CM9

This is a discussion on CM9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I bought a new CM9 several weeks ago. So far have had two range sessions for the last two Thursdays, about 100 rounds each session. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CM9

CM9

I bought a new CM9 several weeks ago. So far have had two range sessions for the last two Thursdays, about 100 rounds each session. Any misgivings are gone I have real confidence in this small Kahr and can hit reasonable targets form 15 to 60 feet. Kahr has produced another winner!

-- Richard
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

2. Remove Ads

+1+

Sure love mine! Flawless function, comfortable to carry, great 'power to weight' ratio, and scary accurate!

Regards,
    Jim

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    I have right at 450 rounds through my CM9 and also have a cw9 so I use the 7 & 8 shot mags for it too. Pickup a comp-tac mtac neutral for a cw9 and CM9 for when i don't pocket carry, very flexible and comfortible holster.

Glad to hear the Kahr is running like it should... My PM40 has only had a couple of hiccups over a few hundred rounds, I blame it on the shooter or the rounds, but who knows.. I don't carry it much at all, but it's still a good little shooter.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

There's a lot of talk on kahrtalk.com about magazine problems, failure to feed, nose dives, and modifications required to make the CM9 and PM9 work. Mine had 200 rounds thru it before there were any problems. Now it nose dives occasionally and it's a bit hard to drop the magazine. I have to try some of the suggested mods and see what happens...

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorBob View Post
    There's a lot of talk on kahrtalk.com about magazine problems, failure to feed, nose dives, and modifications required to make the CM9 and PM9 work. Mine had 200 rounds thru it before there were any problems. Now it nose dives occasionally and it's a bit hard to drop the magazine. I have to try some of the suggested mods and see what happens...
    I bought a PM9 direct from Kahr via their Instructor sales program a few months ago. As of today, I have just over 600 rounds through it. It works fine with the 6-round mags, but the 7-round mags are a different story...nose down jams every mag. I sent the 7-rd mag back to Kahr, and they replaced it with a 6-rd mag.

I posted over at Kahrtalk, and this seems to be a common issue.

My mags will not drop free, but I do not consider this a problem. If my PM9 runs dry, I will not attempt to reload it, because I carry a "NY reload"...aka a second gun - a Ruger LCP.
    Last edited by 10thmtn; July 9th, 2011 at 09:49 PM.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

10thmtn,

That is an interesting comment about a second pistol. I have carried either a spare magazine or another pistol. I have several CCW friends that carry two instead of a spare magazine. Because I have both a CW9 and now a CM9 I may try one in a holster and one in a pocket. I worry about a malfunction and this approach would resolve such a terrible event.

-- Richard
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

Exactly my thinking. In business attire, I do not carry spare mags on me, though I do have two in my briefcase.

The other issue is the Kahr manual of arms. I've always trained to use the overhand or slingshot method of either racking in the first round, or clearing a malfunction. With the Kahr, you need to use the slide release to reliably chamber a round. I do not trust myself to remember this while under stress, so my default to my PM9 failing to go bang for any reason is to drop it and go to my LCP. Drawing a secondary is faster than clearing a malfunction or reloading anyway.
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

twc
    After the last round, do kahrs slides lock to the rear?

Quote Originally Posted by twc View Post
    After the last round, do kahrs slides lock to the rear?
    yes
    CT Lasers

congrats on the new cm9,nice little gun.thanks for the report..

Quote Originally Posted by RKirk View Post
    I bought a new CM9 several weeks ago. So far have had two range sessions for the last two Thursdays, about 100 rounds each session. Any misgivings are gone I have real confidence in this small Kahr and can hit reasonable targets form 15 to 60 feet. Kahr has produced another winner!

-- Richard
    great to hear this!! I want a CM9 next. just got to really try out the new CW9 I bought recently this last weekend. I love that gun.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Exactly my thinking. In business attire, I do not carry spare mags on me, though I do have two in my briefcase.

The other issue is the Kahr manual of arms. I've always trained to use the overhand or slingshot method of either racking in the first round, or clearing a malfunction. With the Kahr, you need to use the slide release to reliably chamber a round. I do not trust myself to remember this while under stress, so my default to my PM9 failing to go bang for any reason is to drop it and go to my LCP. Drawing a secondary is faster than clearing a malfunction or reloading anyway.
    Since you get a lockback after last round in mag I haven't seen this as much of a problem. Also, I've been successful with slingshotting my PM9 to load... you have to get REAL forceful with it but once I got the hang of it the slingshot rack works just fine 100% of the time for me. It is MUCH easier to slingshot my G19 though!
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

It seems some Kahr pistols will load properly using the slingshot or overhand method, while others will not. The manual cautions to only use the slide release lever, so that is what I do with my Kahr.

In any case, it is a moot point, because a NY reload is faster than any other.

When I carry extra mags, it is only for the purposes of a tactical reload - if the gun runs dry during a fight, it's time for the secondary.
    CT Lasers

No arguments there!
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links