New SW442 trigger questions.

This is a discussion on New SW442 trigger questions. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently acquired a new 442 and I'm hoping to improve the trigger action. My questions are: 1) the S&W website says it's OK to ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SC Tiger

Thread: New SW442 trigger questions.

New SW442 trigger questions.

I recently acquired a new 442 and I'm hoping to improve the trigger action.

My questions are: 1) the S&W website says it's OK to dry fire but I am reluctant to do this hundreds of times. Will this action cause any damage? 2) What are some aftermarket resourses for trigger jobs on the 442 that may result in a smoother, lighter pull?

As always, thanks for your wisdom and advice!
    "We Dare Defend Our Rights", Alabama State Motto...

2. Remove Ads

You should be fine dry firing it all you want. If you want some piece of mind you could always pick up some snap caps to use while dry firing. As far as reducing the trigger pull, lighter rebound and mainspring can reduce the weight of pull but could induce light strikes/short stroking. Apex Tactical has released a J-frame kit with lighter springs and a new firing pin which is supposed to prevent light strikes while getting the trigger under 10 lbs, I've installed one in my 442 and it seems to do the trick.

I ordered a wolff shooter pack for mine and replaced the main aka hammer spring and the trigger return spring. While I had it apart, I removed the internal lock flag and polished the internal contact points. Great trigger improvement and very simple and easy to do yourself inexpensively. There are videos on youtube, I also posted a thread about it a while back you can search for.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Buy a case of ammo and learn to shoot it the way it is. The trigger will smooth out Also get some snap caps and dryfire a few thousand times remember to keep it lubed when dryfiring alot. If you take the time to learn to shoot it as is it will make you shoot your other guns better.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    I picked up a 442 about 6 mos. ago, it too had a stiff trigger pull. I dry fired and shot the hell out of it and it is smoothing out nicely. Greyguns just came out with a j-frame trigger package that you may want to look into. From what little I've read about it the action job is crisp. I'll try to find a price and post it later.

The 442 is notorious for stiff trigger. It's a 14 pound safety. I've dry fired mine at least 3000 times (live fire maybe 200), and it's improved maybe 20%. I always figure if I have to use it in self-defense, trigger pull will be the last thing I notice. I can't really say it's my favorite gun, but it serves it's purpose at times. It lives in the potted plant by the front door:)

VIP Member
    my 642 had really stiff trigger and seems to have smoothed out a bit
    I've put around 500 rounds through it, done lots of dry firing and I'm used to the trigger
    I also know that if I'm going to it (its my backup strapped to the vest) I most likely won't be engaging targets beyond 15ft
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Dry fire it as much as you like and don't worry about it. Firing it does the same thing as dry firing, only with the addition of 20,000 psi of pressure stresses added to it. Dry firing won't wear the gun out.

A good gunsmith should charge about $50 or so for a trigger job including changing (NOT cutting) springs. If you are familiar with the design, you can probably manage to change the stock springs with Wolff springs yourself. That would help the weight, but any smoothing you want to do yourself depends on your confidence level with the design. Don't just dive in with your Dremel tool.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Dry fire it until your fingers fall off. Reattach and repeat. Use snap caps if you feel you need to.

I'm not a fan of trigger jobs on guns with less than 500 rounds through them. Give the gun a chance to break in first.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Mine smoothed out after a lot of dry firing and shooting. I am not one who likes to mess around too much with altering firearms. That don't not mean I won't change a spring or polish a feed ramp or polish here and there though. A lot of shooting will make a significant difference without changing anything on the 442, 642, 637 etc.

BTW, that is a darn nice pistol.

Smith & Wesson revolvers wear in rather than wear out. I too am no fan of action jobs. I like SC Tiger's advice.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

don't think dry firing will hurt your 442,but i woukd get some snap caps to be safe..trigger will smooth out nicely..

cj
    Mine had a 14 or 15 pound pull new. I swapped out the spring with a Wolff which dropped it into the reasonable range (it's not ultra-light, but at least it's possible to pull it without moving quite so much) and dry fired the heck out of it to get it to a reasonable level.

Dry fire... But eventually, put a drop of oil or two to work. I like Hoppes Eilite gun oil, as it seems to stick around longer than rem oil, and runs faster than Militec-1.

Pull off the grip, and put a drop of oil on the metal bar above the hammer spring. (The hammer spring strut) To do this, pull the trigger far enough to have the strut come out from the frame.

Turn the gun barrel down, and wait a few seconds for the oil to get onto the hammer.

Now turn the gun upside down with the barrel pointed away from you. Pull the trigger back enough to show a crack in front and put a drop or two down the crack. Let the oil run down the trigger.

Make sure that the cylinder rotates easily, with a drop at the face

Now dry fire a bunch of times, and wipe up any excess that comes back out before you put the grip back on.

Should smooth things out a bunch...

Links