FINALLY!!! Baby Eagle II, Full size (4.52) .40, Poly in my possession!

This is a discussion on FINALLY!!! Baby Eagle II, Full size (4.52) .40, Poly in my possession! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Cliff notes on my saga... Magnum Research the only importer for a long time of the Baby Eagle (Jericho 941) from Israeli Weapons Industry. In ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FINALLY!!! Baby Eagle II, Full size (4.52) .40, Poly in my possession!

FINALLY!!! Baby Eagle II, Full size (4.52) .40, Poly in my possession!

Cliff notes on my saga...

Magnum Research the only importer for a long time of the Baby Eagle (Jericho 941) from Israeli Weapons Industry. In early 2007 I got my first one (Full size steel, .40).

2009(?) importation transferred to Charles Daly, name changed to Jericho 941.

2010 - Charles Daly closes shop - Baby Eagle no longer imported by anyone. My BE is showing the effects of 15x7 carry, and my job as a field service tech is not helping (sand/grit in the holster + sweat = RUST). Never mind it is my only carry and IDPA match gun. The panic button is hit.

Start the epic search for a sister to my carry. Lots of 9mm and .45. .40 is the unicorn of pistols. Finally locate another in the late fall.

Winter 2010 - Rumor starts to circulate that Magnum Research will resume importation.

Spring 2011 - It's official, they are coming back with new frame design (accessory rail) and finally have a full size version of the Poly frame (previously 3.9" barrel - semi compact)

Late spring 2011 - I start the search for a full size poly. As usual, Magnum Research is not doing any advertising or promoting of the pistol. Kahr arms (current owner of Magnum research) is doing nothing. Result - None of the box stores are carrying it yet, special order only, and obligated to purchase.

When I first saw the new full size poly version I decided that I was seriously going to look into it, but wanted to touch and feel first with the new grip. .40 is slow on making it to Gunbroker and other auction houses, and only a couple online stores carrying them.

The cancer on my carry finally started to spread from the frame to the slide and I decided that enough was enough, time to take her out of service for a Duracoat refinish (which means at least 3 months of inactivity for proper cure). So, Wednesday 7/6/2011 I called up my local gun shop and had him order it in for me, since the price would end up the same after shipping and FFL transfer fees vs. sales tax and his markup. Friday 7/8/2011 I get a call that my pistol is in, come and get it. $583.00 out the door, and he threw in a box of Golden Sabers. I'm a Federal HST guy, so I have 25 rounds of factory ammo to test. I may save a few for future ballistics comparison against the HSTs.

The grip overall actually feels skinner, and the finger grooves are not as bad as I was thinking. The beaver tail however is a bit larger than the steel version and is noticeable on my muscle memory grip and safety release, and I can feel the casting seams (400 grit sandpaper in my future).

Also feels like they tightened up the trigger for SA (my steel is maybe 3# max). Might just be that I have shot the heck out of my regular. I would also appear that I need to order up some replacement recoil springs and magazine springs. Mine [current carry] are a bit soft by comparison.

Not a fan of the "tacti-cool" accessory rails that have become the fad and norm for most guns, but I'll live with it.

Thank the gods for Kydex, I don't have to buy another holster, just re-form my current IWB.

I will update with pics later today, along with a range report (IDPA match - virgin shot at the buzzer).
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

2. Remove Ads

GM
    Congrats and enjoy! I hope it goes well today; and do not forget the pics
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I live in the Show Me state... I demand pics in order to believe it exists

Grats on a great firearm!
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

pictures!!
    ”A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them..."
    -George Washington

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    pics or it didnt happen
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

OK, You asked for it.

BE II on top, Old failthful underneath.

Closeup-ish of my rust issue.

No rust on this side - Kydex side of holster.

New one.

Side by side

Sticks

A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Field stripped

Sticks

See also Sheep

Range Report;

Epic fail...

IWI has a stellar reputation for quality and reliability...at least by my standards since I own 5 of them. This is the first one to give me issues.

Right out of the gate I was having feed issues. The round would get hung going into the chamber, more on this later. When I first picked it up, something looked off to me, and I just figured it was the different rear sight design. Well, upon the test firing before the match to see where she hits, I was consistently 2" to the left at 10 yards (est.). I got to looking at the rear sight and it does indeed appear to be off center to the left a touch. Not a biggie, I can either tap it over or have a pro do it.

Weight - The poly version loaded is slightly lighter than my steel unloaded. All the weight is in the slide so she's a bit top heavy but I could not really tell much of a difference in recoil management. I plan on heading to an indoor range today for a side by side among other things.

Grip - very comfortable. All the design, features, and I suspect internals of the 20 year old design are the same (if it aint broke, don't fix it).

The poly slide is just slightly longer than the steel slide (I swapped them out), and there is a minor difference in the slide mounted safety arms/levers.

Back to the feed issues...

To start with, I was shooting my own reloads which I built to spec according to Accurate Powders reloading chart at COL 1.135. Oops, this is the max COL for this chamber, in this weapon, so 1.137 is iffy (not official, I found out the hard way). All my other batches were 1.125 COL (looks like I will be running the remainder back through the press to 1.130 after I chrono a few first). I was not using the factory mags that have the plastic floor plate, I was using my older ones with the steel floor plate. I thought that there might be a slight design difference there, so I switched over when the match started.

Stage one - The first 3 shots went off great, then the feed issue came back. By the end of the stage, I learned that I don't have to drop the round, I can do a partial slide pull and release and she'll chamber. Very annoying, especially on the Texas Star. "No double taps for you!!"

By the 3rd of 4 stages I bought a box of factory ammo from another shooter and hoped against hope that it was my home cooking that was causing my problem. Nope. Factory round, on the "Load and make ready".. FTF!!! Well, crap. At least I found out that it's not just me. I tried the freebie box of Golden Sabers I was given and had the same problem.

I get home and pull the barrels from my primary and poly and hand feed a round into them. Hangs up on the transfer from the ramp to the chamber in the poly's barrel. So, now I am down to adjusting the sight myself, and polishing the feed ramp, or boxing her up and sending back to Magnum research for them to "Make it right."

Here in a couple hours I will head off to the dreaded indoor range to try a few things.

*Bench shots to verify accuracy. Is it me, or the gun. I'll get another shooter to fire a few to see. I don't want to be that guy whining to the factory that the gun is inaccurate when it is an operator error.
    *Barrel swap to see if the feed issue goes away. Side by side by my calibrated eyeball (+/- 1/64"), they are the same. Same ramp, outer chamber, barrel lugs, etc. I'll mic a few points before I go to make sure.
    *I'd do a complete slide swap, but they are not interchangeable, at least I am not going to try it given the length difference.

I really need to take my primary out of service to get the finish problem taken care of, but I don't trust the new one with my life yet. 500 failure free shots and I'll feel better about it.
    Sticks

See also Sheep

Cool

Congrats on your new addition.

Hope you get all your issues straightened out.

Thanks for the photographic portfolio and the War and Peace write up. (just pulling your chain)
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Update...

Just got back from the range.

Definitely a feed ramp issue with the barrel. Swapped out with my primary and not one hiccup. Shot the new barrel in my primary and FTF right out of the gate.

Accuracy...Had one of the range employees shoot it and his first 3 were 2" left like mine, then he was on target. I fired another 250 rounds and still consistently left 2" on average. Switched over to my primary and 2" group right in the center (20 rounds), both @ 15 yards.

Still not convinced it's me. I know I have a mild flinch/anticipation issue that only regular practice will cure, but no matter how many different mild adjustments to my grip (squeeze tighter, more thumb pressure, etc.) I still shot left.

Now the request for recommendations...

Should I send back to Magnum Research for the feeding issue, and have them double check the sights, or suck it up and deal with it myself locally?
    Sticks

See also Sheep

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Nice posts Sticks! BTW - when are you coming to visit in the Pacific NW?????? Your issue presents options as you know. You could polish the ramp yourself (most of us 1911 owners are quite familiar with this task). A little at a time and you might get the angles just right. The downside is a) the ramp is too low in the frame and your efforts will be a waste of time, or b) you won't get the results you want. Find out from Magnum Research what turn time they can reasonably foresee and if it's not too long, send it back. If it's longer than you want to wait, try doing the job yourself. As for the sights, that should be an easy fix at home. JMHO....
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

If it takes more than 2 weeks to have the factory do it and get it back, I'd do it myself. But I'm an impatient person. lol. Polishing is no big deal, though. That's really up to you if you feel comfortable doing it. As for the sights, a couple taps with a drift punch should take care of that, with no chance of voiding the warranty. I definitely would NOT send it back to have the sights adjusted. That's something that often has to be done to suit the individual using the gun, not the random guy at the factory.

Yeah, I'm an impatient guy too in things like this, especially when it's a new toy. Seems to be my luck. New laptop went tango uniform in 2 days after waiting a month for assembly and delivery, Keltec Sub 2000 went back twice for wayyyyy off center primer strikes, and now this.

This is why I hate buying things sight unseen. No option to inspect and pick a different one if you find flaws.
    Sticks

See also Sheep

Nice pics, great report, and thanks for sharing...you lucky dog.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links