Regarding my TRP extractor failure, etc., in fairness to SA, here's an update - Page 2

Regarding my TRP extractor failure, etc., in fairness to SA, here's an update

This is a discussion on Regarding my TRP extractor failure, etc., in fairness to SA, here's an update within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by 357and40 I second the thanks for separation of paragraphs. Thanks! Originally Posted by 357and40 ...I think when you drop over a grand ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Regarding my TRP extractor failure, etc., in fairness to SA, here's an update

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    I second the thanks for separation of paragraphs.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    ...I think when you drop over a grand there is a certain expectation that this item will rise a notch above the mass production items. I think that is part of why we get a bit more passionate when the extractor on a TRP goes balls-up there tends to be heated discussion.
    Exactly right! You couldn't be any righter! (new paragraph)

Now I've been informed, that I have my optimism too high on the quality of the repair the repair shop does. This comes from a man that has had experience with them. But I am optimistic (maybe wishful thinking) that it will come back the way a $1400 gun should.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Sometimes when parts fail it is because they were used heavily,There is a lot of force involved in the firing of a gun,repeatedly battering metal against metal sometimes brass against steel,and yet we expect the parts to last forever,which as far as the average gun owner it will,but a shootist will put more rounds thru a gun in a couple of months than the average guy will in his lifetime.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Some people can't handle change.

If the original designs were made of forged steel, tool steel parts and/or bar stock parts, that may explain the sandspur in some peoples panties.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Did you know that the Springfield Professional model, the one that went through some very demanding tests before the FBI selected it, uses a MIM slide stop?
    There's good MIM and bad MIM.

Tango, you are absolutely right about people passing on internet babble and rumor without substantiated information.

Having said that, I'll pass on a little more "rumor". :)

From what I have read, MIM parts can be very good quality, if proper manufacturing processes are used. If not, they can be sub-standard. I have used Wilson Combat MIM parts, and can only say my experience has been very good. They are not, however, the cheapest parts available, priced somewhere in the mid-range.

I suppose forged parts leave a little less room for error. The "smaller" shops tout forged only. Of course, that may be because they do not have the manufacturing cabability to do MIM, I don't know. Although it is not MIM, Ruger has been using investment casting for years. Not too many folks would accuse Rugers of being "flimsy" and "brittle". (Ugly maybe, but not flimsy!) The point here, is that Ruger does it right. If Jennings or someone tried the same process, you might get junk.

Some say Rugers are built like a tank, and say they are stronger than S&W. Others say they have to build them that way due to using cast frames. Some say S&W is just as strong and don't need to be big and as heavy because they use forged steel frames.

Who knows the truth? I personally would prefer forged, but I have never blown up a Ruger....yet.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I think a few folks here hit on a valid concept. Quality out of one type of metal may well be in who is making it. Devilsclaw's analogy comparing Ruger to Jennings potential with the same item is pretty dead on at least in theory, if not in practice.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    Ok, my rant.

I hear and hear and hear bar stock is better, tool steel is better, MIM will crumble, cast will break, but there never is any proof or data to back these claims. All you ever get is "so and so said", but so and so has no significant verifiable data, "I know of..." and then preceeds to talk about a few cases they heard about that happened years ago that is suppose to proof something.

Kimber Pro Carry, the lowest cost gun Kimber makes, with a good ol' 7075 T7 Aluminum frame. And let's not forget the MIM parts.

Cast and MIM may have gotten a black eye during the days of development of the processes. But both of these processes are refined and mature today. Even at MIM's worst, we don't have failure rate data. We really don't have much of anything that is reliable.

Until we see verifiable data - like it or not, this is nothing more than talk about isolated cases that may not even be accurate or even true in many cases.

Ok, rant off, thanks for your indulgence.
    How about happened within the last couple of months?

If you want to see recent failures click the links below:

3 day old RIA broken. - 1911Forum

Broken Barrel Bushing - 1911Forum

Broken thumb safety - 1911Forum (A brand that has been heavily defended )

Broken Ambi-Safety - 1911Forum (Oh no, it's that same brand again)

Those threads all had pictures (data we can see) I did not link several others that were only descriptive.

No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

Senior Moderator
    BTW, Kimber extractors are NOT MIM. They are machined from tool steel bar stock.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    BTW, Kimber extractors are NOT MIM. They are machined from tool steel bar stock.
    That's good to know.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Senior Moderator
    Update:
    I shipped the TRP today via FedEx overnight on SA's dime. So now it's wait time. They say I have to wait 10 days just to get a status report. I hope it will be back in 10 days! I didn't want to rent the gun.

Any update on your TRP????

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links