XD and XDM Magazine vs Glock Magazine

This is a discussion on XD and XDM Magazine vs Glock Magazine within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I own a XD and XDM never having shot a Glock my friend let me try his....wow I love the feed lip on top of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: XD and XDM Magazine vs Glock Magazine

I own a XD and XDM never having shot a Glock my friend let me try his....wow I love the feed lip on top of the magazine, I wonder if that has something to do with Glock's stellar reliability reputation? it just seems designed better. Anyone know if any companies make Glock style magazines for Springfield guns?? thanks

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Not sure, but XD's and XDM's are phenomenally reliable guns, are you having issues or something?

The lip on the top of the magazine? Where the bullets are stripped off and into the chamber? That area if the magazine is up inside the gun during operation, so what it feels like has no bearing. If the magazine works in the gun that is what matters.

I haven't had any issues with my XD, have you?
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Pretty much the only way I'll get to practice malfunction drills is to load my XDms with snap-caps, dummy rounds, or spent casings......

At my last class, someone came up to me and said "man, you're having a lot of malfunctions!"

I winked and said, "yeah, I had to load all of those!"

I doubt anyone makes GLOCK style magazines for an XD, that would be like trying to put a water pump for a chevy on a ford engine.

I don't own any XD's and have only put a few rounds through one, although I did witness a guy having hella problems with a new XD and his re-loaded ammunition. He ended up using some WWB ammo and was fine (his re-loads had a weird shapped bullet, but I think they had worked in his other XD). Mostly I hear that XD's are very reliable, that being said if you like the GLOCK magazines you'll LOVE the GLOCK pistol. You know now what you must do.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

LOL...Love the comments. Heard the XD's are totally reliable. Tried a full-size 9mm once at the range and after 50 rnds, glad I didn't buy one yet. For someone with short fingers, it feels blocky and unbalanced, big flat top and sights are quite weird, but useable. Have shot lots of guns, but had to work to keep cutting tight groups at 7yds. My old Ruger P95DC is more accurate, easier to shoot/reload and don't feel like a brick. At 25yds, that XD is almost impossible to get any good grouping.

My advice is get a Glock 19...they shoot "tiny" little groups way out past the range of what the XD seemed capable of handling and mostly they are a point-shoot gun. In other words, in a pinch you can throw the thing up naturally and it shoots point of aim, just like extending your finger. First time I ever fired one I did this from 15ft and hit the B27 target between the eyes. Only 3 pistols I've ever seen that I could do that with and the other two are a Russian Makarov and a CZ-52 (never dry fire these-firing pin will break). If you get on youtube and look at the torture testing they have done on the Glocks, you will realize that Brazillian made XD is a maintainance liability (finish will wear off, it will rust, etc much faster than any Glock).

Not sure if this is what the OP was getting at, but XD mags are bare steel - while the Glock mags are polymer with a steel insert. If you drop your mags onto a hard surface, the Glock mags have the benefit of the polymer cushioning the steel. Less chance of dinged up feed lips that way.

If you are going to use bare steel mags, one option to consider is having mags strictly for training use, and other mags strictly for carry use - especially if your training is going to involve dropping your mags without retention onto a hard surface. And no, I do not want to get sidetracked into a discussion about whether you should retain or just drop your mags...
    Superhouse 15 likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

^ +1.

The "social" magazines deserve better treatment - the range magazines can get all the pounding and abuse, get muddy/sandy.

All of my firearms have numbered magazines. That way, I can keep track of what's what: not only in terms of the social/range distinction, but also so that if I started having malfunctions, I can keep an eye on the mag number, and perhaps just trace it to its roots, right then and there.

To me, this is not a Glock-vs-XD/m argument: or any brand X -versus- brand Y. It's just something to watch out for, during use, as well as may well figure into the purchase decision of some (which, honestly, should be based on more: most importantly, how any particular gun fits the hands/shooting style of any specific end user - which is always a unique interplay).

The mags on Glocks are a little higher on the round, and do have a little tab that looks a little like a feed ramp.

My advice is get a Glock 19...they shoot "tiny" little groups way out past the range of what the XD seemed capable of handling and mostly they are a point-shoot gun. In other words, in a pinch you can throw the thing up naturally and it shoots point of aim, just like extending your finger. First time I ever fired one I did this from 15ft and hit the B27 target between the eyes. Only 3 pistols I've ever seen that I could do that with and the other two are a Russian Makarov and a CZ-52 (never dry fire these-firing pin will break). If you get on youtube and look at the torture testing they have done on the Glocks, you will realize that Brazillian made XD is a maintainance liability (finish will wear off, it will rust, etc much faster than any Glock).
    I have both XDs and Glocks, and have to say that most of this is rubbish. The finish on the Glocks are better. An XD is every bit as accurate as Glock, and the XDm is probably a little more so. The grip angle is very subjective. XDs are made in Croatia, not Brazil. While they are an upstart compared to Glocks, the torture test videos of the XDs are as impressive as the Glocks.

Both are fine handguns, and each have their pros and cons. I have found both to be extremely reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by quietguy View Post
    Both are fine handguns, and each have their pros and cons. I have found both to be extremely reliable.
    ^ Exactly.

If you're a new shooter, and if it's going to be your "first and only gun" for a while, then go with the gun that works best in your hands right-off. Don't give it too much thought or start to debate the academics of the issue: it's irrelevant, as long as you can shoot and run *your* gun well.

Both are fine defensive firearms. If I shot the Glock better, I'd have a garage full of them.

I agree with quietguy; most of what Gunsmoke 16 said was rubbish.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    I always considered the Glock's polymer mag a drawback and was happy to see XD didn't follow suit. Polymer mags are very hard to load to full capacity and I've cut plenty of flesh trying to do so. Both guns are reliable although I prefer the XD's ergonomics/grip angle/ over the Glock's. I've owned both and find the XD fits me better.

I don't think that is possible. As has been mentioned, Glock magazines have a polymer "jacket" whereas the XD mags are just steel. I think if you added a polymer jacket, you'd end up with a magazine that is too thick to fit in the XD magwell. Remember XDs are a bit slimmer than double stack Glocks, and this is probably one of the reasons why.

My XD45 has been supremely reliable and great to shoot. I've also shot a Glock 21 which, for the time I had it, was supremely reliable and nice to shoot - and it was a grungy range rental, too. I think both companies make fine polymer pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    I always considered the Glock's polymer mag a drawback and was happy to see XD didn't follow suit. Polymer mags are very hard to load to full capacity and I've cut plenty of flesh trying to do so.
    Not sure why the polymer/steel mags would be harder to load to full? I've never had a problem, but YMMV.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

One thing I did like about my Glock 30 was the magazines. Very easy to load without the mag loader, and I see the benefit to the poly jacketed mag from a protection from dings, etc. standpoint. I also liked the full round count holes and the fact that they lined up nicely, easy to tell exactly how many rounds in it. I have a XD and I recently had a Glock. Both are fine weapons. I shoot the XD40sc very, very well and it carries easy. Ultimately the Glock was not a good fit for me from both my ability to be accurate with it (me, not the firearm) and carryability of the G30, but I was very impressed with many aspects of the weapon. I could see myself with a G19 at some point in the future.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links