New Gun

New Gun

This is a discussion on New Gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As many of you have read in a previous thread, I had a Colt Defender. I took it to one of the supposedly best Colt ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By 10thmtn
  • 1 Post By LongRider

Thread: New Gun

New Gun

As many of you have read in a previous thread, I had a Colt Defender. I took it to one of the supposedly best Colt gunsmiths in the state to have an
    Ambi-safety installed and a reliability job performed. I won't rehash all of the gory details, just suffice it to say nobody was happy with the outcome.
    The gun was NOT reliable. I took it to the range several weeks in a row and returned to the 'smith for FTF, FTE, ambi safety falling off etc etc. AFTER it had gone back to the 'smith 3 times, and over 500 rounds trying to get comfortable with it as an EDC. I was unable to do so.

Today I decided enough was enough after only being able to get 2 rounds downrange in 30 minutes of trying. I went home, cleaned the gun did a bit of
    research on prices and went a dealer I found on Gunbroker. I traded the Defender, and took a bath once I told him of the problems. I could not in good conscience sell a gun and not tell them of the issues.

The bright side? A brand new Kimber Ultra CDPII :) it is a beautiful looking gun and as soon as I get a chance (tomorrow) I'm going to try it out.

The down side? I am not going to be able to sleep tonite knowing I lost $1000 between the guns and the gunsmithing charges. any ideas? I'll post pics when the wife gets back with the camera.

Thanks for the advice in the previous threads! Stay safe out there!

Sounds like that gunsmith should write you a check. Otherwise, off to small claims court you go.
    gatech33 likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I agree with 10thmtn, the "well known" gunsmith should back up his work. I think you showed great restraint in not naming him, if I spent that kind of money on shoddy workmanship and then took a loss unloading his failed work on my pistol I would make sure people knew about him.

Yeah, I'd say he should back his work and if not he can read all about his sorry business practices in every online source available for review by others, not to mention the BBB.

OP, The kimber should do ya right, I have the Ultra Carry 2 and it's a excellent shooter. Enjoy the new Kimber and shoot the snot outa it.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by scout706 View Post
    I took it to one of the supposedly best Colt gunsmiths in the state
    Personally I think you should have taken action before you got rid of the gun. Now where is your evidence, proof? I think you probably closed a lot of doors by not having the gun. Next, who is this guy you say is supposedly best Colt gunsmiths in the state?
    Did you have problems with it prior to his work? Have you talked to Colt? If they recommended him I would take issue with that. Is he Colt certified or otherwise endorsed by Colt I would share your experience with them. Let them know as a result of his work you
    gatech33 likes this.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    I think you showed great restraint in not naming him,
    Makes no sense to me for the OP to protect someone who screwed him
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    I would make sure people knew about him.
    Exactly I would want to protect decent people from being screwed by the guy. Scout706 don't you think most here are decent people at least good enough to be warned about some incompetent dork that could mess up our guns?
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Sorry for you pain! The "fellow" that worked (damaged) your Colt should be held accountable.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

The OP doesn't indicate whether the gun worked before he took it to the smith. If it was like a couple of Defenders I've seen, the smith didn't hurt it any. A few years back, a fellow brought me a Defender that wouldn't run for him. Checking it out, I discovered that the holes for the sear pin and hammer pin weren't exactly where they should have been, and both were drilled at a slight angle. It had a couple other dimensional problems, as well. After some parts replacement, lots of bench time and trial and error, I got it running 100% with ball and told him to trade it off at his first opportunity. I've seen one other Defender with similar problems.

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    sorry it was such a bad ride, but getting to that new kimber in the end is pretty nice! congrats.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

To all,
    The Defender worked perfectly before I took it to him. I shot over 100 flawless rounds before taking it to him for the safety.
    While there he talked me into the reliability job. He was recommended to me by the gun store and several other shooters that I know.
    I have named him on this board in another thread. I am not protecting anyone at all. If you want to know who he is, PM me and I'll tell you.

I sold the gun and took a hit to move on. I could have taken him to court and maybe I would have won, but I also could have lost.
    I have a baby daughter due in a few weeks, and I wanted a gun now that I can count on then.
    I made the choice to cut my losses and move on. MY CHOICE.
    I did decide that a factory ambi safety was a must. That left 2 choices. SA and Kimber. Since I already own a Kimber Tactical Pro II and have had zero issues with it,
    that left 1 choice.
    Hell, I'd love to get my hands on it to carry it. I made the mistake of taking the wife to the range and let her shoot it. That's the last time I've seen it!
    So... I went to find a Tactical Pro II, and ran across the Ultra CDP II. I told him my sob story, and while there was not much he could do with the Defender,
    he did make me an excellent deal on the Kimber.

Thanks everyone!

Tom

Scout, I looked under your profile and found the post about the gun smith. Wow, that sucks man.

I nosed through that thread as well. I saw the "gunsmith's" bench. Three things jumped out at me:
    1) The whole thing was just cluttered up
    2) He had a phone and credit card machine on an already-cluttered bench
    3) On top of the bench was a can of WD-40. WD-40 is not something you want to use on a firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by SC Tiger View Post
    3) On top of the bench was a can of WD-40. WD-40 is not something you want to use on a firearm.
    Not necessarily true. I've used WD-40 on black powder guns for years. The "WD" stands for "water displacement," and it is great for use on BP guns after their bath in hot, soapy water. Also, a spritz of WD-40 on some 0000 steel wool is great for cleaning up the finish on a rusty, old gun that is not worth rebluing, or that one does not want to reblue because it would reduce its value. I keep a can on my bench.

Oh, I should mention, having the WD-40 on my bench doesn't make me lie to folks on whose guns I work, nor does it make me incompetent. Having looked at the other thread, it appears to me that the WD-40, or something else lurking on that "smith's" bench, must have had such an effect.

Sponsored Links