Record your Serial numbers - Page 2

Record your Serial numbers

This is a discussion on Record your Serial numbers within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had a disk with every firearm I own on it. I lost it, thanks for posting this. I am going immediately to redo my ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Record your Serial numbers

I had a disk with every firearm I own on it. I lost it, thanks for posting this. I am going immediately to redo my list with pictures and documentation.

I use Bento (A Mac software) for a lot of databases...just found a free firearms template! Here I go!

I record serial numbers, and I photograph every gun I own. If for no other reason for insurance purposes.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

not just your guns, any you guys have any tools?(other than guns)

Senior Moderator
    Adding expensive tools to the gun list is probably a wise thing to do...I gotta' get on top of this project.
    Serial numbers as well as pics...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Me too, but the serial numbers just look like random numbers. I don't think someone finding them could do anything with the information even if they recognized what it was.

You are probably right. Unfortunately, many believe that the cloud providers go to the max to secure their data. Even the big guys, like Google, have been hacked. Additionally, if someone hacks the cloud the vendor may not be responsible for helping retrieve or for damages.

Also, I don't really feel all that warm and fuzzy about the security of stuff I have on HD or USB flash, except when it is encrypted; and even then? Not so sure.
    If your HD is connected to any network it is vulnerable. The flash drives do offer encryption as do HD's, however, most folks never take time to encrypt. I keep on flash drive that I do not share or use for anything but keeping the data I mentioned above.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by mwhartman View Post
    If your HD is connected to any network it is vulnerable. The flash drives do offer encryption as do HD's, however, most folks never take time to encrypt. I keep on flash drive that I do not share or use for anything but keeping the data I mentioned above.
    There is a free program called TrueCrypt that you can use to secure your computer's hard drive, your thumb drives, jump drives, almost any drive. It's free and its secure. I use this on almost all my thumb drives. Once installed, set with a 32-digit passcode, and do not store the keys on the drive, it is all but unbreakable. Your passcode can be shorter and you can store the keys on the drive to make it easier to recover a lost passcode, but then you give up a lot of the security.

My other suggestion is to always keep any important data in two places on separate media. Whether it be two separate thumb drives, a backup of your thumb drive on your pc or laptop, burn it to a dvd, whatever. Encrypt it and duplicate it. Here is a link to their webpage. TrueCrypt - Free Open-Source On-The-Fly Disk Encryption Software for Windows 7/Vista/XP, Mac OS X and Linux
    mwhartman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ianator View Post
    I keep a running list of serial numbers for each and every one of my guns. Especially if they are not registered.
    Registered? Not in TX unless you have to do so as an active duty member of the Military.
    I keep all mine on a spreadsheet stored on a laptop, flash drive and E-Mailed to myself.
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Diddle View Post
    I do the same thing using Excel. I have columns for all needed data plus color-coded columns that match a firearm with it's holster(s) and purchased accessories such as laser sights, upgraded sights etc. Also, pictures of the firearm from both sides and in high enough resolution to clearly see the serial number. I also include and sum the totals for purchase price, accessorie(s) price(s) DOP, seller and invoice number. I know at a glance what I have, where it is, what it cost and have a running total of values.
    Care to share that spreadsheet, blank of course, I need something to start my collection on.

I keep a spreadsheet listing the gun, serial number, caliber, where purchased, date purchased, date sold and to whom (if sold or traded). I keep said spreadsheet backed up and a current copy on a thumb drive along with photos of all guns. A thumb drive copy of everything is also kept at my insurance company in my file for my home owner's insurance.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Adding expensive tools to the gun list is probably a wise thing to do...I gotta' get on top of this project.
    Serial numbers as well as pics...
    Power tools and yard equipment are the most unrecovered stolen property in the US.
    I'm going to have to hire someone to help me find all my guns....j/k
    I keep all my pics and info (and all kinds of good stuff) on CD's. I leave one at work, and one at my other house.

Just common sense to record all weapons and keep in a safe place. The LGS where I have purchased three of my guns included a Firearms Inventory List ( I think that's what it is called!) and I have recorded every weapon with all pertinent information.Is this even a question a responsible person should think about twice?!
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

Quote Originally Posted by BubbaDX View Post
    There is a free program called TrueCrypt that you can use to secure your computer's hard drive, your thumb drives, jump drives, almost any drive. It's free and its secure. I use this on almost all my thumb drives. Once installed, set with a 32-digit passcode, and do not store the keys on the drive, it is all but unbreakable. Your passcode can be shorter and you can store the keys on the drive to make it easier to recover a lost passcode, but then you give up a lot of the security.

My other suggestion is to always keep any important data in two places on separate media. Whether it be two separate thumb drives, a backup of your thumb drive on your pc or laptop, burn it to a dvd, whatever. Encrypt it and duplicate it. Here is a link to their webpage. TrueCrypt - Free Open-Source On-The-Fly Disk Encryption Software for Windows 7/Vista/XP, Mac OS X and Linux
    Penn State had a similar software tool that encrypted user HD's. The bad guys seem to be a step ahead and the users do not use the available tools which makes the bad guys job easier.

Like with our firearms, we are our best security!
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

I write down the manufacturer, serial #, caliber, and date of purchase. I use a large brown legal size envelope and store the associated papers inside. I stick the envelope in the safe. I like the idea of a CD/DVD with photos, so I need to get busy.

Thanks for the great ideas,

-- Richard
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    Every few years I update photographs of each gun in my stable with the ser. # clearly visible and store them on a disk. I keep it in a safety dep. box at the bank. In the event of a catastrophic event, it will make insurance claims easier.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links