Pre-Shooting New Glock Questions

This is a discussion on Pre-Shooting New Glock Questions within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've read a bunch of conflicting answers on this. I bought a new G19 last night. Do I need to oil/lube before my first shooting? ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Pre-Shooting New Glock Questions

I've read a bunch of conflicting answers on this. I bought a new G19 last night. Do I need to oil/lube before my first shooting? Some people say yes, some people say Glocks don't need it. Any feedback?
    A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them..."
    -George Washington

I make it a habit to field strip and clean every new gun I get, used or new in the box. It's a safety measure (helps ensure familiarity with the weapon, helps one to be sure there are no barrel obstructions or broken parts, etc).
    joker1, Old School and wmhawth like this.

I never did.

I was too excited to bother with cleaning and lubricating before shooting this wonder of mechanical engineering. I probably should have but a few thousand rounds later with only one cleaning and it has had zero problems. It cannot hurt to strip, clean, and lube before shooting and I would recommend that. However GLOCK is probably the one pistol that is ready to go right out of the box.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Yes.
    I know you're anxious to try it out, but a quick check of the Owner's Manual (Instructions for Use) under PM, Frequency of Servicing, reveals "...field strip, clean and lubricate: 1. When brand new, before the first time it is fired..."
    canav844 likes this.

GM
    IMO any firearm you acquire - no matter if it is new or used - should be properly cleaned and lubed before the first time you fire it; that is what I always do. When I clean the firearm I also inspect it to make sure that everything is like it is supposed to be. And I read the owner's manual too.
    Old School likes this.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    And yes, you can remove that coppery grease that came on it.

Glocks don't care what kind of lube you use (most won't notice the lack of) but don't get sloppy with it. Very little will keep your pistol running like a fine-tuned sewing machine.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

it isn't necessary but if it makes you feel good, do it

Like you, I recently purchased a G19. I followed the owners manual. My sense, if the manufacturer recommends something then I will heed their advice. If I need to return, for any reason, I can, in good conscience, say I followed their advice.

Mike
    10thmtn likes this.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

No,take it out,caress it,fondle it,do things to it that would make you have to register as a sex offender if caught,but please,don't add or take off the factory lube,after about 200 rounds you may want to add a small amount to the end of the barrel,but thats it.Now that said,regular cleaning and "small" amount of lube will suffice,HAPPY HUNTING!.

I would. When I got mine new and when my wife got hers new they had all the copper grease in there. I replaced it with grease of my own. On both pistols I found the barrel to have too much oil on it. And then the previous posts make a good point, its a good idea to inspect it for broken parts and obstructions before shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Gforty View Post
    Yes.
    I know you're anxious to try it out, but a quick check of the Owner's Manual (Instructions for Use) under PM, Frequency of Servicing, reveals "...field strip, clean and lubricate: 1. When brand new, before the first time it is fired..."
    This is the official answer. The copper colored grease it comes with is intended for storage only (they don't know how long a particular model will sit in case on a store shelf). It also provides a good opportunity for inspection of parts. It's new so it takes all of 3 minutes to do, no real reason not to, just make sure you don't over lube it.

For all of that said there's been more than one competitor that broke the seal on a NIB Glock after showing up to the firing line and been able to fair well, and not have a single malfunction issue.

Glock Certified Armorer

When you bought it, it came with the copper grease already on it...go shoot it, and then clean it.
    It's a Glock, it will work very well, right out of the box.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Isn't that (taking it apart and cleaning it, checking out all the parts) half the fun? I love studying the insides and outer parts, you learn alot and recognise things that are normal and changes as you shoot the heck out of it. Enjoy all phases of your new toy.

After taking a class on 'how to fully disassemble, clean and inspect your Glock' we were told that the Glock needs very little lubrication. It is okay to leave the copper grease in there, although many do remove it. There are only two places on a Glock that requires oil, and it's only 1 drop per place. Like many have said, take it out of the box, shoot it, take it home, clean it, DON'T get crazy with the oil, unlike 1911's which like to run very wet, Glocks don't.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links