Once again- how little we know- Kimber extractors are machined bar stock, tool steel!

Once again- how little we know- Kimber extractors are machined bar stock, tool steel!

This is a discussion on Once again- how little we know- Kimber extractors are machined bar stock, tool steel! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just talked to Jay at Kimber and asked if my MIM extractor was anything to worry about. He said, "Our extractors are not MIM, ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Tangle
  • 1 Post By bmcgilvray

Thread: Once again- how little we know- Kimber extractors are machined bar stock, tool steel!

Senior Moderator

I just talked to Jay at Kimber and asked if my MIM extractor was anything to worry about. He said, "Our extractors are not MIM, MIM doesn't have spring properties. Our extractors are machined from tool steel bar stock."

Well, well, well another Mimber myth bites the dust.

Do I need to say how much I'm enjoying all this myth-busting enlightenment! :tomgue:
    OD* likes this.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Makes sense about the 1911 needing machined extractors.

I meant to respond to your other fun thread but never did. It is apparent that some MIM is first rate. I'm an old foggy however and choose to avoid MIM in any shape or form. There's not any real basis for choosing to avoid MIM parts as it is obvious that such parts can serve over the long haul. I believe I can live out the remainder of my life enjoying guns without MIM parts though.

I'm still mad at Smith & Wesson for going to MIM on their action parts in their revolvers.
    OD* likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Makes sense about the 1911 needing machined extractors.

I meant to respond to your other fun thread but never did. It is apparent that some MIM is first rate. I'm an old foggy however and choose to avoid MIM in any shape or form. There's not any real basis for choosing to avoid MIM parts as it is obvious that such parts can serve over the long haul. I believe I can live out the remainder of my life enjoying guns without MIM parts though.

I'm still mad at Smith & Wesson for going to MIM on their action parts in their revolvers.
    It's funny - I've been takin' up for Kimber because I wasn't reading/hearing about failures with their "MIM" extractors. So in reality I wasn't defending MIM extractors at all. But I was defending Kimber, and still am.

You know I really appreciate you posting that and I respect your position and opinion fully. That was a very honest candid post.

And really, that's the way it should be. There's nothing wrong at all with personal preferences we all have them. It's only when those personal preferences are accompanied by unsupported claims that they begin to become, hmmm, irritating.

I wonder how many have automatically replaced stock Kimber 'MIM' extractors (internal, external extractors are MIM) with tool steel ones!

Again, thanks for such a candid logical post.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    But I was defending Kimber, and still am.
    You make it very difficult to be your friend, Tangle.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Sponsored Links