Need help with choices on 1911 purchase

This is a discussion on Need help with choices on 1911 purchase within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been contemplating the purchase of a 1911 for some time now. After reading some of Tangle's posts on the 1911, I started to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Need help with choices on 1911 purchase

Need help with choices on 1911 purchase

I have been contemplating the purchase of a 1911 for some time now. After reading some of Tangle's posts on the 1911, I started to question the relevance of buying only a top tier type. I have owned many, and have had a love hate relationship with them for years. But, they keep calling my name.

The truth of the matter is, I know very little about the gun.

My expertise, per se is very limited to the things I have personally done. If you want to talk about killing animals with what bullet, revolvers, lever guns , reloading, 10mm, ect I have a pretty good working knowledge to draw from.
    In these things I have dedicated extreme parts of my life to study and experimenting to the point of fanatical behavior.

As for the 1911 and AR platform, even though I have been well schooled in shooting them, I never really got into the nuts and bolts of them. I guess what I'm saying is that I never became that interested in learning anything beyond field stripping and maintenance.

So, here's what I need help with. I looked at an Auto Ord 1911 today. It was a WW2 model and 100th anv addition. Everything is just the way I like it. Plain and simple. It has the older style sights, of which are ok, but I prefer the larger ones of the 3 dot variety, butthey will do. The price is about 530$. Auto Ord is now owned by Kahr and has been for sometime.
    The reason it appeals to me is because Auto Ord actually made them for the Army back during the war. It's made in America, and appears to be well made. Also, the price is more in line with my current Budget.

The Colt on the other hand, is about 300$ more, and has the higher sights.

Does anyone know how good the Auto Ord is? Is it worth the money? Anything I need to know about?

If it's not the Auto Ord, it will be a Colt. No offense, but I have ruled out ATI, Springfield, and others. Any help would be appriciated, as I need to get educated on 1911s beyond just shooting them.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

2. Remove Ads

Do not know a lot about Auto Ordinance but I would offer one thought, that opinions of the quality of their 1911 might need to be looked at based on what they were in the past as well as how Kahr has now influenced them. My guess is they were decent guns as AO has been making .45 guns for a long time. They have the Tommy gun down. I would also venture to think that Kahr might actually offer even greater reliability and quality to the guns as they make a very decent gun themselves and appear to have some decent quality control. JMO.

I have also just finished reading many of Tango's post and the others as well. Great stuff, a little confusing for me as I am not an expert but non the less it is obvious there are many here who just really know their stuff and are hugely passionate.

I have shot 1911's for 25 years and I have not had any need to upgrade parts nor have I had quality issues or general concerns. I also do not use mine in combat and stake my life on it 5-6 times per day. My only thought has been buy from a reputable company, in my case mostly Springfield and Dan Wesson in the early days, and ensure they have great C/S in case the day ever comes something does fail. Like I said to date not one 1911 I own has failed or had an issue. So as long as it does not show up on the internet with red flags I think for the price you will enjoy the 1911 platform once again and should not see reliability concerns.
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

Administrator
    I would buy a used, finish worn, dinged up, Plain-Jane, no frills Colt Factory Colt 1911
    from a reputable dealer over a spanky "new in box" Auto Ordnance any day.
    Cuda66 and C hawk Glock like this.

I had an auto ordinance. It was a nice gun. The only reason I sold it was for a springfield loaded. Wanted nightsights and a beavertail.

Just get some nicer magazines and your good. If you want a GI model I think you could do well with it.
    Last edited by zeppelin03; July 9th, 2011 at 10:09 PM.

Cool

When you say Colt you are talking about one of these right........

http://ezine.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=29
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

VIP Member
    I had an Auto Ord 1911 many years ago. I never had any problems with it. I do know that between the time when I bought mine (late 80's, early 90's) and Kahr purchasing them, they received a bad reputation for declining quality. Fit and finish on the Colt will be much better than on the AO gun. Personally I'd either go with a used Colt or save the money to buy a new one. Whichever you buy, invest in either Chip McCormick or Wilson magazines.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

JD
    Administrator
    Auto Ordnance did not make 1911s during any war...or for the Military in general.

Administrator
    One that I saw in brand new/unfired condition sported a slide loaded with chatter marks, the barrel looked terrible, & the front leg of the ejector was broken off in the frame.
    The "in shop" gunsmith was the person that showed it to me.

Possibly they are better now than they were then.

JD
    Administrator
    If you want a plain Jane 1911, go Colt series 70 repro or for less a Springfield MILSPEC or even one of the new Remington R1s.

Judging from past conversations, I think that you would find yourself pining for the Colt, if you got anything less.

Additionally, if you decided that you wanted to sell it, the Colt has a better market and resale value.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

GM
    I have never owned or shot an Auto Ordnance 1911, but since they are very good looking firearms and the price is not bad at all I was considering getting one. However, almost everything I read about them were negative things, and for that reason I did not get one. The Colt might be $300 more expensive, but IMO it is worth the money. If I wanted it "plain and simple" – which I like – I should definitely get a Colt Series 70 reproduction.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

JD
    Administrator
    Glockman,

Given your love of the 10mm, why not get a current production Delta Elite?

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Auto Ordnance did not make 1911s during any war...or for the Military in general.
    Correct a mundo.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

OD*
    I have now, and have had in the past, what many refer to as high end 1911s, I have owned low end 1911s in the past, and if I were going to buy a brand new 1911 today it would be a Colt stainless steel Series 70 reproduction.
    C hawk Glock and JD like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Thanks for the input guys. All who responded so far are high on my respect list, and are many of those I was hoping to get feedback from.

I think it will be that stainless Colt.

I am currently at the Ky Speedway hoping Kyle Busch wins this thing. :D So I will be monitoring to check for more input at the cautions.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links