1911: An Accuracy Effort - Page 2

1911: An Accuracy Effort

This is a discussion on 1911: An Accuracy Effort within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I truly enjoy your posts, Bryan! I agree 100% on the lightened slides. Boy, the collet bushings! For years they were the first thing I ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: 1911: An Accuracy Effort

OD*
    I truly enjoy your posts, Bryan!

I agree 100% on the lightened slides.

Boy, the collet bushings! For years they were the first thing I changed on a new Colt, I just knew they would break! (and in all the years I've been into Colt's, I have only seen one with my own eyes that ever broke)

Then I meant a Colt man that knew a heck of a lot more about Colt's than I did. He said not to remove the bushing when you take the pistol down for cleaning, just rack the slide back an 1/8" or so, just enough to clear the "bell" on the "Accurizor" barrel, and then twist, then pull the barrel with the bushing still on it and you won't flex or fatigue the fingers. I'll be danged if he wasn't right.

And thank you for the kind words Bryan, even though they are not deserved.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Oh you deserve the kind words all right, o guru of all that is 1911!

In your post above, you just taught me something so obvious that I am embarrassed not to have seen it before, with the suggestion to leave the bushing on when disassembling the pistol.

"Why didn't I think of that?!" He says as he muddles through life oblivious to the obvious.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

OD*
    Thank you Bryan.

Yeah, it was a real slap your forehead moment for me too, felt dumber than a box of rocks.

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsmoke16 View Post
    Looking great...Know you tried the full-length guide rod, but have you tried a Dyer Group Gripper? It's cheap at about $30 and basically has a new linkage that replaces the link pin and when it locks up, it tightens up the lock so there is no movement, allowing better accuracy from the barrel. I've seen guns shooting out of the black go down to a 9/10 ring improvement with one of these. I use one myself and also use Wilson springs and Shock Buffs to keep frame damage to a minimum. They're just silicone buffers that slip on the guide rod piece and take the shock out of the recoil a bit. Nice grouping-I prefer a gun that can make tiny groups like this to having a sloppy, all over the black gun. Sometimes accuracy is more important than magazine capacity...you only need one well placed .45 bullet. Happy Shooting
    Hi Gunsmoke16;

That Dyer Group Gripper is a new one on me. I'd not heard of it before. I Googled it and found it spelled "Dwyer." It appears that Wilson may market them now. I'll have to go back and look some more.

I tried shock buffers when they got popular but they seemed to upset the 1911s in which I used them, Gold Cup especially. I still have a little package of them around here somewhere from years ago. Some folks thought they might be a function hazard if they were to break down with use and clog up the works. I never had that problem but then they didn't stay in the guns very long.

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

OD*
    Bryan, here's a little lite reading on the Dwyer group gripper; Dwyer group gripper kit - 1911Forum

OD*, Bryan, keep the info coming. I am soaking it up like a sponge.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Hey Glockman10mm;

Those members with initials for screen names like OD*, JD QKshooter, along with some others here are your best bet for the good 1911 information and lore. My stock answer for 1911 happiness is to stay close to designs that are rendered most like original Colts/military guns, leave it alone, and just shoot it. Even the Gold Cup is a little too tuned for my tastes if one is seeking a reliable 1911 for self defense. The shorter 1911 designs look mighty appealing but I'm a little skeptical (read that ignorant). I'd have to get one and play with it a while to get to know it.

As I recall, the Gold Cup originally came with a 12 lb. "softball" recoil spring and a 16 or 17 lb. "hardball" spring. I've always enjoyed shooting other people's GCs, but have never owned one, or particularly wanted one, mostly because of how annoying it is to reassemble with that goofy little kicker spring on the sear, necessitated to prevent the heavy honker of a trigger from bouncing and causing inadvertent premature bullet launch. I'd forgotten that some had lightening cuts in the slide, which I think is a good idea, particularly for shooting light loads. I'd not heard of any of them cracking until now. Something tells me those might be guns in which the 12 pound spring was used to shoot large numbers of hardball loads. Every Gold Cup I've ever shot (about 6-8 in all)has had a delightful trigger pull and has been extremely acurate.

The comments about dissassembling the 1911 by what I've always called the "armorer's method" amused me. I learned it on my own, as an outgrowth of my laziness and constant desire to do things the easy way. Some years later, an old gunsmith saw me doing it, smiled, and said, "That's the way an armorer does it." Hell if I know, but it works, and it is easier on those silly collet bushings. Regardless, they do sometimes break for reasons other than rough disassembly, because the fingers flex during recoil and return to battery.

I installed a Dwyer Group Gripper in the first 1911 I ever built, and it worked well. That gun had a fitted, match bushing, but it also had an old GI barrel and fairly sloppy barrel-slide fit at the chamber end. I don't know if they still make the GG for Commander-length guns, but they used to. My one experiment with that failed. The shorter leaf spring in the Commander length guide rod was so stiff that the gun wouldn't reliably go into battery with the Group Gripper installed. I think it would have required a 26 pound recoil spring to overcome the Group Gripper spring. I've probably still got that old Group Gripper in a parts box somewhere.

Oh yeah, then there's the inimitable LeVick who might have picked up a wrinkle or two about the 1911 in his rather lengthy lifetime. I can say that because he's older than me and I've seen him some place before.

Hey, I resemble that remark!

Over the time spent here, I have come to recognize those guys. But Bryan, you ain't no slouch. And even though my knowledge is limited in the 1911 area, hopefully I'll correct that gross lack of judgement.

What I do know is this, I agree with the KISS philosophy of the 1911. Next year I will decide on another, but unless it's for games or competition it will be bare bones, and it WILL be a Colt. Very similar to the one I just aquired that is riding concealed on my person in an IWB, and loaded with 230 weight fmj:)
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Oh no Gman! Can't do that 230 grain fmj. No, no. Mustn't do that. No hollow point you see. Must have a hollow point. Bad guys don't know they are suppose to be properly shot unless there is a hollow point involved. Caliber and bullet weight matter not but only the hollow point.

Actually I toted a .45 Automatic for the first time in a long time on a long trip out west over Memorial Day week. I'm still finding spare magazines in the glove box of the pickup. Just plucked one out of there today. All loaded with 230 grain FMJ.

Nothing wrong with 230 grain hollow point ammunition mind you. I might get some or make up a neato handload using 230 grain hollow points for self defense use one of these days. The 230 grain FMJ ain't no slouch either.
    OD* likes this.

Id venture to guess a hit or two in the wishbone will do the job. I have to get a die set for the ACP. I might load HP, but with a 45, I aint worried about it, rumor has it that the fmj's been accounting for alot of dead people for a looooong time

PS; Why spend more money than needed to put down a POS?
    OD* likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Id venture to guess a hit or two in the wishbone will do the job. I have to get a die set for the ACP. I might load HP, but with a 45, I aint worried about it, rumor has it that the fmj's been accounting for alot of dead people for a looooong time

PS; Why spend more money than needed to put down a POS?
    LOL, over penetration thats why...Youll get it. Your killing me...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Actually I toted a .45 Automatic for the first time in a long time on a long trip out west over Memorial Day week. I'm still finding spare magazines in the glove box of the pickup. Just plucked one out of there today. All loaded with 230 grain FMJ.
    Now I like hearing that, Bryan.

We just returned from walking the pooches and I was carrying ol' reliable, a Colt done up they way Uncle Jeff thought they should be.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links