And Kimber's barrel bushing is machined from stainless bar stock...

This is a discussion on And Kimber's barrel bushing is machined from stainless bar stock... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm curious, how many already knew that? I should do this as a poll. I'm just learning all kinds of Kimber stuff - and it's ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: And Kimber's barrel bushing is machined from stainless bar stock...

Senior Moderator

I'm curious, how many already knew that? I should do this as a poll.

I'm just learning all kinds of Kimber stuff - and it's all good!

Kimber changed from a mim barrel bushing to a machined one back in mid 97. Prior to that all the mim parts were made in Spain. Kimber owned the mim moulds that were used to make the various parts i.e. grip safety,thumb safety, front and rear sight, slide stop, magazine catch etc. CMC bought and probably still buys those parts from Kimber. Kimbers philosophy was to make everything inhouse. They have since began doing their own mim.

Kenbo
    "For those who aren't familiar with Kenbo, he worked for Kimber in Yonkers in the "early" days."
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

I gotta say one thing I shot a kimber twice now it has the digital camo finish,and crimson trace grips and has CUSTOM on the left side of the slide,I have several 1911's but the kimber actually shot better groups and pointed more naturally for me.Out of about 250 rounds had 0 malfunctions
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

los
    I take it that you're warming-up to the Kimber, a bit..?

I can certainly relate.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I gotta say one thing I shot a kimber twice now it has the digital camo finish,and crimson trace grips and has CUSTOM on the left side of the slide,I have several 1911's but the kimber actually shot better groups and pointed more naturally for me.Out of about 250 rounds had 0 malfunctions
    Yeah, I know what you mean, there's definitely some Kimber magic going on somehow.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by los View Post
    I take it that you're warming-up to the Kimber, a bit..?

I can certainly relate.
    LOL, yeah, I'm warmed up a little to Kimber. Not so much that anyone would notice though.

The digital camo laser grip version is called the Kimber Custom Covert. It is out of the custom shop so it is built a little tighter then the "standard" models.
    Kahr CW9, Sig Sauer P226 SCT 9mm, Sig Sauer P229 SCT 9mm, FNH FNP .45 Tactical
    "The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Tangle,

You know I love yah buddy, but god for bid one of you Kimbers go down! You want hear the end of it from the DC regulars! haha
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    Tangle,

You know I love yah buddy, but god for bid one of you Kimbers go down! You want hear the end of it from the DC regulars! haha
    LOL - I know, I know, I'm digging a deep hole. OTOH, how can the Kimber bashing get any worse than it already is.

And I will post the issues if they occur.

The humorous asymmetry of this is, I can't win. If I shoot 50,000 rounds without a problem it won't change anything. If I had a part failure on the 50,000th round all the Kimber naysayers would be saying we told you so.

Sigh, the sacrifices I make for this board.

Hee, hee, if something has to fail, I just hope it's the extractor - it's tool steel.

I have a question about Kimbers. My buddy has one and he brings it out shooting all the time, but every time I shoot it I get hit right in the head with the ejected brass. I have the same issue with some of the other pistols I shoot but those are maybe one casing out of 50 whereas the Kimber is almost every shot. He has the same problem when he shoots it, and so has everybody I have seen shoot it. Is it something we are doing wrong or is it a bad ejector? I really hope this isn't a dumb question .
    I don't mean to hijack your thread, just thought about this and didn't think it should be a whole new thread.

Kimber built a great reputation with their rifles in the early days. I don't see why their pistols should be any less. I also don't see how anyone can blame an entire line of a product because of some issues that may happen in regards to some type of failure in a few guns.

I have been in the gun thing a long time, and the Glock was the closest thing to a steller record up until the problems with the gen 4. And even before that you had isolated issues here in there, with the "kabooms".

I have been a gun snob for sometime. But guns like the little Bersa 380 have changed my mind alot.

The more I live and learn, the more I am convinced that we may waste alot of energy fretting about nothing. I have even had trouble out of a few of my "bullet proof" revolvers this year. Machinery is never perfect.

I would just shoot the crap out of that Kimber, and if something does go wrong, fix it and keep marching.
    mr surveyor likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Kimber built a great reputation with their rifles in the early days. I don't see why their pistols should be any less. I also don't see how anyone can blame an entire line of a product because of some issues that may happen in regards to some type of failure in a few guns.

I have been in the gun thing a long time, and the Glock was the closest thing to a steller record up until the problems with the gen 4. And even before that you had isolated issues here in there, with the "kabooms".

I have been a gun snob for sometime. But guns like the little Bersa 380 have changed my mind alot.

The more I live and learn, the more I am convinced that we may waste alot of energy fretting about nothing. I have even had trouble out of a few of my "bullet proof" revolvers this year. Machinery is never perfect.

I would just shoot the crap out of that Kimber, and if something does go wrong, fix it and keep marching.
    I like your way of thinking Gman. I do intend to shoot the crap out of it. If I can ever get this electric go cart off my back.

I committed to this a year ago and have had nothing but problems. Now that I'm building every piece myself, things are starting to turn around. But the time I'm having to commit to it is taking up my I'm-off-for-the-summer shooting time.

It's for a disabled child and the controls and cart have to have some unique features or I'd just go buy a Razor and be done with it.

Senior Moderator
    Well, if you're not holding your head in the wrong place, it shouldn't be doing that. I have three and none of them do that.

The prudent thing to do at this point is call Kimber. It doesn't matter if the 1 year warranty period has expired, I believe Kimber will still take care of you. Wilson's don't even have a warranty at all and they take care of their customers. I know guys that have recieved warranty work after having a Kimber for 10 years. Of course that doesn't mean Kimber will everytime, but from what I've heard, they're pretty good at taking care of their customers.

If they ask you to send it to them, they should send you a mailing ticket. And be sure to ask if there's a charge for the repair.

I'd sure appreciate it if you would let me know what they say - you can PM me if you like.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie1826 View Post
    I have a question about Kimbers. My buddy has one and he brings it out shooting all the time, but every time I shoot it I get hit right in the head with the ejected brass. I have the same issue with some of the other pistols I shoot but those are maybe one casing out of 50 whereas the Kimber is almost every shot. He has the same problem when he shoots it, and so has everybody I have seen shoot it. Is it something we are doing wrong or is it a bad ejector? I really hope this isn't a dumb question .
    I don't mean to hijack your thread, just thought about this and didn't think it should be a whole new thread.

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    I just got a chance to play with a new Kimber Raptor and I think it is a must have! I have owned a few kimbers over the years and never had a problem with any of them.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragman View Post
    I just got a chance to play with a new Kimber Raptor and I think it is a must have! I have owned a few kimbers over the years and never had a problem with any of them.
    Oh Boy! I do want to hear about that if you land one. That is one impressive gun - heard lots of good stuff about it.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie1826 View Post
    Is it something we are doing wrong or is it a bad ejector?
    It can be the ejector, OR the extractor. You should also look at the firing pin stop, if it's poorly fitted, it can allow the extractor to "clock" giving erratic ejection.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links