Newbie with some questions

This is a discussion on Newbie with some questions within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Lots of good advice up above. To add to it, let me reiterate the importance of doing your research. Between the various gun forums, user ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Newbie with some questions

Lots of good advice up above. To add to it, let me reiterate the importance of doing your research. Between the various gun forums, user reviews, gun blogs, and youtube videos, you can deeply explore a number of options and narrow your list.

Semiautomatic vs Revolver
    Not really a choice. You're going to get both, sooner or later. But maybe start with a revolver as they are simpler. Go for .38 spl or .357.

Capacity
    There's really nothing quite like sending 18 rounds downrange fast as you can pull the trigger. The Ruger SR9c is a possible HD and CCW choice.

Holsters and belts
    Big surprise. Finding a way to carry your gun concealed comfortably IWB, OWB, and maybe in your pocket or under your shoulder means you'll be spending as much on leather as you will on the gun.

Practice
    Best gun in the world won't help you if you can't shoot it. Expect to put in some time on training, classes, and practice until you are happy that you can hit what you aim at, under stress.

This is all a lot more complicated than you might imagine.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbiesdad View Post
    A fine selection of weaponry.

A POINTY STICK?

Distinguished Member Array pinklady's Avatar
    Welcome from Virginia.

GM
    Welcome to the forum

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Heres the skinny; buy a reputable, popular pistol. Some of the brand names have already been listed, and thats a good place to start. DO NOT buy a sub compact pistol as your first gun. Thats a bad mistake. You should be shooting this gun a lot, and it makes the learning curve a lot longer and steeper with a small gun. Something midsize would be OK, such as a Glock 19 or Sig 228/9, but full size would be better.

Find a range and take a couple of hour basic handgun class. This will teach you a lot you will need to know to make a educated choice. They'll teach how to grip the gun (sound trivial, but its very important) and how to align sights etc. That stuff is critical in making a good choice for you.

Also look at factory support and parts/ accessory availability. Noobs will almost always pay attention to the wrong thing ( how it feels in their hands ) over this important factor. If you cant get parts or have to order anything you want for it off the internet, it was a poor choice in my opinion. Check out local shops inventories. Do they have magazines on the shelf? Holsters? Sights? Do they have any parts on hand? How expensive are those parts to get? For example, HK, Beretta and Springfield (to a lesser degree) are notoriously bad about letting parts out on the market. HK and Beretta's customer service is horrible to deal with. But, they do build quality stuff. Glock by far is the best choice if your considering this factor alone.

Third is, how natural does the gun point for you? Pick a spot about 7 yards or so away from you on a wall. If you can bring the gun up and that front sight is resting near that point with out any adjustment from you, you are light years ahead in your training already. Some guns will come up low, others high... its a lot easier to start with a natural pointing gun. Most new shooters like the M&P series for this.

Once those factors are considered, only then worry about the trivial stuff. I know I'll catch some heat from the "how it feels in your hand" comment, but thats such crappy answer in a can. You're not buying a recliner, you're buying a weapon. You're not buying something you will be walking around with in your hands all day long. Buy a pistol a tool that fits your needs, worry about the aesthetics later.
    I agree with everything you write. You are right, how natural the gun point for you is more important than "how it feels in your hand".

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post

Find a range and take a couple of hour basic handgun class. This will teach you a lot you will need to know to make a educated choice. They'll teach how to grip the gun (sound trivial, but its very important) and how to align sights etc. That stuff is critical in making a good choice for you.
    That is a very good advice! Although it might be difficult for him, it would be very good if the OP also tried to find out which platform works best for him.

The OP does not mention any price, he just writes "I'm pretty sure I will go with a 9mm that I can keep by my bed and take to a range for fun"; he is not looking for a CC. If it points natural for him, then why not also consider a BHP? Yes, it is a SAO, but it is not difficult to learn how to use it. It was not for too many years ago that people started with a SAO pistol; and many people still do it. Once again, he will not CC it (he could do it without any problems if he wanted it). He could consider a quality 1911 too. IMO, because of their size and weight a full-size BHP or a full-size 1911 are very good first firearms. I think that nowadays we forget all too easily how it was before Glock and M&P.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

welcome from okl.

A_D
    Welcome from Connecticut!

Sent from my SAMSUNG Android using Tapatalk
    "The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time."

-Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Welcome to the forum

I agree with everything you write. You are right, how natural the gun point for you is more important than "how it feels in your hand".

That is a very good advice! Although it might be difficult for him, it would be very good if the OP also tried to find out which platform works best for him.

The OP does not mention any price, he just writes "I'm pretty sure I will go with a 9mm that I can keep by my bed and take to a range for fun"; he is not looking for a CC. If it points natural for him, then why not also consider a BHP? Yes, it is a SAO, but it is not difficult to learn how to handle it; it was not for too many years ago that people started with a SAO pistol (and many still do it). Once again, he will not CC it (but he could do it without any problems if he wanted it). He could consider a quality 1911 too. IMO, because of its size and weight a full-size BHP or 1911 are very good first firearms. I think that nowadays we forget all too easily how it was before Glock and M&P.

Respectfully, I don't know if a Browning HP is the best thing for the first gun. I'm thinking the OP may want something that has the most multipurpose...ie good for home defense and maybe wants to get into CC after owning it for a while...then decides that IDPA is the coolest thing ever. The BHP is an awesome firearm but the simple do everythingness of the modern striker-fired polymer guns really makes them a perfect choice for the new shooter. I would look at glock, SA XD, S&W M&P, ruger SR-9 and so on.

Everyone has already pretty much said everything that you need to do. The nice thing is that once you narrow it down to a range of guns, once you see and handle them they will call to you and that (with everything else everyone said) is all you need.

I personally am anti-glock simply because i prefer a different look and feel. I purchased a Springfield XD and love it. I know lots of people love Glocks too, there are many great gun manufacturers. Stick with the major brands and you wont be disappointed. Its a lot to take in, but oh so much fun!

And welcome from CA,

BigJon

VIP Member
    Fit and feel are a good starting point. Once you find several that meet that criteria, do research on them. Then see if there is a range where you can rent and shoot them. Remember with a range gun it is probably going to be much dirtier than your gun ever will be. They don't get cleaned near as often as they should.

I've seen many makes mentioned in other post, but have not scene any mention of CZ. While they don't have the name recognition of Colt, S&W, Springfield and Glock. They are well built, reliable and accurate, as well as reasonably priced.

Only other thing I would recommend, is don't get a sub-compact for your first gun. While easy to conceal, they are seldom fun to shoot.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by macdefense View Post
    Just a couple things to add to the good advice you've already gotten. If you read gun magazines, take their reviews with a grain of salt. They make their living off advertising from gun manufacturers and it shows in their reviews.
    Also, don't listen to friends or advisers who say you have to buy their brand or have to avoid a brand they don't like. Any of the brands recommended above are good choices. Finding a firearm that carries and shoots well for you is a matter of personal fit and preference. Buy what works for you, not what your buddies think is cool.
    Listen to those friends whole heartedly if they tell you not to buy a Taurus!
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I was trying to be as impartial as possible, but take all this into concideration-----------then go buy a Glock 19. You can drop it, beat it, leave it outide in a rain storm, take it camping and get it muddy, hammer in nails to hang up that picture of your girlfriend or boyfriend, and then when it's all said and done with 25,000 rounds through it in thirty years you can finally get around to cleaning it the first time before handing it down to your kids\grandkids.
    Doodle likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by NoSheepHere View Post
    I was trying to be as impartial as possible, but take all this into concideration-----------then go buy a Glock 19. You can drop it, beat it, leave it outide in a rain storm, take it camping and get it muddy, hammer in nails to hang up that picture of your girlfriend or boyfriend, and then when it's all said and done with 25,000 rounds through it in thirty years you can finally get around to cleaning it the first time before handing it down to your kids\grandkids.
    They are ugly as sin but I sort of have to agree as much as I don't want to.

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Fit and feel are a good starting point. Once you find several that meet that criteria, do research on them. Then see if there is a range where you can rent and shoot them. Remember with a range gun it is probably going to be much dirtier than your gun ever will be. They don't get cleaned near as often as they should.

I've seen many makes mentioned in other post, but have not scene any mention of CZ. While they don't have the name recognition of Colt, S&W, Springfield and Glock. They are well built, reliable and accurate, as well as .

Only other thing I would recommend, is don't get a sub-compact for your first gun. While easy to conceal, they are seldom fun to shoot.
    CZ’s are good firearms, and the CZ 75 is a very nice pistol. I have been looking at the 75 B SA; a very reasonably priced SAO ($487 & free shipping). I wish they made a SAO P-01.

I do not know how the CS is because I have never used it.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

take me with you hahaha I love spending someone else's money at a gun shop. then maybe you'd let me try it out at the range. Seriously you have some great advice so far. Go forth and conquer. But as was said before I'm sure I am not the only one that would like to know what you choose and why. So let us know.
    Be nice to people--they outnumber you 6.5 billion to 1

As best you can, do all your research with as little bias as possible...I can almost guarantee you will come out with an excellent firearm if you do, and one that you can use for concealed carry as well (and I am not saying sub- compact). Don't be impulsive or impatient or you will end up with something you don't like...and will lose money reselling it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links