Sipped the kool-aid, but can't quite choke it down

This is a discussion on Sipped the kool-aid, but can't quite choke it down within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I bought a Glock 30 a while back and I've really wanted to like it...and have tried to like it...but I don't. It feels ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Sipped the kool-aid, but can't quite choke it down

So I bought a Glock 30 a while back and I've really wanted to like it...and have tried to like it...but I don't. It feels fine in my hand and it handles the .45 round really well (hardly any noticable recoil), but it is a bear to carry and I can't hit squat with it. I've carried it on occasion and it makes my back hurt whereas none of my other guns do. I've only put 60 rounds through it, but I just can't get used to the sights and trigger. My target from 11 yards looked like crap. It got a little better as I got through the session, but hideous compared to my xd40sc, P95, SP101, and 442 (all of which are like an extension of my finger). I've had hardly any firearms in my hands over the course of my life that I couldn't shoot well within a few minutes and this is one of them. Perhaps I need to give it a couple hundred rounds, but I absolutely hate that U rear sight. I find it distracting. So it may be too soon to tell or it may be it just isn't for me. Either way, I'm fairly disappointed...but it really isn't any fault of the gun itself as it has functioned perfectly.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

3 dot night sites are around $100 or less. Maybe that site picture would work better for you.
    .357 mag, When you care enough to send the very best!

I have only sipped the kool-aid out of someone else's glass and really didn't like the flavor. I'd have to say though that you ought to give the pistol some more range time. Throwing in the towel at only 60 rounds just isn't giving that Glock a fair shake.

I'm guessing the trigger action is what is giving you "heartburn." It does for me. I can hit with one. I was shooting one of my brother-in-law's Glocks recently and he remarked that I was hitting the spinners so well I should own one. I could hit them but didn't like doing it with that trigger. So, the Glock is awfully far down on my list of desired acquisitions. If I could sneak up on a used 17 or 19 for little cash outlay I might try a Glock as an academic exercise one day.

Or not.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Give you $200 for it :)
    ArkhmAsylm likes this.

Never been a Glock fan... Can't say I blame you.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    I have to say that I love Glocks and shoot them best. I don't like the origional Glock sights though.... I change them.

Even though they're a great weapon I know that they aren't for everyone. Maybe trade it for a different model??? Or something that suits you better.

Good luck.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    Give you $200 for it :)
    LOL I'll bid $250.00

Make it 450 and its yours.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

The G30 is a chunky pistol. 35-36 ounces loaded is a lot of gun. That being said I thought I remembered you saying that you had been opting for a full size 1911 recently? Either way Glock's aren't for everyone. I could never get used to the stock sights on any of mine and the trigger definitely took some getting used to. If your looking for a slightly smaller/lighter .45 carry maybe check out a Kahr CW .45.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Hang in there BugDude. When I got my first Glock I was shooting shotgun patterns. Then I came across a some posts and learned better techniques on shooting my G23.

After reading that. I took my glock out with a few other pistols to the range that day. It was judgement day for my Glock. If I couldn't shoot it well after what I read on the forums. It was time for me to move on. To make a long story shot, I fired the Glock to my satisfactory that day. A majority of my rounds were within the 7 ring with an occasional flyer. Make shure you have a good firm high grip and learn the re-set on the Glock trigger. You will be happily rewarded.

Maybe someone here will chime in with some better detailed advice on Glock shooting than I can. But don't give up just yet. You'll be sorry.

Also I like the stock glock sights. I'm not saying I shoot a Glock better than any of my other guns. But I seem to pick up my target acquisition quicker with them than other sights. And feel very comfortable in making combat accurate hits.
    "Get rid of that chrome plated sissy pistol and get yourself a GLOCK"

los
    The only reason I retired my G30 as my primary CCW was because of it's width. For me it was too excessive for all day comfy carry.

With that being said, the G30 was very accurate and a soft shooter.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Someone started a post on guns that you thought you would love but hated.

Looking through the posts I found Glocks to be the number one there was only one for 1911

Glocks aren't for everyone. I love them but different guns feel different for different people. So, you learned you don't like them....Now you know.

If you REALLY want to like them, get a grip reduction/reshaping done and maybe it will feel better.

I had some problems early on hitting with my Glock 19, and my advice is to hang on to it for another month or two. I got some advice early on to not use the short trigger reset, but to let the trigger all the way out between every shot. I think it was from someone on this forum; wish I could remember who. I like you seriously considered getting rid of mine during that first month or two, but after I put some time into learning the trigger (and, yes, getting used to the weird U rear sight) I can empty that gun into nice tight groups fast. Aside from single action revolvers Glocks are my favorite. If you still want to get rid of it after September you shouldn't have any problem getting $450 for it. If I had the cash I'd give you that for it right now.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Make it 450 and its yours.
    Thanks for the offer but I have to decline. Kinda steep for something I already have.

It is a good offer for only 60 rounds downrange.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links