Fellow S&W Semi-Auto Fans - Need Help

This is a discussion on Fellow S&W Semi-Auto Fans - Need Help within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I need help choosing. I am a huge fan of the M&P line but also the SD line. I am looking at the SD9 and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Fellow S&W Semi-Auto Fans - Need Help

Fellow S&W Semi-Auto Fans - Need Help

I need help choosing. I am a huge fan of the M&P line but also the SD line. I am looking at the SD9 and SD40

Smith & Wesson - Compare Products

They are same same, same weight, and same price. The 40 has 2 less rounds but still plenty.

Main purpose: some possible carry time in winter, mostly range/target shooting, just to have another SW =)

My question.. save my money and get another M&P? Go with 9 or 40?

I am leaning toward SD9. I already have m&p9c and my primary carry and I really like the 9mm cartridge but don't have a single gun in 40 and would like one sometime as I have heard great things about the cartridge.

Thoughts?
    CCW- Smith & Wesson M&P 9mmC
    HD- EAA Witness P .45acp
    One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.
    Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

What good things about the .40? The greater cost, the less availability, the meaningless/minute amount of additional penetration over the 9? the greater amount of hand fatigue? greater recoil? slower follow up shots? the more amount of mechanical wear/malfunctions to .40 wapons?...sorry not trying to start something that hasnt already been covered by a thousand more intelligent engineers than I, but if it is range/target shooting, stay in same line you are in...go "full" size on the M&P 9...whatever you do, please try (rent) before you buy...
    Knightrider and MitchellCT like this.

I'd advise saving up for the M&P9 over the SD9.

AS for the 9mm v.40...go with 9mm. With a good, modern JHP there is minimal difference between what a .40 does and what a 9mm does.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

You know... for around $300, you can buy a complete .40 slide for your M&P from S&W... same gun except for the cartridge then. Having the same trigger is a big plus for me. And it would be cheaper than buying a whole new gun!

Yes tis true OperatorJ...but then you still only have "one" gun....theres no fun in that now is there...?

Quote Originally Posted by SGFvr View Post
    Yes tis true OperatorJ...but then you still only have "one" gun....theres no fun in that now is there...?
    Theres PLENTY of fun in that! You can change calibers in a matter of seconds at the range.. less to carry around instead of a whole nother gun. Plus, if you travel a lot... less weight is a big thing... and the more guns you carry, the more crazy looks you'll get from the ticketing agent. Admittedly, those are factors more for me than the OP, but they may apply to him as well. Plus, the cost factor is pretty big. New gun is going to be around $500+ (gun, mags, holster, etc). This way, you can technically have one gun, but choice of 3 calibers (you can buy a .357Sig barrel for the .40 slide - I've checked all the part numbers for the slides and they are EXACTLY the same - even called S&W and they verified). That's what I would do man. But I've also got the Apex Tactical Duty/Carry Action Enhancement Kit... so having 1 frame would keep my upgraded trigger. Lots of reasons in my book for this option, but thats just me

I'm an M&P fan. I handled an SD40 and I don't like the way it feels. Just feels cheaper...Crappy trigger too. I'll stick with M&P. As far as the caliber, whichever works for you. I'm a 40 fan. I can shoot accurately, with fast follow up shots. Practice, practice, practice!

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SGFvr View Post
    What good things about the .40? The greater cost, the less availability, the meaningless/minute amount of additional penetration over the 9? the greater amount of hand fatigue? greater recoil? slower follow up shots? the more amount of mechanical wear/malfunctions to .40 wapons?...sorry not trying to start something that hasn't already been covered by a thousand more intelligent engineers than I, but if it is range/target shooting, stay in same line you are in...go "full" size on the M&P 9...whatever you do, please try (rent) before you buy...
    same manufacture often offer the 9 or the 40 at the same price. though different packages ( nite sites added to one) can make it hard to compare 1-to-1.
    availability-if a police department in your area uses a 40, than it will be readily available to you also. and if you reload, it may or may not be a penny more per bullet.
    you can ( and we do ) discuss 9 vs 40 vs 45 all the time. and a case can be made for each in different ways. as the OP says its to be more a range gun, for IDPA and other games it will make major power factor. that is a big plus if you are scoring yourself vs just putting rounds down range.
    wear and tear---its designed for the cartrage----in that case argue that a 45 will fall apart faster than a 40 also.doesn't happen in the real world.
    slower follow up are a direct result of practice and the weight of the gun. a 40 may need more than a 9 cause of its recoil. a 45 may or may not. depends a alot on the weight vs the caliber.
    a guns lock time will ony be a factor if you are in the Expert class at IDPA. few of us are even aware of lock time.

and try before you buy is always good advice. how it feels under fire is what you are buying---not how it looks (BBQ guns excluded)

many guns made in 49 have after market bbl in 9mm that are drop in. some also offer the 357 SIG bbl also. so for another $100 or so, you can have another caliber.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

These aren't M&P, but they were my first pistols and literally have 10k rounds through them. My 410 is now sealed, canned and bunkered at an undisclosed location with 200 JHP's for a rainy day, and my 908 still makes it in the carry rotation when I need to tuck in my shirt.

VIP Member
    M&P
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I love my m&p 9c. I am definetly sold on the 9x19 caliber. I feel that no matter what shop/store I stop in, they will have more than one choice of 9.

SO we have it cleared that 9mm is the way to go for my needs.

Now, anyone for the pro's and con's of the SD. I have yet to shoot/handle and SD but have quite a bit of experience with the M&P lines. I absolutely love the look of the SD but the M&P isn't bad itself.

I definetly want ''full size'' in 9mm
    CCW- Smith & Wesson M&P 9mmC
    HD- EAA Witness P .45acp
    One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by younggun View Post
    I love my m&p 9c. I am definetly sold on the 9x19 caliber. I feel that no matter what shop/store I stop in, they will have more than one choice of 9.

SO we have it cleared that 9mm is the way to go for my needs.

Now, anyone for the pro's and con's of the SD. I have yet to shoot/handle and SD but have quite a bit of experience with the M&P lines. I absolutely love the look of the SD but the M&P isn't bad itself.

I definetly want ''full size'' in 9mm
    In that case, I would vote for a FS M&P 9 then. I've handled, but not fired, the SD9/40 and wasn't really impressed. It felt kinda cheap compared to the M&P models. That is NOT a reflection of its build quality, just my impression from merely holding the gun. M&P is much more ergonomic in my hand, even not considering the changeable backstraps.

J

Do what I did... Get an M&P 40c, get a 357 sig barrel for it. You now can shoot two calibers through one weapon by only changing a barrel. If you like 9, get another 9. Personally, I like the 357and40.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

I have a M&P 9c & a Sigma, That being said the sigma 9 made me a better shooter with the M&P9c & the M&P is my EDC.

Now the SD 9 is a Crossbreed of the 2 guns with the SD having a harder trigger pull than the S&W M&P, My guess is they S&W came out with the SD because of the bad rap the early Sigmas got, They (S&W) can price em in between ; ) PS Good luck with either choice, As my Sigma is a good gun for the $$ with no problems. I see the SD is also a good gun For a $100
    more the M&P is the cream of the crop JMO ;)
    H/D
    Last edited by hogdaddy; July 12th, 2011 at 09:10 PM.
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    I own and EDC a M&P 40c. Whether you decide on 9mm or .40 cal will/should come down to your own personal preference. I wouldn't try to sway you either way. Oh btw, did I mention that I "LOVE" my .40c, and so does everyone else who I've let take it for a ride?

Here is a S&W M&P forum that's full of, mostly good, biased and unbiased info.: Smith & Wesson M&P Pistols

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links