Backpacking

This is a discussion on Backpacking within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Am planning a 2 week backpack trip and will be carrying a handgun (as I do every day anyway). I have already researched applicable state ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Backpacking

Backpacking

Am planning a 2 week backpack trip and will be carrying a handgun (as I do every day anyway). I have already researched applicable state and area law and concealed carry reciprocity so those are not factors in this post. In any trip where you carry everything you need, weight and equipment durability is a concern. I'd like your opinions on which of the following that I already own would be your preferred carry and the best balance of rain (and sweat) durability.

Glock 19 with 1 15 round magazine - 29.7 ounces
    S&W M&P9c with 1 12 round magazine - 30.5 ounces (weighed with CT grips attached)
    S&W 640 with 5 rounds and 2 speedloaders carried in side pocket of pack - 30.3 ounces (.357 loads would be slightly heavier)

Other options but either weight or rust potential probably rule them out: S&W 686, Kahr CW9 or PM9, Colt Detective Special, Walther PPS,

I do not want or need to carry a .45 or .44 mag or shotty, or anything other than 9mm or .38 or possibly .357

2. Remove Ads

G19 was designed for expressly for surviving such ventures when made to specifications for the Austrian army, however you would need to make sure you could detail strip the slide, to make sure water cleared the firing pin channel, should it go for a swim in a stream or a river, if you do not have marine spring cups. If it gets mud or dirt wipe it down well and it'll self clean the rest, won't need oiling and the Tennifer and Polymer have shown to hold up just fine with sweat and rain exposure, but one members extensive dunking in salt water did show springs can show small signs of rust over time, so after your trip is over that might be $10 if you go for a swim in the ocean. But with Murphy's law always popping up I'd say one extra mag, I know it's more weight but it's where I'd want my own piece of mind to be. In the same breath I could also lean toward the 640.

Glock Certified Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by LAFLA View Post
    Am planning a 2 week backpack trip and will be carrying a handgun (as I do every day anyway). I have already researched applicable state and area law and concealed carry reciprocity so those are not factors in this post. In any trip where you carry everything you need, weight and equipment durability is a concern. I'd like your opinions on which of the following that I already own would be your preferred carry and the best balance of rain (and sweat) durability.

Glock 19 with 1 15 round magazine - 29.7 ounces
    S&W M&P9c with 1 12 round magazine - 30.5 ounces (weighed with CT grips attached)
    S&W 640 with 5 rounds and 2 speedloaders carried in side pocket of pack - 30.3 ounces (.357 loads would be slightly heavier)

Other options but either weight or rust potential probably rule them out: S&W 686, Kahr CW9 or PM9, Colt Detective Special, Walther PPS,

I do not want or need to carry a .45 or .44 mag or shotty, or anything other than 9mm or .38 or possibly .357
    If you have any chance of confronting animals (bears? cougars? wild hogs?) , then the most powerful loads you can carry in any caliber - .357 for sure is a sensible choice IMHO -
    357and40 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    .357 is the smart choice for animals, but depending on where your going may want to take a pistol with higher capacity and multiple mags. Just remember, if your hear dueling banjos, its time to worry.
    brylow and TX-JB like this.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

G19 with 2 spare mags. . . .
    remington79 likes this.
    Somewhere in the Pacific NW

cj
    WHERE you're planning to pack might have some impact here as well. My typical companion in this type of situation (ok, never done 2 weeks, I'll admit) is to go light. This was a P11 (~ 20oz loaded) during my most recent trip. I take it that if you're doing 2 weeks of packing, you know how every ounce counts...if guys are cutting the handles off their toothbrushes to save weight.....

Of the choices given, I would go with the G19.

I've done long hikes before, and in my experience it's a guarantee that you'll wind up with grit, grime and sweat coating every single item in your possession by day three or four. When in doubt, go Glock if you want to be sure it'll fire in the wild (in my opinion). I don't own one, but I need to eventually

I'd pack along that Smith 686. IMO the best for all round camp gun, protection against two or four legged predators, If carried in a reasonable way will stand up to all the rigors of hiking. .357 is probably, well IMO the best one gun all around caliber around.

Spuk!
    357and40 and C hawk Glock like this.

Also, be sure to take a cleaning kit (Bore snake, GP brush, rag--just in case) and a small container of oil/CLP/other protectant of choice should/when your firearm gets wet.

Are there others going on this trip? Are they carrying? If so, are you carrying the same caliber of ammo? If not, what might be their reaction to your carrying. Not that it would matter to me, but do you have a game plan should they take issue with you carrying in the [sarc] wilderness paradise utopia [/sarc]?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

357 magnum and 45 ACP would be the calibers I would look toward for Wilderness camping.

Given the ones you have listed I would likely bring the G19 with a few (3-5) mags of JHPs AND the 640 with at least 3-5 reloads in the heaviest possible Hard Cast bullets.
    brylow likes this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    I'd pack along that Smith 686. IMO the best for all round camp gun, protection against two or four legged predators, If carried in a reasonable way will stand up to all the rigors of hiking. .357 is probably, well IMO the best one gun all around caliber around.

Spuk!
    A 4 inch 686 would be perfect. I carry at S&W TRR8 with a 5 inch barrel when I head into the cascades or olympics. My 686 would work well but it's a 6 inch.
    INccwchris likes this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Go with a glock

I'm not as glock guy and of your choices would take the glock plus at least 1-2 extra mags.

Take a pack mule and carry an AR10 with 200 rounds,a 12 gauge with 50 rounds of 00 and slugs,a 44 mag with 2 speedloaders of hard hitting ammo and a spare 50 round box,little bells to tie on your shoe laces and a big can of bear spray
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links