Break in or Lubrication?

This is a discussion on Break in or Lubrication? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got a new Kimber Ultra CDP II a couple months ago. I read that the factory requires a 500 round break in. I also ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By ICTsnub

Thread: Break in or Lubrication?

Break in or Lubrication?

I got a new Kimber Ultra CDP II a couple months ago. I read that the factory requires a 500 round break in. I also read that that factory magazine sucks, so I bought two well know magazines and went out to shoot after cleaning and lube with CLP. I ran through 220 rounds of ball ammo, lead round nose reloads and JHP rounds. I had FTP's on just about every 15 rounds regardless of magazine. I went home and thoroughly cleaned and oiled with CLP. Went out again with 150 rounds with the same failure rate.

I then bought 2 Wilson Combat mags. I also cleaned and lubed with, new for me, Gunzilla.
    I took all five magazines out to the range and mixed the rounds in every magazine. Some of each kind I had in each magazine. I fired 110 round and did not have a single FTP.

I am now kind of stumped. Did I succeed in the "break in" as suggested by Kimber or did using a lighter weight lubrication succeed in allow a better functioning firearm?? I understand the 3inch barrel has some challenges that the larger ones don't have.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Doc
    "...and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one." Luke 22:36 King James Version

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by doctordun View Post
    I got a new Kimber Ultra CDP II a couple months ago. I read that the factory requires a 500 round break in. I also read that that factory magazine sucks, so I bought two well know magazines and went out to shoot after cleaning and lube with CLP. I ran through 220 rounds of ball ammo, lead round nose reloads and JHP rounds. I had FTP's on just about every 15 rounds regardless of magazine. I went home and thoroughly cleaned and oiled with CLP. Went out again with 150 rounds with the same failure rate.

I then bought 2 Wilson Combat mags. I also cleaned and lubed with, new for me, Gunzilla.
    I took all five magazines out to the range and mixed the rounds in every magazine. Some of each kind I had in each magazine. I fired 110 round and did not have a single FTP.

I am now kind of stumped. Did I succeed in the "break in" as suggested by Kimber or did using a lighter weight lubrication succeed in allow a better functioning firearm?? I understand the 3inch barrel has some challenges that the larger ones don't have.

Doc
    I found with the three Kimbers I owned over the years that they did not like grease. They ran far better with a light oil just as you are describing. Try the light oil again with the wilson mags and I bet she runs well.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

VIP Member
    What is a FTP?
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Failure to pow.
    JD and glockman10mm like this.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

Quote Originally Posted by doctordun View Post
    I got a new Kimber Ultra CDP II...factory requires a 500 round break in...factory magazine sucks...I had FTP's on just about every 15 rounds...150 rounds with the same failure rate.

Doc
    I have a thought...invest in a good revolver. They rock.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by ICTsnub View Post
    Failure to pow.
    Well that's a new one!

I'd say the thicker lube was the problem. 1911's, and Kimber's in particular, are tightly fitted, so I'd wager that was the issue. Stick with lighter weight oil and see how it works. I use gunslick on my 3" 1911 and it works great.

Quote Originally Posted by ICTsnub View Post
    Failure to pow.
    haha.. I just about fell out of my chair when I read that... I was wondering what FTP meant also (beyond File Transfer Protocol)

My bad typing. It should have been FTF - Failure to Feed.
    Glad everyone enjoyed my typo.
    Thanks for the replies.

Doc
    "...and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one." Luke 22:36 King James Version

I bought a GLOCK and shot and shot and shot and shot and shot,no break in,no lube,just shooting!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    If CLP is too thick for a Kimber, something's wrong. Hardly what I would consider molasses.

Glocks aren't snobby about what cleaner or lube one uses (nor do they even care). They just keep going and going and. . .
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I own two Glocks as well. I just wanted a 1911 in my collection, since I've never had one. I fell in love with the looks of the Kimber Ultra CDP II and saved a long time to get it.

I change carry pistols depending on my clothing for the day. My Glock 27 gets more carry time than any other.

Doc
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    If CLP is too thick for a Kimber, something's wrong. Hardly what I would consider molasses.

Glocks aren't snobby about what cleaner or lube one uses (nor do they even care). They just keep going and going and. . .

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post

Yes, Glocks don't even need lube. My Dad has a Glock that hasn't been cleaned in over 10 years and it still shoots fine. Even so, there's just something about shooting a big black brick that makes it a lot less fun. 1911's might be a little finicky sometimes, but boy are they fun to shoot.

BTW, I went with a much cheaper ($500) High Standard Crusader Compact for my 1911, and it's unbelievably reliable. No break-in necessary. It's just as reliable, and more accurate than any Glock I've shot.

Links