My Kel Tec saga, Start to Finish (with pics!)

This is a discussion on My Kel Tec saga, Start to Finish (with pics!) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, I have posted parts of this story on other threads but for the sake of my personal sanity and the benefit of others here ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: My Kel Tec saga, Start to Finish (with pics!)

So, I have posted parts of this story on other threads but for the sake of my personal sanity and the benefit of others here I thought I would write out a quick blurb about what I went through.

Around May of 2011 I was talking with my wife and had decided to get a smaller handgun due to my job (Valet Attendant). I had to run alot and wanted something smaller and lighter than my G19 that wouldn't bounce as much. Because of my recent move from a high paying job to a low paying job we were tight on the budget so I opted for the Kel Tec PF9, Blued.
    My mother showed interest in getting my dad one for Fathers day so when I got mine I picked on up for him as well.

My CHL instructor highly recommended the Kangaroo Carry system so i picked up one of those as well. (pic from a forum member!)

The next day I suited up with my newly broken in PF9 and my K Holster. Went to work and sweated my but off running about 3 miles. Came home about 12am and pulled my weapon from my holster and:

I couldn't believe it. One day, actually, 5 hours and the slide was rusted. I gently cleaned it with very fine steel wool and gun oil:

The next day I wiped it down with oil before leaving for work for the evening. Came home that night and the slide looked identical to the night before; Rusted.
    I called Kel Tec and they willingly replaced the slide and I was happy to receive it only about a week after I sent the rusted one.
    This time, I was not taking any chances. I oiled up the new slide and went to work. That night, to my utter disbelief and disappointment the slide was completely rusted, twice as bad as the previous slide. (I can't find my picture of that one....)
    I talked with Kel Tec and they were very nice but we decided that sending me another slide was obviously not going to work. I was hoping they would parkerize it for free but that was hoping for a little much. They offered to do it for $60 bucks. What choice did I have at that point?!?
    I just got it back today and it looks very nice. I am going to get a underarmour type shirt to help with the sweat and I will let you know how it goes.
    IMAG0051.jpg

NOW THE FUN PART!

While my PF9 was in the shop I have been uncomfortably making due with my G19 in the K Holster. When I remove the gun after my 5-7 hours of sweating the slide if covered in sweat and I wipe it down every day. Well, Lookie lookie what I found the other day starting to form on my GLOCK SLIDE:
    IMAG0052.jpg

If you look at the end of the barrel there is a small spot too.

So, now I am starting to wonder if I am some sort of mutant. Maybe part Alien from the Alien Vs Predator movies (acid blood yeah!) I don't know exactly whats going on. I eat pretty well so I know diet is not making my sweat toxic.
    Anyway, this has been interesting and I have learned that blued guns and myself...we don't play nice at the playground. Also, Holsters that keep the gun at least a piece of leathers width away from my skin are my best bet.

Peace friends

VIP Member
    I'm thinking "alien mutant". j/k

I'm guessing that the tenifer on that Glock was chipped off prior to that rust spot appearing? There's also a mark on the end of the barrel that looks like the gun was dropped on concrete? Is there something in your daily activities that's beating up your guns?

No, and I definitely have not dropped my G19. Its less than a year old so I would remember. I wish that was it.... Maybe something else... The end of the barrel and slide stick out of the bottom of my CB supertuck, maybe it rubbed on something while I was wearing it....

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    mutant aside ( for now) but my P-11 parkerized was worn since the week they went on sale, IWB at 4 oclock off and on through out the year. always summer under my shirt and separated from my body by a white t-shirt. and winter under a coat. very humid both conditions.
    so, either my slide was done up long ago differently than yours
    or our sweat is different in ph-whatever
    of K-T ain't making them like they use to.

in their defense my p380 andp32 both are parkerized and have spent many years in pockets....so far no problem.

your pictures tell a story--honest, I'm just not knowing what the underlying problem is
    and by the nose- the rust looks to have penetrated. as if it had been scraped and than the rust started again. weird.

im in touch with Jethro Bodine. answers should be forthcomming.....or not, as the case may be.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Some people have very corrosive sweat. Not much you can do about that. I wonder if you'd be a good candidate for nickel plate, Cera or Dura Coat?

Yeah, I have thought about different finishes. And as time and finances allow I will be trying different ones. While I am disappointed the Glock finish is rusting...the more I think about it the more I think that I must have scraped it against something hard and then it started rusting. I don't know for sure. I do know that my sweat is very very corrosive.
    Live and learn!

los
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    Some people have very corrosive sweat. Not much you can do about that. I wonder if you'd be a good candidate for nickel plate, Cera or Dura Coat?
    Are you serious? Wouldn't that clog his sweat pores..?

[BTW, good advice.]
    bunker and RockStrongo like this.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

The photo of the Glock looks to be quite apparent that the place where the rust is forming likely has some damage to the Tennifer finish. Also that little spot on the barrel. There is no rust anywhere else on the Glock which is a testament to the Glock Tennifer finish.

I would think if you would have rust on other areas of the Glock such as on the gripping groves at the rear of the slide as well if your sweat was corrosive to Tennifer. Which leads me to conclude you have some sort of damage or chip to the actual Tennifer finish in that one spot where the rust formed. That one spot is not affording the steel the same protection as the rest of the gun.

I believe Dura Coat would be an excellent solution for your Kel Tec. I would have DuraCoated it instead of going with the parkerizing.

Also, why not carry the Glock in the Kangaroo Holster?
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Hope the new finish on the PF9 takes care of the problem. I noticed a bit of rust on the side of the wife's PF9 after she sweated on it a bunch one day. I instructed her on wiping it down with a silicon cloth and since then she has been doing it nightly when taking it off, and so far so good. No more tiny rust spots.

If it ever gets to be a problem in the future, I think that dura coat will be the solution I go with.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Perhaps a different shoulder rig would work? One that is leather and covers the weapon and affords some protection against your acid sweat.

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    Perhaps a different shoulder rig would work? One that is leather and covers the weapon and affords some protection against your acid sweat.
    I would second this. After trying two separate guns it seems that the holster may be the issue.

Granted the finish may suck on the kel-tec, but with leather or kydex blocking sweat it may only succumb to holster wear.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I'm thinking "alien mutant". j/k

I'm guessing that the tenifer on that Glock was chipped off prior to that rust spot appearing? There's also a mark on the end of the barrel that looks like the gun was dropped on concrete? Is there something in your daily activities that's beating up your guns?
    Actually the "Tenifer" is saturated in at the molecular level of the metal. It cant be "chipped off". The black is simple black powder coat.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

You aren't a mutant, some people just have corrosive sweat. That's why some musicians have to buy special guitar strings. Your fine, just need better coatings for your slides.
    “Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.” Han Solo

With all due respect to your CHL instructor, get a different holster. You aren't going to find a more corrosion-resistant finish than the tennifer on a Glock, and I take mine on a boat (salt water spray) at least weekly. The rig that your instructor chose for you is right near your armpit, a major source for sweat. Try a belly band or a cross-breed style tuckable IWB with a sweat guard.
    jwhite75 likes this.
    Train, shoot, and write your state/local/US reps, as often as you post on gun boards, and America will be just fine. Semper Fi.

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    MY PF9 was blued, but I Duracoated it in Combat Grey.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links