Record your Serial numbers

This is a discussion on Record your Serial numbers within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Did a quick search, nothing came up. I just wanted to see if anyone else does this. If not, maybe its a good time to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Record your Serial numbers

Record your Serial numbers

Did a quick search, nothing came up.

I just wanted to see if anyone else does this. If not, maybe its a good time to do it. (I know, I'm paranoid )

We all have guns. We all have guns we bought through an FFL. We also have guns that have been given to us through family, friends, etc...
    I keep a running list of serial numbers for each and every one of my guns. Especially if they are not registered.
    My line of thinking is if something gets stolen and I report it, they can just look up the number with the ATF. But what about those old guns that have been in the family for years, or you are not 100% sure what their history of ownership is?

Just a thought, I write all mine down so if something were to get stolen I could still report it stolen with a serial number instead of a "umm...It was a JC Higgins 12ga. made in 1944"
    bmcgilvray likes this.

2. Remove Ads

GM
    I record every firearm's manufacturer, model, caliber, and serial number. I guess I am paranoid too . And I also want to know what firearms I own.
    mwhartman likes this.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Take a photo of the weapon, put the serial number on the photo. Keep a copy on CD and or thumb drive in another location.
    mwhartman, bps3040 and RemMod597 like this.

I keep an inventory record on a spreadsheet documenting serial numbers along with the other pertinent info. I also keep a photo record of every gun I own. Have done this for years. It's a good idea to do this.

Every time I buy a firearm I put the original sales receipt with all weapon info in my banks safe deposit box, I put a copy in my safe & I keep a copy in my car (for any weapon I will potentially carry).

If I am ever pulled over I can immediately prove ownership.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

An inventory control is the means for me to keep up with the menagerie.

It's senseless to have a collection without it.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I put then on my computer and also on a piece of paper in my wallet.Make,model,ser#,date of purchase.where bought. sj

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    I record every firearm's manufacturer, model, caliber, and serial number. I guess I am paranoid too . And I also want to know what firearms I own.
    I do the same thing using Excel. I have columns for all needed data plus color-coded columns that match a firearm with it's holster(s) and purchased accessories such as laser sights, upgraded sights etc. Also, pictures of the firearm from both sides and in high enough resolution to clearly see the serial number. I also include and sum the totals for purchase price, accessorie(s) price(s) DOP, seller and invoice number. I know at a glance what I have, where it is, what it cost and have a running total of values.
    TheGiant and RemMod597 like this.

My wife keeps track of all my stuff - just to be sure I exceed the limits she has imposed or she decides i'm worth more nead than alive!!!!! Pictures, listed and insured
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

In addition to my guns I keep my credit card info, drivers licenses, passport, and financial accounts on a CD, thumb drive, and hard copy all of which is locked up in a safe and at our banks safe deposit box.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

VIP Member
    Yup, I've got them recorded. What I need to also do is photograph each one and attach the photo to the serial number. I keep a copy in the Cloud so I won't loose it in a drive crash.

I think keeping the serial numbers of guns is one of the most important things we can do to protect ourselves in the unlikely event our guns are taken and used in a crime.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

I'm way to leery of storing anything in some third party cloud. I made my living in IT and clouds scare me.
    RemMod597 and Brady like this.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Wow, I guess I'm more normal than I thought!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mwhartman View Post
    I'm way to leery of storing anything in some third party cloud. I made my living in IT and clouds scare me.
    Me too, but the serial numbers just look like random numbers. I don't think someone finding them could do anything with the information even if they recognized what it was.

Also, I don't really feel all that warm and fuzzy about the security of stuff I have on HD or USB flash, except when it is encrypted; and even then? Not so sure.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

I took this step years ago. Mostly for theft reasons.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links