Why you should carry one in the chamber! - Page 2

Why you should carry one in the chamber!

This is a discussion on Why you should carry one in the chamber! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I can rack the slide and chamber a round with one hand with my XDM, no belt, boot, etc necessary....

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree161Likes

Thread: Why you should carry one in the chamber!

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    I can rack the slide and chamber a round with one hand with my XDM, no belt, boot, etc necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    You are right, the videos they have been around a while. IMO people shall carry their firearms in the condition they want; it is their business and their lives. Personally, I always carry with one in the chamber because:

- I do not assume that I will have enough time to rack the slide.
    - I do not assume that if I rack the slide in a high stress situation I will not have a FTF.
    - I do not assume that I will be able to use both hands.
    - I know my firearm good enough to respect it and not to fear it.

Like people use to say, "Why turn your handgun into a handsgun?"
    Exactly! Always carry chambered. Not doing so is not trusting in your carry weapon or your own abilities.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

All I will say is that if law enforcement carries chambered then so will I. My gun is just as safe with a round in the chamber than without it, and much more useful that way.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Old video but a good reminder why I carry the 1911 cocked and locked. I practice the same drill both live fire and dry fire.

draw, click, bang.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

There are better places for training than front sight if you look around. I wouldn't make life choices from front sight training myself but everyone is responsible for themselves or at least we were long time ago.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    guy on u-tube loads with a smart motion of his forarm only.
    im sure the bbl spring is weak and he has a buffer protector--in other words--a tricked out gun.
    im not gonna post a link cause if you want to try....knock urselves out.

one calls it thinking but the premis is faulty. thus the resulting discussion is of no wordly value.

except as it may teach one how to recover from a gun gone bad. mayhap in time to say your final prayers.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

I think I equate this preference to carrying with the safety on or off (if you have a safety on your carry gun): to each his own, for personal comfort and safety reasons. So long as you're practiced and efficient in the manner with which you carry. I personally will always carry with one in the chamber for the same reasons GM mentioned earlier.

Because it's more convient to pull the trigger than to hit them with the gun, which is all you will be able to do if you need it now and carry chamber empty.
    DefConGun and JDE101 like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

As I have stated before, modern semi auto handguns are completely safe and in fact designed to be carried safely with a round in the chamber. There is no reason not to carry chambered except one's own distrust of their gun handling skills and/or safety.

Also, I have related the story of what happened to me in 2009, I was forced to actually draw on someone who was trying to carjack me and who was reaching for his own weapon. I did not have time to draw, rack the slide to chamber and then present the gun. I drew and aimed and, thankfully, that ended the entire thing as the scum bag stopped his draw and bolted. Had I needed to take the extra second to chamber (a second is a MUCH longer period of time than you think it is in a situation like this) I am very sure that instead of getting the drop on the scum bag and having him decide to run, it would have ended in an exchange of gunfire from roughly 4 feet between us.

If you are apprehensive about carrying chambered, perhaps you need to reassess your motives and need to carry a defensive firearm at all.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    guy on u-tube loads with a smart motion of his forarm only.
    im sure the bbl spring is weak and he has a buffer protector--in other words--a tricked out gun.
    im not gonna post a link cause if you want to try....knock urselves out.
    That is something I have wondered about. I noticed in the video that his slide was staying locked open. Even with a failure-to-feed I would have expected it to close half-way. I was wondering if maybe he accidentally ejected his magzine or something. I will NEVER modify my guns, especially my carry guns. A friend of mine who is also into guns has done several modifications to his guns, all of which I find pointless. At the range he is always having problems with those guns. I borrowed one from him one time because I was interested in maybe buying that model. I fiddled with it for 30 minutes and could only occasionally get it to fire. At the time I didn't realize it had been modified. When I returned the gun to him and told him it was malfunctioning he immediately knew the reason, telling me he had some kind of mod in there that would allow the gun to be full automatic. That actually made me sort of mad that he didn't tell me about that. What if I had pulled the trigger and shot off 5 or 6 rounds without realizing? Heck, I have serious doubts as to whether that gun was actually legal for me to even have with me. So I really got onto him about that. But it has also re-enforced the idea that any sort of mod that changes the internals of the gun from factory is probably not a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by CUTigers View Post
    There are better places for training than front sight if you look around. I wouldn't make life choices from front sight training myself but everyone is responsible for themselves or at least we were long time ago.
    Life choices? Hhmmmm?

I would like to know of some good training schools in Texas. I have never attended Front Sight and don't know of any "life choices" I have made based on a school I have never attended....suggestion on training in Texas in would greatly appreciated.

Carrying a gun without one in the chamber is like driving in a car with your seat belt across you, but not fully buckled.
    rammerjammer likes this.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    Carrying a gun without one in the chamber is like driving in a car with no 1st gear

better, but still in left field. but just being in the game makes us all winners on the same team.

yea team!!

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    That is something I have wondered about. I noticed in the video that his slide was staying locked open. Even with a failure-to-feed I would have expected it to close half-way. I was wondering if maybe he accidentally ejected his magzine or something. I will NEVER modify my guns, especially my carry guns. A friend of mine who is also into guns has done several modifications to his guns, all of which I find pointless. At the range he is always having problems with those guns. I borrowed one from him one time because I was interested in maybe buying that model. I fiddled with it for 30 minutes and could only occasionally get it to fire. At the time I didn't realize it had been modified. When I returned the gun to him and told him it was malfunctioning he immediately knew the reason, telling me he had some kind of mod in there that would allow the gun to be full automatic. That actually made me sort of mad that he didn't tell me about that. What if I had pulled the trigger and shot off 5 or 6 rounds without realizing? Heck, I have serious doubts as to whether that gun was actually legal for me to even have with me. So I really got onto him about that. But it has also re-enforced the idea that any sort of mod that changes the internals of the gun from factory is probably not a good idea.
    Wow I would think twice about hanging out with that friend....

Most modifications are done by replacing parts on a gun to fit what the intended purpose is. For instance changing the base pad on a magazine to a slimmer model that conceals better. Or changing the trigger on a 1911 to longer or shorter in order to fit the owner. Changing wood grips on a revolver to rubber. Changing sites on a Glock to 3 dot an owner is used to. There are thousands of customizing mods you can do... Many should be done by a qualified gunsmith.

Mods like trying to make something full auto or cutting springs to make a lighter trigger is dangerous.... People that do it give gun owners and legit gunsmiths a bad name.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

VIP Member
    .40 don't worry about starting a retread thread there will always be interest and comments and welcome to the forum.

In the first video the victim was shot without knowledge there was even a threat or multiple attackers in the room so even if he had a locked and loaded firearm in his hand he still would have been shot. Now with that said if he had a round chambered and was able to return accurate fire it is possible that the BG would have retreated but in todays society with the increase in general violence just because you are returning fire does not automatically make the BG leave. Many simply dont care.
    If that were the case crime would be at an all time low. Watch the video again the owner/clerk was firing back and did the BG flee? No he advanced and eventually took the gun away.
    The second video yes he was prepared and had the mindset to survive. Piazza is always one for the dramatic flare and has a tendency to use videos that suit his purpose at that time. I am not a fan of Dr. Pizza Guy. He is a person who runs a big ponzi scam in Nevada selling real estate and time shares on housing and land that either does not exist or in not even developed. As far as the training at front sight never been there.
    They do offer entry level courses but their claims of shoot better than a SWAT cop or Navy Seal are overexaggerated to say the least but he can be entertaining and you can learn something from his videos and courses even if it is what not to do. Now before the Front Sight supporters form a lynch mob I have no issue with the instructors or the program any training is good training as long as you can sort out the BS my issue is with the owner.

Now adric22. I am impressed that you have percentages and odds on how well you can survive a lethal encounter and that is what I am referring to not the office bully who cuts in front of someone in the break room. A lethal encounter will happen quickly, be dirty, nasty, loud and bloody. I pray for the person who is involved in such an encounter unprepared. Just remember the BG does not subscribe to your flip chart of odds, probabilities and guesstiments of how well you will perform.

The following statements are my opinion and not a personal attack but your post needs to be addressed.

I'm quite certain that a completely unloaded gun (no rounds even in the magazine) would add an additional 20% to that success rate, just by brandishing the weapon to the bad guy. I'm also quite certain that carrying an unchambered gun would allow me to prevail in all but the most unexpected situations (such as presented in this video).

The above statement indicates to me, again my opinion, that you lead a rather sheltered lifestyle and other than watching events unfold on the news have never encountered a violent or dedicated person attempting to harm you. You show a weapon you need to be prepared to use it and the weapon needs to be in a condition to use it with minimal effort.
    The act of showing the bad guy, in your scenario, an unloaded weapon and he leaves you alone is total horse poo. What are you going to do when you whip out your unloaded magnum super blaster to "scare him off" and he pulls a .25 auto and shoots you in the forehead? Criminals today, generally speaking, don't really care that you have a gun as the probably have one to and are much more willing to use it than you are.
    I have seen men cut to shreds by someone who knows how to use a blade before they could be shot and they had a gun in their hand. More than likely if you pull out an unloaded weapon to scare the BG off he is going to take it away from you which I believe is what happened in the video and again even with incoming fire the BG did not retreat but advanced while firing and took the clerks gun away.

In regards to your comments about carrying an empty weapon. Yes people in California in order to OC have to carry unloaded. Many of them however OC just to make a statement not for self protection. In this armpit of a country depending on where I am at I must download my weapon and remove the magazine and the chambered round. Do I feel unarmed or would I leave it at home or course not. I have access to two loaded mags on my belt and can perform a reload rather quickly in order to get the gun into action but as a contractor I carry weapons everyday all day. Can the everyday person who OC's do it under stress without fumbling and before they are shot/stabbed/hurt? Not many.

The key to surviving a lethal force encounter is being consistent everyday of the week. Not one day no chambered round the next chambered and so on. As someone stated with today's modern handguns there is no reason not to carry locked and loaded but it is a personal choice. Again my opinion, if you do not carry with a round chambered because you feel uncomfortable then you should shoot and train until you are comfortable.

In closing you have to be mentally and physically prepared to defend yourself. This includes carrying a round in the chamber ready to fight for your life because that is what it may come to in the blink of an eye.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links