Just got my new gun today!

This is a discussion on Just got my new gun today! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; DSCN2122.JPG I don't know if anyone has read the thread "The official 9mm vs. 40 debate," I am the OP and was torn between the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Just got my new gun today!

DSCN2122.JPGI don't know if anyone has read the thread "The official 9mm vs. 40 debate," I am the OP and was torn between the G23 and the G19. Today I went to two, huge gun dealers today and studied them both. At both stores, every one recommended the 19 over the 23. I told them I was buying one model or the other today, and they were both the same price, so I know they werent trying to push me one way just for sales. Plus, both dealers were carrying the 19 as I asked them.

I asked one of the guys at the store if it was rediculous to feel or think I would be under-gunned if I carried a 9mm, he proceeded to almost get offended and say that he has been a gunsmith for 33 years and his EDC is exclusively 9mm. He said he knows everything about guns and would not make a foolish mistake as to be undergunned. I walked away from him and walked across the store and asked another guy his opinion on the G19 vs. the G23 and he said the same thing. He said if he could choose 1 pistol in the store to have for free it would be the 19 (even though he was already carrying it). He then told me his friend is a Vietnam vet and active swat for the past 20 years, and his friend only owns 19's.

They both reiterated to me what I was thinking, and that was larger capacity and cheaper ammunition trumped a slightly larger/more powerful round. There's a good chance I will never one time ever pull my gun in a SD situation. For all the millions of times I do fire at the range, why not save the money on the ammo?

Plus, the 9mm is what started Glock.

After months and months of debate, here is my G19!
    DSCN2121.JPG
    A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them..."
    -George Washington

Congratulations! G19 is an Awesome Pistol! No doubt you'll enjoy it......
    Proverbs 3:5-6
    "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to Him, and He will make your paths straight."

Congrats! I purchased a Gen 4 G19 June 1st. So far excellent weapon. Enjoy!
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

I need to add a G19 to my collection, there must be a reason they are so popular.
    Exercise your 2nd amendment rights....not doing so jeopardizes that right for everyone.

Congrats on your 19!

Arguably the finest combat handgun in the world today. Enjoy.
    joker1 likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Congrats!!
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem."
    Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985

I have one of each, so why not both?? They fit the same holsters etc so if you wanted to switch up you could.

I enjoy shooting both and sometimes swap between them for Concealed Carry.

GM
    Congrats and enjoy!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

OD*
    Congratulations amigo.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, dont give them a tomorrow."

Cant go wrong with a G19.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    In my opinion, your choice was a toss up. Just as well either way. Very Well Done!
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Thanks everyone, I'm super excited about it. I think I made a good choice. In the words of one of the above mentioned employees of the store "if the bad guy gets shot twice in the chest with a 9mm, or wether he gets shot with a 40 calibur, he can't tell the difference."

Now, I'm to conquer new territory: holsters and concealment. I've seen the Crossbreed Super Tuck Deluxe and the Galco Summer Comfort. I want comfortable, deep concealment. Any suggestions and ideas on where to start?
    A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them..."
    -George Washington

Congratulations on the Glock 19. I just picked up a used one this past weekend.
    .357 mag, When you care enough to send the very best!

I own and love the Glock 19. I have had it for several years and never once thought I should have purchased the G23 (which is still a great pistol). More capacity, cheaper ammo, and less recoil greatly trump the bigger more powerful 40s&W imo.

Since my purchase of the G19, I have purchase several other guns. I do like my newer pistols but I don't think I would ever get rid of my Glock 19.

Oh yeah. Congrats on the new gun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links