Suggestions on 1911

Suggestions on 1911

This is a discussion on Suggestions on 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Good Morning Everyone ! This is going to be a great weekend. Just got second quarter bonus and you guessed it! Want to get a ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By OD*

Thread: Suggestions on 1911

Suggestions on 1911

Good Morning Everyone !
    This is going to be a great weekend. Just got second quarter bonus and you guessed it!
    Want to get a new addition to the collection. Have 2 Springfields in .45 that I love dearly. Im looking for some suggestions for a 1911 chambered in either 9mm or .40. with a 3 or 3.5 barrel. I was looking at the Springfield EMP or Colt agent. Any other suggestions would be great. Got around 1k to spend as I have to get something for the wife, 29yr Anniversary coming the end of the month. Kind of leaning to the EMP but dont know anyone who has one. Great delima to be in but there so many choices.

Thanks in advancefor your help!
    TC

I prefer Colt over any others, however, the Agent series is without sights which I don't like. Since you already have two springers, why not keep the family unity and get the EMP? I have no practical experience with either.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    I'll echo Gman's comments. I thought I really wanted an Agent until I picked it up and realized that they really don't have sights. To me, the EMP has better ergo's hands-down.

OD*
    Gman, TALO Distributors Inc., is bringing out a New Agent with XS sights (O7810DXS) could be interesting . Or, he could get the same pistol with sights, the Defender.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by tclance View Post
    Good Morning Everyone !
    This is going to be a great weekend. Just got second quarter bonus and you guessed it!
    Want to get a new addition to the collection. Have 2 Springfields in .45 that I love dearly. Im looking for some suggestions for a 1911 chambered in either 9mm or .40. with a 3 or 3.5 barrel. I was looking at the Springfield EMP or Colt agent. Any other suggestions would be great. Got around 1k to spend as I have to get something for the wife, 29yr Anniversary coming the end of the month. Kind of leaning to the EMP but dont know anyone who has one. Great delima to be in but there so many choices.

Thanks in advancefor your help!
    TC
    In that size / caliber I'd go EMP or nothing. I love me a nice Colt but in the 3" non .45ACP I'm going to go with the non-standard dimensions of the EMP. 1911s in "short" chamberings can be iffy. Longer cartridges such as the .45ACP, 10mm and .38 super? Sure thing, but 9mm and .40? No thanks, give me the gun re-designed to work better with the short rounds.

gman,
    My bad,I ment the deffender, did not like the one without sights either.
    Regards,
    TC

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    In that size / caliber I'd go EMP or nothing. I love me a nice Colt but in the 3" non .45ACP I'm going to go with the non-standard dimensions of the EMP. 1911s in "short" chamberings can be iffy. Longer cartridges such as the .45ACP, 10mm and .38 super? Sure thing, but 9mm and .40? No thanks, give me the gun re-designed to work better with the short rounds.
    Ahh, sorry, overlooked the part about being in 9 or 40. I'll have to agree with you on this one too.
    JD likes this.

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

While I am not a fan of Springfield 1911s (I own about 20 1911-types, one is a Springfield I got cheap enough to justify making it work.) I've only ever heard of one EMP that was a lemon. My friend Mas Ayoob is an EMP fan. I've personally seen two Defenders that were horrible lemons, one of which I worked on (seemingly endlessly) until it would work. In fairness to Colt, though, that has been a few years back, and both of those were .45s. I'd go with the EMP. I've been thinking of buying one, myself.

I like the look of the EMP but somehow the cold defender is my preference. Only thing that sucks is the defender is only .45 and I want a 9
    I have yet to be attacked by a block of ballistic gelatin but.........

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Since you want a 9mm or .40 my vote goes to the EMP.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by defensive007 View Post
    I like the look of the EMP but somehow the cold defender is my preference. Only thing that sucks is the defender is only .45 and I want a 9
    The Colt Defender does come in 9mm.

O7002D
    Colt Defender Series

Links