Sad day for my ATI FX 45 TITAN SS 1911

This is a discussion on Sad day for my ATI FX 45 TITAN SS 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've had this awesome 1911 since February this year with no issues what so ever until now. I have fired over 900 rounds through this ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Sad day for my ATI FX 45 TITAN SS 1911

Unhappy Sad day for my ATI FX 45 TITAN SS 1911

I've had this awesome 1911 since February this year with no issues what so ever until now. I have fired over 900 rounds through this firearm. Today, I was firing stock, Federal 45 acp, from Walmart.

Firearm link
    Products

Barrel lug sheared off of the barrel. I sent ATI an email with pictures so I can start the process of sending it back to them, etc.

This has been my primary EDC. Now I am back to my G19. I hope the replacement process doesn't take too long.Photo1.jpgPhoto1(1).jpg
    Red-Leg

2. Remove Ads

GM
    I am so sorry to hear that. Hopefully they will take care of the problem. Please let us know what they say and how good or bad the CS is.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    ouch.

Wow. That failure after only 900? Hope they take care of you.
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by san antone rr View Post
    Wow. That failure after only 900? Hope they take care of you.
    Yup, that does not look good at all. It is a pity because they are good looking firearms and the price is not bad. Lets hope that they have a good CS and that the problem was only with that specific gun and not with all of them.

I did pick up on your "back to my G19" comment. I started by carrying a Kimber Ultra CDP II, and my wife an Ultra Aegis II. After a few FTFs and stovepipes, I had my ccw set up by a 1911 master pistolsmith. Yet, I eventually gave in to the Dark Side(tm), bought a G19, and stopped worrying about my EDC.

I am not a gun "hobbiest", and just need something that will go bang should I ever need it. I also just bought my first Harley (yeah, yeah, I know - middle-aged guy with first Harley...), and my concealed carry weapon will have to keep up with me in all kinds of conditions now. The Kimber is sure pretty sitting in the safe. The Glock rides along.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    many of us, me included poke fun at the glock...n
    but for an out-of-the-box gun; its one i would trust.

that said, there are a great many gun makers today and what they made last year, heck--even last month, may not be the same in all areas. thus quality and consistency is rather hit or miss.
    for many years i have taken my loops ( and other items) to the gun store. with the 6x or 10x i look at the frame and places of stress. many the time i have passed on a used, even a new, gun cause of indicators. some stress fractures are present under power in a great many used guns , irregardless of price; yet are not a reason to pass on the gun. a gap at the bbl link ( i have seen it a number of times--if there are no odd marks on the frame /slide contact area) sure means the gun needs a new bbl at the very least. but why did it happen?
    perhaps the gun was shot with a tired old slide spring, lots of hot ammo and not a strong enough spring. sometimes a 5 cent plastic slide shock absorber is all that was needed. some tines it was a bad weld at the factory. or the wrong size link was fit, too short--though the gun ran. it was not locking up right.
    with a newer bbl, check that the link is the proper length and for accuracy that the bushing ID/bbl's OD and its OD to frame are fitted.
    good luck.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

This is the very thing I feared when I ruled out the ATI and RIA from my 1911 choices. It's not that they are inherrently bad guns, but for a price that cheap, I couldn't help but wonder where the corners were cut to allow that. Now I know.

While the lower cost is great, it's my belief that sometimes it's better to save a little more and invest in a product with a company that has a history and a predictable quality.

In any event, sorry about that breakage, but I would have trusted the Glock over an ATI any day and twice on Sunday.
    First Sgt, msgt/ret and JD like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    This is the very thing I feared when I ruled out the ATI and RIA from my 1911 choices. It's not that they are inherrently bad guns, but for a price that cheap, I couldn't help but wonder where the corners were cut to allow that. Now I know.

While the lower cost is great, it's my belief that sometimes it's better to save a little more and invest in a product with a company that has a history and a predictable quality.

In any event, sorry about that breakage, but I would have trusted the Glock over an ATI any day and twice on Sunday.
    Unfortunately I think you are right; usually you get what you pay for. Low cost it great and that something is expensive does not necessarily imply that it is good, but my experience tells me that "cheap" can be very expensive.
    JD likes this.

Why on earth do the Glock lovers always contaminate threads reporting malfunctions of other manufacturers weapons. I don't own an ATI so I don't have a dog in this fight. I would never jump to any conclusions regarding ATI quality based on this failure. All manufacturers can and will have "duds" over time. If you don't believe that the almighty GLOCK can have problems, simply Google === Glock broke and see what pops up.

OP, I'd be willing to bet you are taken care of by the maker of that weapon. Thanks for posting.
    smolck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PilotAlso View Post
    Why on earth do the Glock lovers always contaminate threads reporting malfunctions of other manufacturers weapons.
    Six whole posts, and you're whinging about "Glock lovers" contaminating posts. I feel your pain.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PilotAlso View Post
    Why on earth do the Glock lovers always contaminate threads reporting malfunctions of other manufacturers weapons. I don't own an ATI so I don't have a dog in this fight. I would never jump to any conclusions regarding ATI quality based on this failure. All manufacturers can and will have "duds" over time. If you don't believe that the almighty GLOCK can have problems, simply Google === Glock broke and see what pops up.

OP, I'd be willing to bet you are taken care of by the maker of that weapon. Thanks for posting.
    It might be because the OP referred to the fact that he will be carrying a Glock until his pistol s fixed. If you can't see the line of thinking here I'll explain it a little better. The OP bought a low end 1911 and it broke. Now he carries a Glock because it's still working.

I'm guessing, but I'd bet that the OP's broken 1911 costs more than his working Glock. Now you may or may not like Glocks but there is some irony in this situation and people are bound to comment on it.
    shooterX, JD, DingBat and 1 others like this.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

When I first read this I thought it said "STI" and I didn't understand why you guys were saying it was a cheap 1911... Now I get it... ATI...

I was going to get a 1911 for my carry but opted for the G19.... I don't think it is a downgrade as the OP seemed to imply.

Good Luck with the repairs

Thumbs down Ati titan ss 45 1911

I purchased an ATI Titan SS 45 a few months ago from the Boise Gun Company thinking I would save a few bucks. I paid $600. A big mistake. To begin this pistold came in a clear plastic bag, without a case, only one magazine and no operating/maintenace manual. I had to flitz and use jewerls sandpaper to smooth out all of the CNC sharp edges. I was actually cut by a sharp edge while breaking the pistol down prior to doing that. I had to buff the feed ramp to get the pistol to feed HP ammo. Also the factory magazine was trash. I had many fail to feed issues until I swapped out to using one of my SF and Kimber mags. Also the grips are an odd color and made of a very soft wood. Already showing signs of wear. Wait until you try and remove the rod/spring. A real chore. The pistol does shoot nicely since I overcame the problems. A pistol smith will charge you hundreds to do what you can do yourself with a little instruction. Still needs grips and a proper mag. Don't waste your money. Buy a quality USA made gun. I just bought an EMP SF 9mm. Looks like a mini 1911. Perfect right out of the box. USA made right the first time. PI guns are cheap for a reason.

A guy I shoot steel with had the exact same thing happen to him on his STI .38 Super game gun - after about 30,000 rounds.

I guess ATI had to cut costs somewhere.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links