STI TROJAN 9mm- any 1st hand info?

This is a discussion on STI TROJAN 9mm- any 1st hand info? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone have any 1st hand knowledge / experience with a STI Trojan 9mm? I have been looking to get a Hard chrome one with ...

Does anyone have any 1st hand knowledge / experience with a STI Trojan 9mm? I have been looking to get a Hard chrome one with a Dawson front sight for my IDPA ESP gun. I have no experience with STI and no one local has any with the 9mm. How do they compare to the S&W, SA, Kimber, etc. Any issues? Any great points?
    I would appreciate your feedback/input.
    Thanks
    Paul
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Looks like this is not a popular firearm!
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Administrator
    I dont have first hand experience exactly, but a good pal and shooting buddy of mine has a few STI's in 9mm and raves about them. I do trust and value his opinions, especially on guns. They have a full line up from low to high end guns, and I personally think they make a real nice pistol dollar for dollar.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I dont have first hand experience exactly, but a good pal and shooting buddy of mine has a few STI's in 9mm and raves about them. I do trust and value his opinions, especially on guns. They have a full line up from low to high end guns, and I personally think they make a real nice pistol dollar for dollar.
    Thanks for the feed back. I have a couple 9mm 1911's that work but have had a few that didn't. Just trying to move the odds in my favor before buying.

I have an STI Trojan in .45, which I've used for IDPA CDP class. I love the gun as it is now, with some new internals and a Dawson fiber optic front sight. However, when I got it, the extractor broke at about round number 60, and the factory magazine wouldn't feed at all. I threw the offending parts in the trash and replaced them with Wilson parts. This was not a new or particularly surprising experience. STI makes awesome frames, slides and barrels. The internals often seem to be a different story. I've often thought of getting one of the 9x19 models, and may yet. I don't have a good gun for ESP, since I gave mine to my son.

My Trojan .45 is one of my most accurate 1911-types, and has held the wonderful trigger pull I put in it for a few thousand rounds now. (The factory trigger pull was not too bad, but I tend to be a "trigger snob.") It feeds flawlessly with Wilson or McCormick magazines, and the overall fit of the frame, slide and barrel is excellent.

I'd say go for it, but don't be too surprised if you have to replace the mag and/or some internal parts.

Sounds like a "safe" firearm...
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Do a little more Google searching. STIs, in general, are outstanding firearms and tons of folks in the competition world can attest to that. On the other hand...I have looked on and off at the Trojan 9mm and there are some reviews out there from folks who seem to have gotten real lemons in that model. I can't tell whether that's just a few squeaky wheels, or more of an actual issue with that particular gun. One guy at my IDPA club had a Trojan that went back to STI a couple of times and I think he ended up selling it rather than keep trying to get it to run.

I am torn on that gun---it's the STI name at a great price and would seem to make a great ESP gun, but I haven't been able to talk myself into it yet...

I think it is not a tremendously popular firearm because STI makes its name in the USPSA/IPSC world, and the people in that sport who shoot 9mm are generally shooting Open guns in 9mm major power---meaning they are shooting the higher-end STIs with a lot of custom work. The Trojan is clearly aimed more at IDPA/ESP, and I just don't think there are anywhere near as many STI shooters in IDPA...at least not yet.

That is why I can't make up my mind on the Trojan; a couple of bad reviews yes, but not many reviews total against which to balance the complaints.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Links