New Gun Today!!

New Gun Today!!

This is a discussion on New Gun Today!! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, I had to get rid of my Colt Commando Special .38 as it was just too much gun for pocket carry. Fortunately, I was ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: New Gun Today!!

New Gun Today!!

Well, I had to get rid of my Colt Commando Special .38 as it was just too much gun for pocket carry. Fortunately, I was able to find a buyer for and no $$$ were lost in the transaction. I went down this AM and replaced it with a real nice NAA Guardian .380 that, I think, will serve me just fine. I was seriously considering a Seecamp .32, and although the NAA is slightly longer and slightly heavier, it was substantially cheaper. I'm sure the Seecamp is a wonderful gun but my research tells me that the NAA is easier to field strip, clean, customize and is not especially picky about ammo AND .38 is bigger than .32!! I think I did alright.

With that said, I'd like to hear your thoughts on good SD ammo, pocket holsters, and pretty grips

380main.jpg
    Attached Images
    "I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them" ......... John Bernard Books, John Wayne in the Shootist

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    .380 is the very minimum caliber for defense. I do carry one when I have to carry deep. Mine is a AMT Backup that feeds Corbons every time. I normally carry a Glock 19 or an HK P2K but sometimes you just go go light.

I have an LCP that rides in a Desantis Nemesis.

I normally feed it 90 grain Gold Dots.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Cool

Congrats on the new gun.

I would run at least a hundred rounds of FMJ ammo through it to check it's reliability.

There should be no failure to feed or failure to eject before I would trust it for CCW.

Buffalo Bore makes a .380 +p defensive round that lots of folks like.

Trial and error but reliability is the most important issue in my opinion.

I have a Diamondback .380 I use as a BUG and I carry Speer Gold Dot HP or Speer Lawman FMJ.

I use a High Noon Pocket Grabber for my DB and also a Mr. Softy for IWB.

photo.jpg
    click image to enlarge....
    BugDude likes this.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    Congrats on the new gun.

I would run at least a hundred rounds of FMJ ammo through it to check it's reliability.

There should be no failure to feed or failure to eject before I would trust it for CCW.

I have a Diamondback .380 I use as a BUG and I carry Speer Gold Dot HP or Speer Lawman FMJ.

photo.jpg

nice --- listen to this cat ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    Nice gun!

I have a LCP .. very easy to carry. Yesterday I went out to dinner with the family and it was in my back pocket (had not finished cleaning my Glock26 yet)..prints like a wallet.

I pocket carry a sig 238, had a kt p380, and a lcp before. the sig shoots much better then both and is jus a few ounces heavier.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
    "Anyone worth shooting, is probably worth shooting several times."

Thise are a great little gun but I sold mine in a moment of weakness. I would probably buy it in 32 NAA though. Just for something different. Congrats.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    Congrats on the new gun.

photo.jpg
    What this Gent said.... I'll add that if the NAA isn't rated for the +p from BB, opt for the standard pressure flat nosed FMJs from BB and you'll get a good bit better FPE and a straighter wound path on average, at least that's the general feedback from what I've researched. It's true that the .380 is what's generally considered the least affective of the main carry calibers, but what's more often than not missing from that statement is, ( as is with most any caliber, one or two where it really counts works and has been working since 1908).

Oh yeah, and congrats on the new pistol....
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

GM
    Very nice! Congrats and enjoy
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Nice gun congrats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've yet to see the .380 JHP that will meet the FBI desired 15 inches of penetration. Most will barely make the minimum of 12 inches, if that.

Get thee some standard pressure FMJ, preferably with a flat nose. These get 16-17 inches. There is no reason to beat up the gun (and yourself) with "+P" in .380, for which there is no SAAMI spec - so you don't know what you are getting.

Some testing - GoldenLoki.com
    BugDude likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Congrats on the new pistol! I am anxious to read the range report when you take it out and shoot it.
    .357 mag, When you care enough to send the very best!

Congrats on your new gun!

I use a Desantis Nemesis for my TCP738. It stays in the pocket when you draw from it.

I am currently using Cor-Bon 90 grain JHP ammo. I've also used Speer Gold Dot and liked it also. Both functioned perfectly. Buffalo Bore makes a flat nosed solid ammo that I've heard is excellent. I will be trying some of that as penetration of that ammo is supposed to be better than the hollow points.
    Question Everything!

Congrats on the new piece, looks nice. The .380s are handy as heck. I'd run a hundred or two through it before carrying, and then I'd carry standard pressure FMJ flat nose. I personally would not carry hollow points in a .380, but that's just my opinion...it an .75 cents will get you a senior coffee at Hardees. My hands are just too large and thick for the smal .380s. I picked up a Taurus PT709 and that's about as small an auto as I can shoot given the size of my hands.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links