Backpacking - Page 2

Backpacking

This is a discussion on Backpacking within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have backpacked in col wyo &montana. Yeah with me anyway every oz counts,anytime I get over 8000 feet that pack gets way heavy way ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Backpacking

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    I have backpacked in col wyo &montana. Yeah with me anyway every oz counts,anytime I get over 8000 feet that pack gets way heavy way fast. So were it my choice it would be the 640. About perfect I'd think. Your insides know what ya need! In anycase sounds fun.

I carry my .357 when I go backpacking. I often encounter snakes, hogs, and the occaitional black bear. I carry the first two rounds snakeshot and heavy penetrators after that. A 9mm may be a little weak in a desperate situation.
    brylow and Secret Spuk like this.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    Load that Glock up and enjoy the outdoors if your stay'n away from grizzly country. You have high cap and light weight and will hadle +p loads.

I do not want or need to carry a .45 or .44 mag or shotty, or anything other than 9mm or .38 or possibly .357
    It doesn't sound as if you anticipate problems with bear or other animals so you have a lot of choices for carry. I personally prefer a 4" revolver for back country excursions and my usual carry piece for such a venture is a 4" Ruger GP100. Yeah, I know it's heavy but it works for me.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    If you're only carrying for "people problems" I'd go with the 9mm PM9. If you are carrying for people, animals, and more people then your glock.

The PM9 is more than up for two weeks in the woods if it's already proved it's reliability. For two weeks every ounce counts and that would be the lightest deal.

Gideon

Its a shame you dont have a Glock 29, the perfect backpacking gun.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Quote Originally Posted by LAFLA View Post
    Am planning a 2 week backpack trip and will be carrying a handgun (as I do every day anyway). I'd like your opinions on which of the following that I already own would be your preferred carry and the best balance of rain (and sweat) durability.

Glock 19 with 1 15 round magazine - 29.7 ounces
    S&W M&P9c with 1 12 round magazine - 30.5 ounces (weighed with CT grips attached)
    S&W 640 with 5 rounds and 2 speedloaders carried in side pocket of pack - 30.3 ounces (.357 loads would be slightly heavier)

Other options but either weight or rust potential probably rule them out: S&W 686, Kahr CW9 or PM9, Colt Detective Special, Walther PPS,

I do not want or need to carry a .45 or .44 mag or shotty, or anything other than 9mm or .38 or possibly .357
    TWO WEEKS? That's not a camping trip, that's a deployment! I gotta go with the reliability test. If it was me, I'd be carrying my Glock M30 (45acp) with a couple of different mags. Probably at least three mags, or say one in the gun and a loaded spare + full 50rd box loaded with a variety of ammo types: 230 gr FMJ for larger critters and deeper penetration, 185gr SPEER GD +P for "social work" and whatever mix you feel comfortable with or are particularly accurate. If ya gotta stay within the calibers listed, go with the 357. But bear in mind that the grit and grime you're gonna experience might cause a "bind" situation. Stay away from the 9mm's for the woods. I carry one often but I wouldn't in the woods.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

4in 357. My Service six would be my choice, stainless, powerful and accurate.
    CaptSmith likes this.

A friendly reminder the longer you are out the lighter your backpack/load becomes because you are using non replaceable items. If you are in a place where you can replace the items you are using then weight doesn't become a factor because you can carry less to begin with.

Administrator
    You should always carry one spare mag with any semi-automatic handgun in case you have a magazine failure.
    crzy4guns likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    A friendly reminder the longer you are out the lighter your backpack/load becomes because you are using non replaceable items. If you are in a place where you can replace the items you are using then weight doesn't become a factor because you can carry less to begin with.
    You'll no doubt remember from your time in the Corps that the rucksack lightness factor has a great deal to do with creature comforts. We used to say in the light infantry (no M113 to carry our stuff) that it always came down to this motto: "Travel Light, FREEZE at Night!" As a consequence, we were always wet, cold, tired, hungry and miserable. That's just the nature of the job. When I was in a line outfit, I never took a shelter half, tent, sleeping bag or other snivel gear to the woods. Everything was either water or ammo and yeah, if you consume that, your load will lighten considerably. Especially if you're an M60 gunner! But creature comforts help us remember that the ordeal is going to be worth it in the long run. When I was a young shave tail 2LT, GOR-TEX was brand new on the market and all the savvy young grunts were rushing out and spending go-zillions of bucks to get it for the field. Jackets in OD green were big. Even more KEWL was the one man tent made from the stuff that had shock-corded struts that snapped together and could be put up in seconds in the dark and were also dark green or camo colored. We young-uns discovered that when you're not freezing and miserable at night you can actually become a lot deadlier in your chosen profession. Of course, we carried rucksacks filled with stuff (I carried all that extra officer type stuff like CEOI and strobes and rope etc) which we humped till we set up a base camp or a hide site if you like, dropped our rucks and patrolled out from that wearing only our LBE or Load Bearing Equipment with ammo pouches, canteens, first aid and maybe a butt pack to put chow in or extra mission required stuff. A civilian could do the same thing. Hump the heavy stuff in to make life a tiny bit more comfy and patrol outward moving fast and light for maintaining security. Does any of this make sense or am I rambling again....?
    Secret Spuk and Brady like this.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I second the G29. I carry that in a chest holster if I'm out in the woodses.
    If you're going to carry one weapon, might as well carry two, because as the saying goes, "Two is one, and one is none."

"Liberals can decline or whine, but I will still carry and conceal mine." - Cold Warrior. Excellent quote good sir!

I'd take my G26 and a spare G19 mag.

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    Just remember, if your hear dueling banjos, its time to worry.
    Ah, banjos shouldn't worry ya. Probably means moonshine and a catfish meal. Hearing Boom Boom Rap music would worry me a lot more these days!

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    Of the choices you mentioned the G19.

My choice would be the G29 or G20.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links