Backpacking

This is a discussion on Backpacking within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would take the 686 - .357 Magnum - don't accept substitutes....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Backpacking

I would take the 686 - .357 Magnum - don't accept substitutes.
    Secret Spuk likes this.

2. Remove Ads

As the OP to this thread, I thank you for all the input. I pretty much decided on the 640 with magnum loads and 2 speedloaders in my side pocket of my pack. Then I started looking at what I needed for a two week trip (date is set for next April / May) and weight became a big issue. The 640 fully loaded is a half pound heavier than my son's fully loaded 642 with +Ps. I need to carry either on my belt or in my pocket; not in the pack so I think I may buy either a 642 or a 442. Now the confusion starts. This forum has lots to read about the 642 vs 442 and I will be happy to accept re-direction to some newer posts on the issue that discusses corrosion resistance. Does the 442 have a stainless steel cylinder or a carbon steel cylinder (I've heard both and seen discrepancies even on the S&W site)? If carbon steel, will I have a corrosion problem over 2 weeks in rain and sweaty conditions?

Curious where your trip is? I'm following for similar reason. I have a Model 60 Pro .357 which is my leaning, but it weighs more than your 640. Not up to the two week trip yet. May get an Airweight-type soon and get a can of bear repellant for the really bad scenarios. PM me if you don't want to post too many details about 'unrelated' stuff!

If you carry a 642 or 442, take a look at Blazer 38+p 158 grain TMJ round. Decent velocity, yet controllable, and the solid blunt nose should help with penetration. Plus the aluminum Blazer cases save you a few extra ounces in weight. A couple speed strips with five rounds a piece you'd be good for most woods walks. Its a compromise solution, but when backpacking many such comprimises are made to manage weight vs performance.
    "One mind, any weapon." - Hunter B. Armstrong

In ten years nobody will remember the details of caliber, stance, or tactics.
    They will only remember who lived. - USMC Rules of Gunfighting

Quote Originally Posted by DryHeat View Post
    If you carry a 642 or 442, take a look at Blazer 38+p 158 grain TMJ round. Decent velocity, yet controllable, and the solid blunt nose should help with penetration. Plus the aluminum Blazer cases save you a few extra ounces in weight. A couple speed strips with five rounds a piece you'd be good for most woods walks. Its a compromise solution, but when backpacking many such comprimises are made to manage weight vs performance.
    If you're talking about protection from 2 legged varmints in the woods take a hard look at a new load from Buffalo Bore Item# 20D-150gr Hard Cast Wad Cutter @ 850fps. It's a low pressure load designed to expand from a short barrel. I've taken to carrying them for my EDC revolver (M642) as spares in the speedloader. I keep my cylinder stoked with MagSafe SWAT loads but I think this new loading from Buffalo Bore is something special!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I am headed out for a long trail hike in the spring. I faced the same decision: find something sufficient to do the job, reliable when dirty and wet, yet as light as possible. I bought the Glock 27. I will carry it in a Wilderness Tactical pouch that will fit on my backpack waist belt. Unless you're hiking in Grizzly country, the biggest threat will be a drunk local trying to have some fun by 'hassling a hiker.' In my case, where I will be hiking, the bears are black and are more likely to be gone before I see them. All I have to do is be smart about my food and my campsite and animals will not be a problem. But I will be ready for Bubba if necessary.
    Sig Sauer P229 SCT 9mm
    CrossBreed Super Tuck
    Glock 27
    Galco IWB
    SureFire E2D

Charter arms 44spl bulldog stainless... chief special size pistol with 3" tapered barrel... less than 25 oz loaded for bear...perfect side arm

Soldier is right - those rounds deserve a look too. Even though BB calls them low pressure - hang on to your revolver. The recoil is stout in a 15 oz gun. Then again, the laws of physics suggest it will be equally as uncomfortable on the other end -
    "One mind, any weapon." - Hunter B. Armstrong

In ten years nobody will remember the details of caliber, stance, or tactics.
    They will only remember who lived. - USMC Rules of Gunfighting

When I backpack, which is often, I carry something with some punch. Eberlestock X1A1 backpack. I am more concerned about two legged threats in the remote AZ desert though. it is also my primary hunting pack. Carries my .308 bolt or an ar with a 20rd mag with ease. Not to mention my g17 or 29 tag along. I do not want to be caught in the az desert on one of my 3-4 day hike/camp trips without a long gun.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by LAFLA View Post
    As the OP to this thread, I thank you for all the input. I pretty much decided on the 640 with magnum loads and 2 speedloaders in my side pocket of my pack. Then I started looking at what I needed for a two week trip (date is set for next April / May) and weight became a big issue. The 640 fully loaded is a half pound heavier than my son's fully loaded 642 with +Ps. I need to carry either on my belt or in my pocket; not in the pack so I think I may buy either a 642 or a 442. Now the confusion starts. This forum has lots to read about the 642 vs 442 and I will be happy to accept re-direction to some newer posts on the issue that discusses corrosion resistance. Does the 442 have a stainless steel cylinder or a carbon steel cylinder (I've heard both and seen discrepancies even on the S&W site)? If carbon steel, will I have a corrosion problem over 2 weeks in rain and sweaty conditions?

Check out Simply Rugged Holsters and look at there pancake holster. reasonable price, several different options and you can get there chesty puller straps for chest carry.
    got one for my taurus 357 and i LOVE it.
    much cheaper alternative to buying a new pistol (unless you just want one) :)

anybody here ever have any problems hiking? where i am the snakes are nv, the people are pretty friendly, and the bears non carnivorous. oth, i have never been out off a trail for 2 weeks. just saying, 2 weeks in az vs. co vs. al etc. would dictate different equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by LAFLA View Post
    Okay, remember one thing: Ya gotta take CARE of your weapon! A corrosion problem? Use a moisture displacing lube or better yet, unholster and wipe it down, once in awhile! OR, carry a Glock. Also, I have some concerns in using a 357 out of a snubbie. I worry that all you'll gain is thunder cracking noise, brutal recoil muzzle blast like a flamethrower and not much improvement in performance because the length of the barrel isn't enough room to take advantage of the powder burn. Too much bleed off in muzzle velocity won't translate into penetration into the target. Why not at least a four inch barrel? Better accuracy and range and real magnum performance. I carried a S&W Model 19 4" for many years. Always felt well armed, even in Grizzly country.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by boatman View Post
    anybody here ever have any problems hiking? where i am the snakes are nv, the people are pretty friendly, and the bears non carnivorous. oth, i have never been out off a trail for 2 weeks. just saying, 2 weeks in az vs. co vs. al etc. would dictate different equipment.
    There is plenty of crime on the trail and it can be horrific in nature. Crimes of opportunity because bad guys like to relax and crimes of specific targeting because bad guys know cops are in short supply and so are firearms with the rabbit people who hike. Serial killers often haunt the trails. Do a search online. Or just look at the crime stats for the national parks! Jeeze, Ranger Rick is packing an AR15 these days and his biggest issue is no longer Yogi, Boo Boo and stolen pic-in-net baskets!

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    Okay, remember one thing: Ya gotta take CARE of your weapon! A corrosion problem? Use a moisture displacing lube or better yet, unholster and wipe it down, once in awhile! OR, carry a Glock. Also, I have some concerns in using a 357 out of a snubbie. I worry that all you'll gain is thunder cracking noise, brutal recoil muzzle blast like a flamethrower and not much improvement in performance because the length of the barrel isn't enough room to take advantage of the powder burn. Too much bleed off in muzzle velocity won't translate into penetration into the target. Why not at least a four inch barrel? Better accuracy and range and real magnum performance. I carried a S&W Model 19 4" for many years. Always felt well armed, even in Grizzly country.
    What I was thinking too. comparing ballistics of 357mag from a snubby to 9mm from a 4inch barrel. From what you have, I'd take the G19. If you're going to buy a gun for this purpose look into a 357Mag revolver with 4 inch barrel of another 4 inch Glock in 357Sig.

Here is a nifty little ballistics chart by Speer. Speer Ammo - Ballistics Tables
    Find your choice of caliber/load and click 'detail'.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links