service and got it back in about a week and have had no more issues. I carry it almost all the time, very concealable, very accurate for a 3" barrel.

Senior Moderator
    I guess it depends on what you mean by high quality. If it's manufactured like the TRP, it isn't a high quality gun. I read a lot here about fit and finish, but if that only applies to the outside, then you may want to look inside. My TRP, a $1400 gun, isn't so fit and finished inside.

Here's what's inside a $1400 SA TRP:
    So you think the SA TRP is better eh? Well, lets see...

I can't speak to the EMP, but I can the TRP and the Kimber Tactical Pro 9mms. I will be posting some pics of the insides of a Kimber similar to the ones in the link above. The difference in quality is not only unmistakeable, but incredible. If you look at the referenced thread, all that I had to do on the TRP was already done on my three Kimbers. And my Pro Carry only cost $720.

And, if by quality you mean non-MIM, non-cast parts, you'd better check. The $1400 TRP has sloppy cast parts and on my brand new one, the cast extractor broke at 220 rounds.

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but when you say high quality, I think it needs to be supported by other than how it looks on the outside and how it runs.
    BlueHawk76 likes this.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links