Sig Sauer 1911

Sig Sauer 1911

This is a discussion on Sig Sauer 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Like my friend says..."you cant go wrong with Sig". I am researching a possible 1911 purchase. I want a Government length with a 5" barrel. ...

Thread: Sig Sauer 1911

Sig Sauer 1911

Like my friend says..."you cant go wrong with Sig". I am researching a possible 1911 purchase. I want a Government length with a 5" barrel. I have looked at all the midgrade non customs like Kimber, Colt, Smith and Wesson, and Ruger. I also have looked at the Sig 1911 lineup. They have a slightly more blocky look to them than a "traditional" 1911. But I would be willing to consider them.

Do they fit "regular 1911" holsters, and who has handled owned or shot one? What are the differences and similarities to theses and a normal 1911? Fill me in?
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I really like the XO and the Blackwater models of the Sig 1911. Nice Weapons!
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    Like my friend says..."you cant go wrong with Sig". I am researching a possible 1911 purchase. I want a Government length with a 5" barrel. I have looked at all the midgrade non customs like Kimber, Colt, Smith and Wesson, and Ruger. I also have looked at the Sig 1911 lineup. They have a slightly more blocky look to them than a "traditional" 1911. But I would be willing to consider them.

Do they fit "regular 1911" holsters, and who has handled owned or shot one? What are the differences and similarities to theses and a normal 1911? Fill me in?
    If you look at the Sig catalog, you'll see they also have new 2011 models that have the proper 1911 profile slide. Pending on exact holster there may be holster fit issues. Best to check with the holster maker on a holster by holster basis.

As for the guns, Sig got off to a rough start with them, then got them straightened out, but now is having some QC issues (reportedly across the board) they used to be advertised as no MIM but I don't think that's the case any more. I rented a couple of different models and one thing that stands out is that the bottom edge of the mainspring housing is damn sharp compared to others. I think Lima got to check out a RCS a while back and liked it. Had I ever been able to find one in person, I probably would have bought a Sig Carry Nitron.

I know there's a couple of guys here that have them and liked them....

Even given my issues with my 238, I'd be wiling to give the Sig 1911s a try.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    I really like the XO and the Blackwater models of the Sig 1911. Nice Weapons!
    The Blackwater is no more, it's now the "Sig 1911 Tac Ops" if I'm not mistaken.

Can't say I've shot a full-size Sig 1911, but I thoroughly enjoy shooting my Sig C3. 650+ rounds through with no issues other than one fail to lock back on last round shooting some blazer aluminum cased ammo. All wwb, federal, reloads, etc function great. I don't mind the slide's appearance but some 1911 purists do. But, for $800 I couldn't find a better looking or handling compact 1911 with night sights and front stra checkering. Very pleased...

As far as holsters, I just received a crossbreed supertuck. IIRC I ordered it as a colt commander and specified that it was a Sig C3 in the remarks. Fits great, carrys well and conceals better than I ever imagined a 1911 would..

VIP Member
    I can really understand if you just flat out love Sigs (the classics are great), but there are better 1911's in my book. Get a Colt and be done with it.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

That is my general consensus C hawk, but I have always been willing to look at soemthing different. I lovemy W. German P228, so Sig already has my attention and adoration, just didnt want to rule them out if they were decent.

@JD That is the kind of stuff I was looking for I will look at their 2011 catalog but the overall Q at Sig right now may cause me to question why not on a Kimber Colt Etc.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    If you look at the Sig catalog, you'll see they also have new 2011 models that have the proper 1911 profile slide.
    Those are not bad looking at all. I see they are still mislabeling the two-tones though.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

JD
    Administrator

@JD That is the kind of stuff I was looking for I will look at their 2011 catalog but the overall Q at Sig right now may cause me to question why not on a Kimber Colt Etc.
    Every 1911 maker does things a little different. The Sigs are (assuming proper QC) a very nicely packaged gun with some nice features. The main reason I wanted the Carry model is that it's one of the few non-Colts available in a steel framed / 4.25 bushing barrel configuration & well equipped forreasonable price. I've always found Colts to be in need of a dehorn and quite frankly, when I buy a gun the only thing I want to do to it is maybe change out the sights, a couple of other parts here and there pending on exactly what gun we're talking about, but for the most part I could get a Sig and leave it the heck alone. You probably know my feelings on Kimber, given Tangle's recent experiences with three guns I'm hoping they've gotten things turned around but change is a slow process and I'm not ready to renew my faith in them just yet.

Springfield, I'd be looking at changing out a main spring housing at the bare minimum as they have that retarded locking system in there and I wish they had something in between the Loaded and the TRP. Generally speaking, the 5" Loaded in stainless is my general recommendation for those looking for a good 1911 but they aren't the only one and of late they've been reported as being hard to find and even then you're still looking at a Brazilian frame/slide etc. while it doesn't bother me, it does bother some.

S&W? I've never gotten hands on one that didn't seem rough in some aspect, either safety engagement or overall fit & finish

Dan Wesson, I don't have any complains on the Wessons, had I not been so demanding on my build sheet, a Valor or Valor Bobtail would have been my latest 1911 but they just didn't have all the options I wanted. Take a good hard look at Dan Wesson

I would also highly suggest looking for used Les Baers, I've got a line on a used SRP (approx a $2500 gun when new) for $1500 that I'm trying to figure out how to snag. I was looking for a TRP when I found my used TRS for the same price as a new TRP and have been very, very happy with the Baer.

Your best bet for finding good, used 1911s is the for sale section @ M1911.org, I've seen some very good deals over there and that's the place to shop IMHO.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Those are not bad looking at all. I see they are still mislabeling the two-tones though.
    You're never going to let me live that down are you?

VIP Member
    That is my general consensus C hawk, but I have always been willing to look at soemthing different. I lovemy W. German P228, so Sig already has my attention and adoration, just didnt want to rule them out if they were decent.

I totally understand the need for something different. I also think the Sig 1911's look very cool, but I hate to think if you had issues. By the way the Dan Wesson's are very nice as JD posted!
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I have a Sig GSR RCS 4.25" 1911. It was made around 2006 and bought it new. I also have a Kimber CDP II Ultra Carry. My GSR does not fit a custom "fitted" holster. It does just fine is a less fitted holster such as a Bianchi CarryLoc. For an OWB that is a great choice for a GSR. I has a custom holster made for the IWB. The Kimber fits all common 1911 3" holsters. The GSR shoots very well, is heavy enough to reduce recoil yet light enough to carry easly. 1911 are very good carry weapons becasue they are thin. IMHO you can't go wrong with a GSR. I haven't had any QC problems, the fit and finish was great. It is alo very easy to field strip.For the price it is a great choice. I would possibly look at STI, Dan Wesson, Colt, Kimber, Wilson Combat, Springfield, and Caspian. You could also consider a custom built. It is superior to Taurus, low end Springfield, Para, and S&W in my opinion.

My two front runners based on looks and standard equipment, are the Kimber Tactical Entry, and the Colt Special Combat Government. I have looked at the Dan Wessons and they look solid overall, but maybe just above my price point. Truth be told I would really like something like a Baer or Wilson, but are definitely above my price point right now. I may go to the LGS and handle some and see which I like the looks and feel of.

The Blackwater is no more, it's now the "Sig 1911 Tac Ops" if I'm not mistaken.
    I think you are correct there. Thank you.

Re: your statement about the MSH being rather sharp, I noticed that too... Seemed like a real meat-grinder
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

OD*
    You're never going to let me live that down are you?
    You're becoming so knowledgeable on the 1911 platform, I'll have nothing else to tease you about.

You weren't really wrong anyway, you had just went with what SS called their two-tones.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Links