FNH FiveSeveN

FNH FiveSeveN

This is a discussion on FNH FiveSeveN within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; hello all, I have a buddy who is looking to buy his first handgun and has been looking at the FN Herstal FiveseveN but I'm ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: FNH FiveSeveN

FNH FiveSeveN

hello all,
    I have a buddy who is looking to buy his first handgun and has been looking at the FN Herstal FiveseveN but I'm not really sold on that Idea, I'm fairly convinced that it's just a proprietary round that will never go anywhere (kindof like the HK 4.6mm).
    what do you guys think? is it a good choice or might he be better off going with an FNP or other notables like glock or springfield?

I think it is just kind of a gimmicky round. For the money, there are much better, more proven handguns.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    I talked to a guy who had one and sold it. He said it was a hand cannon and not much fun to shoot and too large and heavy to carry. If I had the money to spend on something that would most likely be a safe queen, the 5.7 would rate pretty high, but so would the FNH Tactical.

ok now I am not trying to say that was false info but the 5.7 has less recoil than a 9mm and weighs almost a full pound less(fully loaded) than an XDM9(fully loaded) so in what way was it a hand cannon?

So many other proven choices in more popular calibers to choose from...I'm just sayin'...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

On this site the term "shot placement" rains supreme. The FN 5 seven has little recoil and is very controllable for excellent shot placement. It also holds a lot of rounds of ammo. All good traits. Negatives are...the price is high and availability of ammo may be scarce. Bottom line...Go for it...I'd love to have one too.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

What is your buddy's stated need for a handgun - protection/defense, or just to 'have'?

The 5.7 has a meager track record as a defensive round because it's new, AND the ammo is relatively scarce and expensive. To date there are zero American law enforcement agencies that have adopted the 5.7 as their issue round. Add that up, and my view is that there are far better choices.
    JD likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    I shoot a friends about a year ago. Very nice shooter. Accurate, little recoil and accurate. Another friend carries one as his main ccw choice. As far a people stopper goes, it was 5.7 that was by the wack job that shot up a certain Army base.

5.7 is also what the P90 uses.

Sent from my Samsung Infuse via Tapatalk
    NRA Life Member

not to start anything but the part where no law enforcement agency has chosen 5.7 is wrong. The secret service has chosen it as one of there rounds. they use that and 357 sig

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalexplr View Post
    I shoot a friends about a year ago. Very nice shooter. Accurate, little recoil and accurate. Another friend carries one as his main ccw choice. As far a people stopper goes, it was 5.7 that was by the wack job that shot up a certain Army base.

5.7 is also what the P90 uses.

Sent from my Samsung Infuse via Tapatalk
    You shoot your friends, I'd hate to know what you do to your enemies. Seriously though, a rifle round in a pistol package, not good in a crowd. Go with something else more proven and less dangerous to me walking past the BG your shooting
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

If your buddy really wants something like a 5.7 in a pistol, maybe he should pick up something in 22 magnum.
    ZTF Hitman likes this.

Senior Moderator
    5.7 x 28 is not a "rifle round". Not remotely close.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Isn't the 5.7 all about the ability to penetrate body armor (and other penetration capability)?

In any event it worked better for Nidal Hassan than the 9mm did for Jared Loughner, so I wouldn't sneeze at it.

Almost identical ballistics to 22 magnum...just sayin.

I have seen people online giving great Youtube review clips. I like the idea of having a twenty round standard clip that you can add a +10 extender. I talked to some of the guys at the gun store and although the gun is expensive, the ammo that they had wasn't too bad. Also, as far as lethality goes, one of the defensive rounds made for it is designed to fragment and create three separate wounds after entry.

Just FYI, from what I've heard, the FHN 5.7 is one of the most profitable guns made. Because there is so much plastic and so little metal, the cost per unit to make that gun is something ridiculous like $40!!!...then they turn around and sell them for a grand. So many of the fun FNH toys have so much research and development attributed to their design that they definitely don't mind passing that expense along to the customer.
    NoNameMan likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links