Why you should carry one in the chamber!

This is a discussion on Why you should carry one in the chamber! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; These are 2 videos from Dr. Piazza. I'm sure many of you have seen these. But.....This is why I carry the gun I carry and ...

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree161Likes

Thread: Why you should carry one in the chamber!

Why you should carry one in the chamber!

These are 2 videos from Dr. Piazza. I'm sure many of you have seen these. But.....This is why I carry the gun I carry and carry one in the chamber and train often! The first one is of a guy that doesn't have one chambered. The second one has one in the chamber.

Front Sight's Monday Blog: Why You Carry a Loaded Gun...
    Interview with a Gunfighter

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by 40strapped View Post
    These are 2 videos from Dr. Piazza. I'm sure many of you have seen these. But.....This is why I carry the gun I carry and carry one in the chamber and train often! The first one is of a guy that doesn't have one chambered. The second one has one in the chamber.
    Not another thread on this.. there is no description on the video, but from what I can tell the guy was actually shot completely unaware, then tried to pull his gun out and return fire. So he was already at a huge disadvantage before he even drew his gun. he was also being shot at by at least 2 bad guys. I'd say chances are even if he had a round chambered, he would have probably still lost this fight.. granted, he might have gotten a few shots off at the bad guys, though.

VIP Member
    Not to knock your post but anything Dr. Pizza Guy says I have to question.

I can almost with 99.99999999% confidence say if you are carrying a handgun without a round in the chamber you will lose every self defense encounter you have.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    Not another thread on this.. there is no description on the video, but from what I can tell the guy was actually shot completely unaware, then tried to pull his gun out and return fire. So he was already at a huge disadvantage before he even drew his gun. he was also being shot at by at least 2 bad guys. I'd say chances are even if he had a round chambered, he would have probably still lost this fight.. granted, he might have gotten a few shots off at the bad guys, though.
    Just because it has been discussed before, does not mean that it is a useless thread. I do agree however that the guy who was shot had no idea he was about to be shot... just reinforces why I DO carry with one in the chamber. Bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Anyone have popcorn? I'm gonna sit this one out, but need something to snack on.

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    I can almost with 99.99999999% confidence say if you are carrying a handgun without a round in the chamber you will lose every self defense encounter you have.
    You sound rather confident in your assessment. I don't see it that way. I am quite certain I can prevail in 75% of self-defense situations without a gun at all. I'm quite certain that a completely unloaded gun (no rounds even in the magazine) would add an additional 20% to that success rate, just by brandishing the weapon to the bad guy. I'm also quite certain that carrying an unchambered gun would allow me to prevail in all but the most unexpected situations (such as presented in this video).

Perhaps your definition of "self defense encounter" includes that all such encounters will be a bad guy with a gun who intends to kill you. My definition of "self defense encounter" includes many other more likely scenarios.

Consider the following. If the law only provided you are allowed to carry a gun if it is unchambered. For example, people who open-carry in California can't even keep a magazine in their gun, but they still carry anyway. So if the law were written as such, would you just leave your gun at home because you consider it useless without a round in the chamber?
    Chevy-SS and baren like this.

No offense taken tacman605. And Adric22... lol i did research some of the previous discussions (after I posted this) and saw you took some heat on this subject lol.... this was not my point to this video. I"m still new to this forum so please excuse me. I am in no way posting this to support any argument etc... I am simply posting this because when I spent a lot of time trying to decide what weapon to carry these videos had a big impact on why I chose what I did. I don't know much about Piazza except he has an awesome training program that most people speak highly of. Again, not trying to support or argue anyones opinions etc... These 2 videos had an impact on why I chose what I chose.

A gun is like a bra... unless its loaded, it useless. I attached a picture to prove my point. JMHO.
    Attached Images
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

GM
    You are right, the videos have been around for a while. IMO people shall carry their firearms in the condition they want; it is their business and their lives. Personally, I always carry with one in the chamber because:

- I do not assume that I will have enough time to rack the slide.
    - I do not assume that if I rack the slide in a high stress situation I will not have a FTF.
    - I do not assume that I will be able to use both hands.
    - I know my firearm well enough to respect it and not to fear it.

Like people use to say, "Why turn your handgun into a handsgun?"
    Last edited by GM; July 13th, 2011 at 05:47 PM.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I used to not carry one in the chamber... then I 'grew up' and loaded all six chambers...
    --------------------------------------

Really, though, it is all about personal preference. Carry what you carry, and if you're happy with it, everyone else will be too.
    BruceGibson likes this.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    Not to knock your post but anything Dr. Pizza Guy says I have to question.

Agreed!
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem."
    Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985

Quote Originally Posted by 40strapped View Post
    No offense taken tacman605. And Adric22..
    I've taken no offense. It is just that whenever this subject comes up and the overwhelming majority leans towards carrying chambered (which is fine with me) I feel that I need to speak up for the minority on this topic and present some of the logic for the other way of thinking.

eb
    If the guy in the first video had been able to squeeze off a shot right after pulling that gun, I'm willing to bet the BGs would have exited stage left immediately, especially if he had scored a hit. He's lucky he didn't get essentially executed.

This is, IMHO of course... everyones entitled to do what they are comfortable with... but carrying a gun without one in the chamber is nothing more than poor planning and insufficient training in this day and age. With the guns that are available today, there is simply no good excuse. Again, IMHO. Take my XD subcompact for example. This thing has a trigger AND a web safety on it. It would take a miracle to discharge that thing unintentionally while in the holster. My LCR revolver has such a long and deliberate take-up, that again, it would take quite a bit to set that gun off. Today's "carry" guns for the most part are clearly designed to be carried "hot". If you are someone that simply can't come to terms with this, hell I'd at least recommend something like the LC9. You can carry that "hot" with the safety on. It has a mile long heavy trigger pull too. IMHO the safety is likely to get you killed too though. But hey, its better than having to rack the slide I guess after being shot like that first guy...

I've seen people also refer to alternating their method of carry, chambered sometimes, not chambered sometimes. This IMHO, is the worst thing you can do. Assuming you'll have presence of mind to remember exactly how you're carrying that day and be able to employ the weapon rapidly is a dream. Choose a method that works and stick to it I say. If nothing else, consistency is better than nothing.

I consider myself a good shot and proficient with a firearm, however what I don't consider myself is a cowboy, dirty harry, or a highly trained combat fighter. I know my limitations and I'm honest with myself in what is likely to happen in a situation like in that video. For those that don't carry their guns ready to rock n' roll, I sincerely hope the odds are with you (and with us all for that matter) and that you never find yourself in a situation where you need that gun. Its safe to assume most BGs aren't going to point an unchambered weapon at you.

Quote Originally Posted by eb View Post
    I've seen people also refer to alternating their method of carry, chambered sometimes, not chambered sometimes. This IMHO, is the worst thing you can do. Assuming you'll have presence of mind to remember exactly how you're carrying that day and be able to employ the weapon rapidly is a dream. Choose a method that works and stick to it I say. If nothing else, consistency is better than nothing.
    I'm guilty of this and have mentioned it a few times. I've also thought about the consequences of this, but I figure the worst case scenario is that in a moment of panic, I rack the slide (as I always practice to do) which would simply eject the live round and load a new one. I carry one chambered once or twice a month, usually for a few hours. The knowledge of the chambered round sits in the back of my mind almost like I'm carrying a hand-grenade with the pin pulled. So, at this point I don't think I'm likely to forget.

eb
    Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    I'm guilty of this and have mentioned it a few times. I've also thought about the consequences of this, but I figure the worst case scenario is that in a moment of panic, I rack the slide (as I always practice to do) which would simply eject the live round and load a new one. I carry one chambered once or twice a month, usually for a few hours. The knowledge of the chambered round sits in the back of my mind almost like I'm carrying a hand-grenade with the pin pulled. So, at this point I don't think I'm likely to forget.
    Yeah I've seen it mentioned a few times, I didn't know where/who. Look man, don't take this the wrong way, this is coming from a genuine concern for the safety of you and yours... However you choose to carry the gun is your business, but do yourself a favor and be consistent at least. You are kidding yourself if you REALLY think that simply knowing in your head how you strapped on that gun that particular day will save you, IMHO. I can pretty much guarantee unless you are accustomed to being under fire, that if something happened to you or I like in that video, that neither of us would be thinking 100% clearly... I know I likely wouldn't, and I'm honest with myself about that, as much as I like to think I'd rambo the MF'er. :)

Someone above made a good point too, carrying unchambered has turned a 1-handed gun into a 2-handed gun. Unless you're some trained spec ops guy that can rack the slide with one hand on your boot heel, you've made several assumptions that you'll even be able to have both hands. If someone is actively attacking you physically, it'll never happen. This is certainly something that needs to be thought about long and hard. I guess I'd train myself to hit the "perp" over the head with it then if I couldn't manage to rack the slide because I was fighting him off...

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Links